Motel 6 York
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
View Hotel
All reviewsfree coffee in the morningwi fibudget hotelalarm clockround the clockice machinecomfortable roomother hotelsshampoodinermidnightdryerchainfurniturebaltimoreinterstateoutlets
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 24 March 2012

The hotel is in need of remodeling. Our room on the ground floor had mold growing on the ceiling. The room smelled musty. When I complained the staff said they would put deodorizer in the room. I said how about cleaning ? The air conditioner didn't work in our room either. We were told that the maintainence people didn't work on the weekends. It was Friday ? We asked for a new room only to be told they were booked. After a bunch of complaining on our part they offered us $20 back. We called the motel 6 1-800 number and they credited us for one nights stay. I spoke with others at the motel and they said their rooms were okay but need repair. Some carpets were shredded and stained. I won't be going back unless they do some serious remodeling. There also was no internet. We were told when we made reservations that wi-fi was available for a fee. When we checked in the girl at the front desk said they don't have internet ? Really?

Room Tip: Ground floor, and ask to see room before you check accept it.
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled on business
2  Thank houndhero
Reviewed 30 August 2011

we were told by clerk that it was a safe area and nothing ever happened ther .when we awoke the next morning we found our motor cycles vandalized and items stolen.when police came to investigate we were told this happened the wk prior to our stay and also before that.is it not the motels job to make sure there vistor are safe.

Stayed: August 2011, travelled with friends
3  Thank ken w
Reviewed 25 August 2011

I have stayed here a few times now and I am happy with it. It quiet, close to food, check in is plesant. Its certainly nothing special, just a room. No breakfast or anything. But over multiple stays the experience has always been consistent- and that means alot.

• Stayed: August 2011
2  Thank Life_Enthusiast
Reviewed 17 May 2010

I guess a few members of our group were the only ones to notice the sewage treatment plant just behind and to the left of the hotel. Behind the San Carlos Hop. We could not sit outside at night due to the smell, but keeping your door closed kept the smell out; however, we were satisified with the cost and the value for your money. The place is basic and shows its wear over the years, but the rooms were clean and staff friendly. A two night stay senior citizen rate cost us $96 total including taxes. This motel is also pet friendly, but we experienced no problems with bugs or odors. I would recommend this to others on a budget. I suspect the sewage treatment plant may be processing at night only. You only had the smell in the evening and overnight.

As a footnote, my wife and I had our son's wedding rehersal dinner at the San Carlos restaurant next door. What we found this time was a dining room that wasn't even open on a saturday evening at 7 p.m. The night club (or DJ) Hop side was open. Before we could order anything off the sandwich menu or drinks we have to either give them a credit card or pay cash! Service was horrible. Stay away.

• Stayed: May 2010
2  Thank Irwin_Guy
Reviewed 5 November 2009

I want to address the sewer smell up front: This place is located right next to the Codorus...a place known for it's awful sewer like smell mostly in the summer. Back in the 50s-70s a bunch of companies dumped chemicals into the river and the locals (and tourists!) are still suffering today. It's much better than it was in the early 90s, but you MAY notice a sewer like smell in the summer.

That being said, for the price of this place you can't really beat it. Not to mention that it used to be a Red Roof Inn. Red Roof tore down the old Motel 6 and built a new hotel and Motel 6 moved into Red Roof's old building. So the rooms are nicer than most Motel 6s. They're pretty big.

The bedding is cheap, standard Motel 6 bedding as are the pillows so if this is an issue, bring your own. I would not recommend staying here more than 3 days, you can scope better deals on Priceline for much better places but it is great for a one or two night venture.

The staff is hit and miss. Some of them are awesome, and some are just "meh".

Location is great, it's right next to 83 and on Route 30. Those are the 2 roads that will take you everywhere you need to be in York.

As far as things being boarded up and "scary"? There's an out of business Bob Evans that was boarded up so people wouldn't break in and throw parties and the area is a bit desolate (in terms of businesses) so if that scares you, stay away. Personally I prefer the boarded up Bob Evans to the atrocity that was there, but that's a whole nother review ;)

• Stayed: November 2008, travelled solo