“I had no problems with it”

Four Points by Sheraton York
Ranked #16 of 25 Hotels in York
NY
“I had no problems with it”
Reviewed 3 October 2011

Spent a sat night there - on the way to somewhere else - using a paltry amount of points (SPG member). Front desk clerk could not have been nicer, faster or more accommodating. Room/bathroom was fine (SPG preferred room) - weekend breakfast buffet was exceptionally good (free, natch). All staff I came into contact with very friendly - maybe trying to overcome bad reviews. I didn't expect much, and was pleasantly surprised....(of course the distant car alarm that went off all night - probably from the flea bag hotel up the road - kept my wife awake - but not the hotel's fault)

• Stayed October 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank JAS57NY

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
new york
Reviewed 2 October 2011

This is the 2nd time I have stayed at this hotel. I was going to my daughter's family weekend for York College of PA. This hotel is close to her school and for the price it is definitely worth the money. You even get breakfast.
We got to the room and it was really cold. We put the heat up and it was not working so we called the front desk and with in minutes the maintenance person was there.
When we returned to the room we had a nice warm room.
This hotel even has a bar and a restaurant.

Room Tip: Try not to get a room by the elevator. Even though we did not hear noise I like to be away the traff...
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank Shelly S
White Plains, New York
Reviewed 12 September 2011

We have stayed at the Four Points by Sheraton in York several times over the last year. It is an older property that is good.

The good: large pool & hot tub that were in good working condition. The rooms are well designed, clean & comfortable. Breakfast buffet (complementary on weekend stay) was excellent and the staff did a great job keeping the food replenished and fresh.

The downside: the large pillow shams are "pilling" which was not a big deal as we did not sleep on the pillows.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank VKayMV
Highland Park, NJ
Reviewed 12 September 2011

Despite it's location (near a large commuter intersection, rather than in a tourist neighborhood), the Four Points in York provided pleasant accommodations central to a number of family friendly sights. The facilities were kept up well, and there were all of the expected amenities of this chain - ample parking, free wifi, a pool (larger than expected), an exercise room, and complimentary coffee.

Rooms were clean and quiet. I would not hesitate in returning.

2 Thank TheRat
New York City, New York
Reviewed 30 August 2011

I stayed at the Sheraton Four Points recently overnight for a nearby wedding. I had heard this was their answer to the Hyatt Place (a brand I've stayed at and enjoyed) and so I took a shot with them.

I booked through their website and took a so-called "suicide" rate, one that was much cheaper than normal but was non-refundable under any circumstances. I felt this rate was more than fair.

Upon arrival, we were greeted by a wonderful front clerk. I had red past bad reviews about bad or rude service and was wary but this gentlemen was truly fantastic, letting me know about some of their services and a bit about the area along with getting us checked in quickly.

I feel the front lobby is nice, it appears recently re-decorated as does the restaurant. Both looked appealing. The rest of the hotel, including my room, I can understand the complaints, while the hotel is slightly spruced up it still seems old and crusty. Hallways are dark, my room was ok, nothing inoffensive but minor things here and there seemed rough and unkempt. The bathroom in particular was a little rough looking, though nothing awful.

As for the bed and sleeping I was struck by the two opposite things that happened. One, the bed was very comfortable, even better than the Hyatt's. I slept soundly through most of the night. The bad was the incredibly thin walls, in the room next to me I could hear a child babbling on. The child wasn't being ill behaved or loud, just being a normal child and yet I could hear every word in the early morning and it disrupted my sleep.

I had to leave the hotel early due to a family emergency and so had to check out by phone, once again I got incredibly great service.

The final thing I will say is that I noticed some of the normal rates on the hotel literature, they seemed to be double what I paid online via my rate. I will say that if I was paying some of the listed rates I would've been fairly mad and given a much lower rating. For what I got, I thought my rate was more than fair, for this rate I might've felt cheated and would certainly have given a lower score.

Overall, I'm a weird place with this hotel and whether to recommend it. If I could get it again at my rate I'd book in a hearbeat, if I had to pay the normal rate I'd run somewhere else. If I were the discerning travel, I would check their website for a deal. It's an ok business minded hotel, but for it's normal rate it is overpriced.

Room Tip: Lower rate online through their website.
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Reason88
Watertown, New York
Reviewed 21 August 2011

My family and I were headed to Hershey Park. I got a good deal for 3 nights at this hotel. So, I went with it. I called to confirm my stay a week earlier and was quoted the price I agreed on. When I checked in I was given the same amount. But when I checked out it was much higher. When I asked "why?", I was given the run around. Told by 3 different people, 3 different things. I stood there forever. Then when I left, I thought everything was taken care of. But 3 days later when I was checking my bank account, they still took the over priced rate! When I called to find out what was going on I was treated very rudely. No one was listening to anything I had to say. I just wanted an explanation. And I still dont know. The manager ended up hanging up on me as if he didnt want to help me and he could care less. Im still in the process of trying to get my money back.

And as far as the stay? That was horrible too. Every employee that I came in contact with was unfriendly. I had housekeeping knocking on my door 3x in one hr (after we said we didnt need it, and that happened every day), the floors were obviously not vacuumed, the hot tub water was green, I ordered room service and was told it couldnt be delivered (not to mention they over charged me in comparison with the menu. Then they forgot my drinks and I had to go back down to get them where a lady continued to yell at me because I brought my kids with me into the restaurant. I asked for more towels/supplies and it took them 2 hrs! (and only brought 2 towels for a family of 4). I couldnt even get any from the pool area the next day because they still didnt restock. The bathrooms were disgusting (there were other peoples hairs all over the place). And to top it all off, one of the beds in my room was broken. If any of us sat on the foot of the bed it would sink. When I tried to figure out why, I ended up cutting my foot on a piece of wood with a nail sticking out of it that was shoved underneath to apparently try to hold it up.

HORRIBLE, HORRIBLE STAY!! Seems they are only out to get every penny from you and could care less that you are a human being. STAY AWAY FROM THIS HOTEL!!!

3 Thank Marie S
Winchester, Virginia
Reviewed 10 August 2011

Pretty much covers it. We stayed there one night and will never stay there again. I wish now I had been smart enough to take photos to showcase. First, if they are still bragging about being completely renovated - they need to stop. Because it is false advertising. Every trash can we saw was filled and overflowing. The tables and trash cans around the pool were filled, dirty and disgusting. Our room clearly had not been vacuumed because there were several big pieces of something on the floor in front of our A/C. The A/C yelled all night too. We woke up the next morning to no towels at all in our room. The hallway carpet had holes in it. The front sidewalk was just gross. It was clear that someone had gotten sick in front of one of the doors the night before... In addition, I don't know who designed their bathroom sinks - but there is no space to put anything personal - like a makeup case or overnight bag. When someone thinks of the name Sheraton - I used to think of personal, higher-class service. Obviously my expectations of that name are now lowered to a much lower standard. Sad...

Room Tip: Don't stay at this Sheraton
3 Thank Felicia5561