“Good stay, not great”

Ranked #17 of 25 Hotels in York
Mechanicsburg
“Good stay, not great”
Reviewed 2 March 2014

Been here before. The weather is so cold lately. The check-in was smooth and the new carpet in the room hallways is a thumbs up. A definite upgrade needed since my last stay.
The person checking me out did not ask me how my stay was. Not a big deal but it is for some travelers.

Room Tip: Choose an odd number room. It's away from the highway side.
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank mightygiants71
Karen M, Starwood Hotels at Four Points by Sheraton York, responded to this review, 12 March 2014
Dear user1571,
Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback regarding your recent stay in York. We're happy to hear you had a smooth check-in and enjoyed some of the recent upgrades we've completed at the property. We look forward to welcoming you back in the future. Safe travels.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (33)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Newtown, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 7 February 2014

Clean and comfortable hotel with friendly staff. The indoor pool was a hit with the kids. We were able to sneak in a few drinks at the bar while the kids played thanks to a friendly environment. They were renovating the hallways when I was there, so it can only get better.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank JetSetTrav
Karen M, Starwood Hotels at Four Points by Sheraton York, responded to this review, 11 February 2014
Dear nissan S,
Thank you for sharing your feedback regarding your recent trip to York. We're happy to hear the family enjoyed their stay and the kids had a blast in our indoor pool. We look forward to welcoming you and your family again in the future.
Gurgaon
Reviewed 2 February 2014

We stayed here for two nights and chose this as we didn't want to stay either at DC or Philly..so chose a centre spot..and pleasantly surprised to see the Harley facility nearby. The hotel itself is pretty standard, we got a family suite for a group of 7 and the rooms were clean and well equipped. The only downer was that the folks were really picky about the breakfast coupons. Though we were 7 with 3 kids, the hotel only gave us 4 coupons which I think was a little cheap...I mean ..it's not a decision maker or breaker but it certainly is a disappointment as a customer...
Other than that the staff at the restaurant is very very friendly and took good care of us...all in all...a very standard affair...

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Prayag
Dear Prayag,
Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback regarding your recent stay in York. We're happy to hear your family enjoyed the suite and our central location. We look forward to welcoming you back the next time you're in town.
washington dc
Reviewed 19 January 2014 via mobile

As a Hilton, Hyatt or Marriott in a major city this would be a fail. But I don't expect too much from a four points or York in general, so its hard to disappoint.

The rooms are clean. The staff is hospitable. The rooms have mini-fridges, which is good since they stop serving food and libations early.

The internet is slow when it works. The weekend breakfast is so understaffed that they are perennially out of plates, forks, sausage and eggs. It wouldn't take much to have faster internet or to add a minimum wage person or two to keep breakfast buffet stocked and flowing. But there aren't many choices in York, so they may be counting on a captive audience.

Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
Karen M, Starwood Hotels at Four Points by Sheraton York, responded to this review, 21 January 2014
Dear Evieao,
Thank you so much for taking the time to share your thoughts regarding your recent visit to York. We're sorry to hear your breakfast experience did not meet your expectations. We have forwarded your suggestions to management as we are always looking to make improvements and ensure our guests are receiving great service. Thanks again for letting us know how we can make your stays more comfortable. We hope you will give us another try.
Sealy, Texas
Reviewed 17 January 2014

I am currently staying at this property--here for house hunting and relocation. Excellent run hotel--friendly, respectful, and completely supportive staff. I am 100% satisfied with my stay, pricing, amenities and the food was just excellent along with the prices, was a really excellent perk. The staff bends over backwards to accommodate the needs of its guests and go beyond the pail to assist in local navigating with maps and knowledge of the area. I would highly recommend Four Points staff, food, hospitality, pricing and overall excellence in making one's stay, comfortable and enjoyable. Ample parking--excellent grounds keeping--maintenance and maid services were just impeccable! Very comfortable beds, nicely decorated rooms, and Jacuzzi tub all worked just as one might expect. I am totally

Room Tip: My room was great--insulated so well that I heard none of my neighbors or staff at inappropriate tim...
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Michael M
Karen M, Starwood Hotels at Four Points by Sheraton York, responded to this review, 3 February 2014
Dear Michael M,
Thank you for choosing Four Points while you are house hunting. We're happy to hear you are impressed with the quality of our product and the level of service we've provided you during your stay. Thanks so much for the positive feedback.
Philadelphia, Pa.
Reviewed 9 November 2013

I stayed there for two nights in November. In town for a show and would try this property, for a change. Staff very friendly. I found the hallway rugs on the fifth floor to be in need replacing. My room was clean, but lacking receptacles. I only found one open that I could use, if I unplugged the coffee maker.Also the Shower Gel dispenser was not dispensing. Called front desk that evening and was told it would be taken care of; it was not. Had to ask again in the morning.
Breakfast was going along smoothly, until I found a hair on one of my breakfast sausages. Breakfast for me came to an abrupt halt; I ate an early lunch at the show. Oh, by the way if you book online and include breakfast, and one of the breakfasts fall on a Sunday, the Sunday breakfast is free. There was no mention made of it in the booking. I would have been a nice touch. Baring that,would I stay there again? No.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank pok-around
Karen M, Starwood Hotels at Four Points by Sheraton York, responded to this review, 17 November 2013
Dear pok-around,
Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback regarding your recent visit to York. We're sorry about the inconveniences you experienced while you were with us. We have forwarded your comments to the team and will be addressing with them. Thank you for sharing and we hope you will give us another chance to impress you.
Cincinnati, Ohio
Reviewed 18 October 2013

I stayed at this hotel for two nights for business in October. I chose it because of its proximity to my meeting location.

It sits on top of a big hill and there's plenty of parking, but it felt kind of creepy in a way. I first showed up in the evening (dark) and the driveway forks to the left and right as you come up the hill and there wasn't a sign to point which way was registration so I turned left, which turned out to be the back of the hotel. Very creepy. Not well lit and not a single car on that side of the building. The other side of the building (by the front desk) was somewhat better lit but you can't really park that close to the front door so you have to walk a bit. The parking is very long down the building. There's nothing there other than the building and the parking lot. No grounds really.

The front desk and lobby areas are very nice and clean and bright. There's a little sundry shop next to the front desk for drinks, sundries, snacks. The restaurant/bar was to the right of that. I did not eat any meals in the restaurant so I can't speak to that.

The staff was friendly, even the maintenance men I crossed paths with several times.

The business area (two computers and one printer) was near the front door. I only needed to print out one thing one morning and the printer wouldn't print. I asked the front desk girl and she tried but couldn't get it to work either. She offered to call someone else but I needed to get going for my meeting so I turned her offer down.

The hotel is very long, so the hallway to my room felt very long. It felt like an old hotel that had recently been remodeled. The doors had clearly been repainted recently, and the carpeting had some patches in it.

But my room was completely fine. My bathroom had been completely remodeled recently. Everything was bright white with no grime or grunge. Very nice!

There was a long desk, a flat screen TV, a decent-sized refrigerator...I wasn't really missing anything. The only thing I can say negative is that the outlets were clearly positioned in an earlier period of time before all our modern electronics. There was one way under the desk so that I had to get on my hands/knees to plug in my ipad charger. There was another on the wall next to the bed, but about 3-4 feet from the bed so not very convenient either.

The hotel was quiet, the bed was comfortable, everything was functional. It wasn't gross, it wasn't dingy, there was new wooden flooring in the entry in my room...it's clearly had some recent attention. But it did have the feeling of an older hotel. If you're looking for brand-spanking new with all the bells and whistles, this is probably not for you.

The hotel is convenient to I-83, Route 30 and George Street. It's less than 5 minutes to downtown York. There's a Starbucks and Qdoba right at the top of the street, and many other shopping and restaurant choices within 5 minutes along Route 30. It's about 45-60 minutes to Gettysburgh, and within that for Lancaster, Hershey, Harrisburg...pretty convenient!

I think for it not meeting all your business needs, $125/night is a little high. I probably wouldn't stay here for personal, I think there's better choices out there. I've never stayed in a Four Points by Sheraton before so I don't have any comparison but compared to Hyatt Place and Hilton Garden Inn it's lacking some of the nicer touches they have.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank JennyM777
Karen M, Starwood Hotels at Four Points by Sheraton York, responded to this review, 25 October 2013
Dear JennyM777,
Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts about your recent stay in York. We're glad your stay met your expectations and you enjoyed our convenient location to downtown York,, nearby destinations such as Lancaster, Harrisburg, Hershey, and Gettysbug, and our newly modeled guest rooms, Thanks for sharing and we look forward to hosting you again in the future should your travels bring you back to York!