“Great salad, so-so entrees”
Review of Villa Medusa - CLOSED

Cuisines: Mediterranean
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
pennsylvania
“Great salad, so-so entrees”
Reviewed 16 May 2012

While my parents and I enjoyed our meals, they weren't overly spectacular in anyway. I will say that the house salad you get with your entree is fantastic. Large, fresh and gorgeous with shaved parmesan and spicy little croutons. This is coming from someone who usually believes salad is what your entree eats. I saw a lot of reviewers raving about the rolls. I would rather have a crusty Italian-style roll rather than a squishy doughball, but they weren't awful.
My mother & I had chicken marsala and we were offered either sun-dried tomato mac&cheese or whipped potatoes on the side. We went with the mac & cheese. Bad choice. Reheated mac&cheese is never a pretty thing. It was a greasy, but yet, dried up, glob of macaroni with no discernable cheese, just oil. I adore mac&cheese and I couldn't eat it. They should give up on it and chose something else to serve as a side because unless they make it fresh every day, that mac&cheese is going to suffer. How about the chicken marsala? It was okay. My father fared better with the whipped potatoes he got with his chicken dish. The tiramisu wasn't bad.
Our servers were very pleasant and we had no problem with the service. The wine pour is excellent for $4.50. The prices aren't bad for a nicer Italian restaurant, but I think I'll continue to try other places.

• Visited May 2012
1 Thank clarebear05

“Service was so awful it was actually funny”
Reviewed 9 May 2012

My boyfriend are always looking for a good Italian place in the York area. So we were excited to hear about Villa Medusa. When we walked in it took a good 10 minutes to be greeted. The person who greeted us mumbled incoherently and led us to a table. Turns out he was our server, OMG he must have never waited a table in his life. I've been a server for almost 8 years so I was very sympathetic at first. We ordered our drinks, he didn't even know what wines were availble by the glass. Took 15 minutes in an almost empty place to get one wine and a water. When he took our order forgot to ask for salad dressing, something very basic. Keep in mind the mumbling I mentioned continued throughout, so communication was almost impossible. Another reviewer had mentioned the awesome bread so I was excited to try it, we never got any. Every other table did. He just forgot to bring out ours. Seems basic enough, but he didn't even notice. That's probably because he felt the need to tell us that "he doesn't usually serve and he's overwhelmed" no kidding!!! Hey maybe check my wine glass while your making excuses.

During our meal the table next to us got so frustrated with his incompetence they walked out, mid meal, just had enough and left. (The female half on that group had an issue with her salad and the server immediately sent out the chef. The other couple was clearly laughing at the ridiculously awful service too.) Our salads were great. Large and fresh. The entrees were ok. I was really hoping the food would make up for the joke service. The penned arriabiata was not even remotely spicy. It was sweet, like canned tomatoes. My penne carbonara was ok. We couldn't wait to leave, so it was almost a relief when the server came up and instead of asking us if we would like desert or coffee, be said, "So you ready to leave?". Yes, yes we are!!!

Overall this place is going to sink like a stone if the service stays the way it is. I'm a server, I am the easiest most understanding person to wait on. I can't even explain how bad it was. (Did I mention the other server wearing flip flops???) And the food didn't make up for it. What a Joke, stay away!!! I really wish I could try to give it another chance. But I don't think I could sit through the torture of that service again. I Woah I could tell the owner: Educate your staff, your new!!! Complete morons on the floor will make you fail no matter how good the food is.

3 Thank Roozer23
marietta, pa
“decent but not great”
Reviewed 2 April 2012

i really wanted to like this place. i'm searching for a GOOD italian restaurant in central PA and continually fail to find the one. calamari appetizer was good. tender and not overcooked. of the 4 entree's we tried only one was worthy of reordering. the spaghetti carbonara was the best i've ever had at a restaurant. i make a very authentic carbonara at home and this is the only one i've ever had that even approaches true carbonara. the veal parm was ok. i didn't like the meatballs and the red sauce was disappointing. while the seafood fra diavlo was a huge portion of pasta-the balance of seafood was pitiful. only 3 jumbo shrimp 3 mussels and 2 scallops. if it had some clams in the sauce or some other inexpensive filler like calamari it would have balanced w/the amount of pasta. i guess i'll keep looking.

• Visited April 2012
York, Pennsylvania
“Very Generous portions, spaghetti sauce excellent”
Reviewed 21 March 2012

3 in our party had spaghetti and meat balls. The menu indicates the meat balls are home made, they serve 4 meat balls and they were excellent. The sauce was very good. The portion of spaghetti was more than anyone in our party could eat, so they are generous with their portions. The rolls were warm and tasty, they served oil and pesto for dipping but also brought some butter when requested.
The salad was served with all spring mix and it too was a very generous portion. The prices were a tad more than some restaurants charge but the portions are much larger.
We would return.

• Visited March 2012
1 Thank bigbuster885
“Great spot for a great meal.”
Reviewed 8 March 2012

Had a great meal. Stopped by while driving down to York. Service was attentive and food was really good. Very pretty dining room.