“This budget motel delivers on its promise: clean room, no frills, good price.”
Review of Motel 6 York

Motel 6 York
Ranked #19 of 25 Hotels in York
New Jersey
“This budget motel delivers on its promise: clean room, no frills, good price.”
Reviewed 26 July 2009

Since all we needed was a clean, safe motel near Gettysburg, we decided to stay in York, just about a half hour away and much less expensive. We settled on Motel 6, located conveniently outside town at the junction of two main highways. When we arrived, the clerk offered to let me see two rooms and choose the one I preferred. Hint: door handles need to be lifted rather than lowered. Both rooms looked fine. They had a slightly pungent smell, perhaps from cleansers. The rooms were neatly furnished, with fresh paint, decent furniture, clean but thin linens and towels, and comfortable beds. The bathroom was clean and in excellent condition. The only amenities were 2 cakes of soap. You need to bring your own hair dryer and shampoo. The air conditioning worked well. The motel is set back from the highways, and my room on the third floor was quiet . The interior has been renovated recently, but they need to fix up the exterior stairs that have ratty outdoor carpet and rusty railings. (There is apparently also an interior elevator, although we did not use it.) The only real negative was the prank caller (not a guest) who called many rooms in the motel that night. Based on my overall experience, I would use this motel again with confidence.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled with family
1 Thank JerseyJean

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Syracuse, NY
Reviewed 17 June 2009

My family usually stays at a different hotel in this area. We have family in York and go every year to visit. This year however with the prices of everything going up we had to economize. We had already made reservations at a different hotel but when we arrived in the area seen Motel 6 for much cheaper and the other hotel we usually stay at, I don't like the staff. So, we popped into Motel 6 to see what it was like. I was actually amazed. As soon as we walked through the door, the front desk clerk greeted us, with a smile I might add. Don't see that at the other hotels. We asked to see a room first due to we have never stayed here before. They were very friendly about this and gave us a key to a double bed room. I was really surprised at how much room you have with the 2 beds. Some of the other places I have stayed at with 2 beds, don't give you much room to move. These rooms are pretty spacious with 2 beds and your not bumping arms against each other. The room was clean and neat. The furniture is a little older but they are the cheapest in the area and I'm not buying the furniture to take home, so I didn't mind. They do only offer coffee in the mornings unlike the other hotel we stay at that gives a continental breakfast. However, with the money we saved on the room, we went to a diner that is conveniently located right across the street. You don't even have to go out on the main, busy road to get to this diner. Very nice!! We had a much nicer breakfast here than the continental breakfast we get at the other hotel. And still saved some money. Upon check-out we were approached by the manager and asked how our stay was, AMAZING!! I've never had the manager ask me how my stay was. We explained to him how we normally stay somewhere else but now, this is where we will stay everytime!! It's hard to find a place that has great customer service and this place has it. It's hard to find a place that is cost effective and this place has it. It's hard to find a place where you will get your money's worth and this place has it. The only problem we had was we needed extra towels due to us having 4 people staying and we went down to the front desk and got them immediately. No waiting or anything. I would highly recommend this place for anyone, business, familys, etc.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled with family
1 Thank Antfe
New Have, Ct
Reviewed 13 June 2009

My first trip to York was this June. My friend and I are doing some work in that area and needed a place to stay. We already had a room booked at another motel but passing by had seen the rates for Motel 6 which were several dollars lower. We own our own construction business and the cost of travel is at our own expense so we though we could at least see a room before we checked into the other motel. Entering the office we were immediately greeted with a warm friendly greeting. Wow is this another era? We travel a lot and most persons have a hard time just smiling. We looked at one of their king size rooms and seen it had a desk which was perfect for a laptop. We noticed restaurants close by also. Actually you could walk to two of them. We asked about the price again just to confirm it. With the money we would save we figured since there is not a continental breakfast but only coffee we could just by a good meal. Who wants Danish for breakfast anyway? We canceled our reservation at the other motel and ended up here.

So if I had to write a quick review it would be worded.

This Motel 6 has a very friendly staff; the rooms are clean and affordable. It’s located right of I-83 and has 2 restaurants close by. They offer fax / copy service, have many stations on their televisions, and have a laundry on premises. I would highly recommend this motel to business travelers looking for a good place without wanting to spend a lot of money.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled on business
1 Thank Johnco1975
virginia
Reviewed 3 June 2009

We have stayed on this place twice already this year and several times last year. My wife & I always like the feeling of being welcome and how friendly the staff is. The price is affordable. I have notice that there are rooms that have a distinct smell though they are clean. I think the company need to change their air freshner, make it a little stronger because those rooms don't have windows and you can't really air it out unless you want to keep your door open.

I wish they can at least put some shampoo in the room, you don't really wanna wash your hair with soap, right? Come on Motel 6, can't you afford to give away shampoo?

Now that I'm putting a review on, I want to let you know, whoever is in-charge of Motel 6 York, pls. take action be fair to your employee. There's this lady (I think she's spanish) who went in our room, around check out time. It's just so happen that I saw it while I'm waiting in the car for my wife to turn our key. I did not comfront her, I did not want to embarass her. I saw her pocketed the tip we left for the housekeeper, I guess she got so excited seeing a $10 that she left the door wide open. So as soon as my wife got in the car I told her about it. I asked her if we should tell the front desk about it, she did not want to. All she said is, she probably need the money so bad that she took it or maybe that's her room, she's happy she got a tip. Well anyway, to make the story short, as we're ready to pull out, there's a housekeeper going to that room and it wasn't that lady who took the money. I just felt so bad for that girl cleaning our room. How can you sleep at night knowing you're being unfair with your co-workers! So people, I think when we want to give tips for the maids, let's just hand it to them because they deserve it but make sure it's their room. I felt this way because my Mom was a maid most of her life and she's always happy when she get extra money.

Over all, I recommend this place because the people are so nice. Always see a smile on their face even if you know they are tired. Keep up the good work!

• Stayed March 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank mywife4life
ThomPollack, General Manager at Motel 6 York, responded to this review, 17 June 2009
We appreciate your review and thank you for mentioning how friendly our staff is. We know that being on a road for many hours can be frustrating. We want our guests to feel welcome as they always are. We do the best we can to assist everyone in every possible way and make everyone’s stay enjoyable.

The reason we do not have shampoo in the room is because we try to keep our costs low with out sacrificing other necessities and to pass on the savings to everyone. We do offer this item in our vending area.

The housekeeper mentioned is a tenured employee and the housekeeping supervisor. She had become a little excited seeing a larger tip. Many persons do not leave tips and this was welcomed. This had been given to the housekeeper that had been scheduled to clean that room that day and she passes on her sincere thanks to you. You also mentioned the door had been left open which is not a normal procedure unless it is a vacant room and the housekeeper is in the immediate area which this had been the case.

We encourage any feedback from our guests as this gives a chance to grow and correct any issues. We appreciate your review and hope to see you again in the future.

Thomas Pollack

Mt Pocono, PA
Reviewed 18 March 2009

I have been going to this location for the last two years mostly for business trips. The staff are fairly friendly and always have been helpful. The rates are good, the best in the area. They have over 70 stations on their tv's. Not even most of the high price motels have this.

I have been looking over some of these reveiws people have written and some people you just can't seem to please. These are the people that want everything for nothing. Sure they do not have coffee machines in their rooms, or a fitness center, or little bottles of shampoo. They have clean rooms and a good price. With what I save in the price I go to one of the many restaurants down the street and have a real breakfast.

Someone mentioned blood stains on the sheets. I highly doubt this. It was probably someone that wanted to get a chip off their shoulder about something. Someone that probably drives their spouse crazy because they feel that bad about themselves.

I have stayed a higher price hotels and find the same quality that I find here. The only things missing again are the coffee machines and little shampoo bottles.

I am not siding with the motel but am tired of persons stating things that seem to be apparently not true. Don't let someone cost you money. If you take a trip to this area and are not sure about this motel ask to see one of their rooms before you pay for it. I am sure they will not have a problem with this.

• Stayed March 2009, travelled on business
2 Thank Happyman1204
Syracuse, NY
Reviewed 27 February 2009

This place is a complete pigpen! The rooms are dirty, sheets aren't clean (we actually found blood on the "clean sheets"). One bed had an ashtray dumped into it. Oh, and let's talk about the Police conducting a door to door search for HOURS-looking for a "Working girl" who called 911. Stay AWAY!!!! For the love of all that is holy!

• Stayed October 2008, travelled on business
3 Thank GotGhosts

Travellers are raving about these York hotels

Pittsburgh
Reviewed 15 October 2008

I will keep this short. the hotel is located right next door to a sewage plant and the smell was disgusting. It seeped into the room and was nausiating. I was supposed to stay 3 nights and after the first night, we left. When we went to get our refund, looked like we weren't the only ones. We had to go elsewhere and spend twice as much becasue everywhere was booked. When I notified Motel 6, they sent me a form letter to apologize and no other compensation. So much for Motel 6!!!!

• Liked — nothing
  • Disliked — the smell
  • Stayed October 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank FrequentTravelor8