“Not Fancy, but Convenient”
Review of Rodeway Inn

Rodeway Inn
Ranked #25 of 26 Hotels in York
Reviewed 2 September 2010

I booked a room here because I was attending a York Revolution baseball game. The hotel is only 2 blocks from the stadium. I was a bit leery, given the highly negative reviews of past years. However, I was pleasantly surprised! I paid $41, senior rate, practically flophouse rates these days. For this I got a quiet and clean room, a good chair and ottoman, a desk, free wireless internet, decent TV channels, a fridge and microwave, and even an iron. The locks worked fine, parking was not an issue, and there were no parties in the parking lot, as others have noted. Staff was pleasant. As other travelers have noted, the breakfast is pretty puny, but at that room price, I can go buy a nice breakfast up the block for $5 and still be ahead. The hotel is next door to one of York's best restaurants, the Left Bank and just down the block from an Irish tavern, the Valencia Ballroom, and the Strand-Capitol Performing Arts complex. The hotel is in downtown York, so things are a bit quiet at night and I would not stray too far away from the George Street corridor. However, I walked back from the ball game about 11:00 pm and had no fears. All in all, a good deal and convenient location.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled solo
4  Thank jwpColorado

Reviewed 23 May 2010

I was in York, PA to run a marathon. Not from Pennsylvania, I booked this hotel ahead of time due to the proximity to the beginning of the race. I arrived after dark and was very nervous about the area the hotel is located. Once I pulled into the parking lot, I was even more distressed about the people loitering on the grounds and on the balconcies of the outdoor access rooms. I did not feel safe, and ended up having to stay elsewhere. If you are going to York, please stay at a hotel off one of the major interstates.

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled solo
3  Thank JillO402015
Reviewed 18 January 2010

This hotel is in downtown York, PA and has its own parking lot. Our king non-smoking room was clean and spacious. You get an ice bucket and plastic cups but no coffee pot. There was an ironing board, iron, and hairdryer in the room. Bathroom sick had enough counter space to set makeup bag but was not large. There was one big rolling desk chair in the room. It could use a second chair but I was satisfied with the room. Breakfast was muffins, danish, and cold cereal.

• Stayed: January 2010, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Ginny H
Reviewed 27 October 2009

Arrived here at 10pm on a Thursday and immediately went for a walk to get something to eat/drink. The area was deserted and nowhere was open. Very odd. I'm used to staying off Arsenal Rd where places are open late or even all night, so that was a disappointment. If you're there earlier then there are a few places nearby, but don't plan on a late night.

Parking was tight and the number of spaces quite limited.

The reception was a little shabby with a reluctant receptionist. No information about breakfast or amenities was provided. The building looked a little run down and my room was at the end on the first floor. The elevators were very noisy and the room, while OK, lacked most basic amenities. Not even a clock radio.

This is definitely a budget hotel. If you plan to be out all day and all evening then it's OK for somewhere to crash for the night. Next time I'll probably go back to the more familiar hotels in a more lively area.

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled on business
1  Thank Pinball_Traveller
Reviewed 19 August 2009

I have never written a review for any hotel in my life. But this time I found that the only way I can tell my nightmare story is through a review. I booked a room in this hotel through expedia because I wanted to spend a nice time at Hershey park with my family. When I parked my car in the hotel parking lot, my wife saw people spitting from the second floor of the hotel a couple of people were sitting on the stairs smoking drugs. Anyway, I decided it was only two days, and I had to be patient. The receptionist does not have any customer service etiquettes. When I opened the door to my room I smell alcohol and smoking even if I booked a non-smoking room. some people also were blocking the way to the room. it was just a miserable hotel. When I went back to the office, I asked for a refund, and they refused to do that. So I had to go to a different hotel. It was just a loss of money and time. I will never ever go their again.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled with family
3  Thank whereismygoodtrip
Reviewed 8 June 2009

We just returned from a long weekend in York to attend a large car show. We decided to give the Rodeway a try, but were hesitant because of some of the earlier reviews. We were pleasantly surprised to find that the rooms were very pleasant and clean. There were several other couples in our group, and they agreed. The only odd thing was that although all of the rooms were the same price, they all had different amenities...or none.
For example, microwave, fridge....some had sitting area, some had only a shower stall and no tub. We thought that was unusual. There is also only one parking space per room, so if you have more than one vehicle, it may be a problem. Staff was great...we plan to stay again next year.

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled as a couple
3  Thank welltraveled2008
Reviewed 22 May 2009

My family and I (including an 80 year-old woman) stayed one night in 3 contiguous rooms and were satisfied with the experience. The rooms appeared clean, the beds were very comfortable and everything functioned as it should, including A/C and refrigerators in each room. The bathrooms were perfectly fine and the stand-up showers seemed to have been renovated recently. Front desk service was efficient and noise from other rooms and the surrounding urban area was minimal. The complimentary breakfast included cereal, pastries, muffins, milk, OJ and coffee. I payed a total of $53.94 per room... a tremendous value. I'd stay there again without hesitation.

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled with family