“Book Lover's Paradise”
Review of The York Emporium

The York Emporium
Ranked #3 of 18 Shopping in York
More attraction details
Owner description: Central Pennsylvania's used book and curiosity shop with 19,000 square feet of fun stuff in downtown York, PA. More than 250,000 titles on on the shelves (90% hardcover; 10% paperback) & comics & records & antiques & militaria & stuff.
York, Pennsylvania
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 15 helpful votes
“Book Lover's Paradise”
Reviewed 28 April 2012

As a longtime collector of vintage book titles, this place made me salivate the minute I stepped through the door. A HUGE collection of virtually every kind of book you can think of and then some, all somewhat organized by category, yet not so organized that you don't feel as if you're in a modern book store. Lot's of cool vintage collectibles and antiques are scattered about, great background music all will enjoy, and plenty of sitting areas for review and perusal. I'm just sorry it took me a decade to discover this hidden gem, but my wife and I will definitely return!

Visited April 2012

36 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 25 helpful votes
“The Best Book Store on the East Coast”
Reviewed 21 November 2011

We spent a long time just wandering through, found some really great deals and some really hard to find books. The kids loved it too!

Visited October 2011
1 Thank murraymonsters
PA
29 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 52 helpful votes
“Great place to buy, sell, and trade”
Reviewed 20 July 2011

I agree with everything that the above reviewer stated except that we did not get any brownies or coffee but they did give my daughter a tootsie roll. I just wanted to add a couple of things from a seller's point of view. The owners looked through our entire bin on the spot. Although he doesn't pay much for books, cds, vhs tapes, dvds or video games, he is upfront about what he will pay. He is willing to fairly assess the value of rarer items by looking them up on the internet. When my son wanted more for his items, the owner told him that he didn't blame him and to hold onto them longer and they might be worth more in the future. He was very friendly and gently assessed my son's items.

Visited July 2011
1 Thank writersblock42
Hanover, Pennsylvania
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 11 helpful votes
“Books galore! Magazines, antiques, music - you name it! Friendly place!”
Reviewed 22 June 2011

My wife and I recently had the pleasure of stopping in at the York Emporium. It's an older warehouse building tucked back in a small parking lot off of Market St. in downtown York, PA. The owner and his wife were extremely friendly, offering us coffee and fresh baked brownies! (we were amazed and touched by their homespun kindness)

There are books everywhere! They are organized by subject and are priced very reasonably. The York Emporium also has old newspapers (great for historic research) and magazines. I was also excited to see antiques spread around the store for sale and music in all formats - vinyl records, cassettes, 78's - you name it!

Between the free coffee and music playing, I thought I was at home! There is also a WiFi connection in case you bring your laptop or smartphone. Jim and Pam Lewin, the owners, thought of everything! Not only that, but I was further astounded to see that they host events - like Science Fiction Saturday, Horrible Saturday (horror fiction themed), and the Cigar Box Guitar festival in August.

It's a lot to wrap your head around, but it's a very vibrant, intellectually stimulating place and the best thing about it is, it's a very welcoming environment. The owners go out of their way to make you feel at home, but they also let you roam around and browse in peace. They don't bug you, either!

I was a little embarrassed when I realized I was in the store past closing time. The owner, Jim, said he never kicks anyone out of the store. He just stays open...now that's hospitality! The York Emporium is a great place and one I plan to return to many times!

Visited May 2011