“Business stay”

Ranked #15 of 25 Hotels in York
Alexandria
“Business stay”
Reviewed 27 January 2014

Hotel is very convenient to the Fairgrounds which was where I had business. Room was very clean and the bed very comfortable. Breakfast was what one would expect for a continental although there was a waffle maker. Staff was very friendly. One thing - there is no automatic door into the lobby so it was a bit difficult getting luggage in and out.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled on business

1 Thank Mary H
Meg S, General Manager at Best Western Westgate Inn, responded to this review, 28 January 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for submitting a trip advisor review regarding your recent stay at our property.

We are delighted that you enjoyed your stay here and the service of our staff members. We hope that you will come back again! We do apologize for the inconvenience of the lobby door not being automatic, however to add to your delight - management has been working with vendors for last 6 months to get this project started and completed !

If I can be of assistance in the future, please don't hesitate to contact me at 717-767-6931.

BEST WESTERN Westgate Inn

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
Stoughton, Massachusetts
Reviewed 26 January 2014

Lots of construction going on around the hotel and the hotel parking lot is not well lit. It's very dirty and dark by the front entrance. Looked like an industrial area. The walk in rate is reasonable. The rooms are older and dated. There is a fridge and microwave in the room. There were not enough outlets to charge phones etc. in the room. There is a laundry room with washer and dryer. Free continental breakfast in the morning was standard.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Krys G
Dear Guest,

Thank you for leaving us a Trip-Advisor review regarding your recent stay at our property.

The TGIF restaurant next door shut down a few weeks ago and the new steak house management and construction team has been working rigorously to get the new restaurant started asap! However, we do understand construction can get a bit obstructing for travelers at times and we do apologize for that.

If I can provide any assistance, please don't hesitate to contact me directly at 717-767-6931.

Mullica Hill, New Jersey
Reviewed 25 January 2014

I stayed at the hotel for my daughter's volleyball tournament in York, PA. Overall we are happy with our stay. The staff was friendly and service was prompt when I had a drainage issue in the shower. I'd recommend this hotel. The only reason I did not rate this hotel excellent is the fact there is the smell of smoke in the hallways, and the ice machine did not work at the first floor. Another issue was that the fitness water was not always available.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Best Western

We are delighted that you enjoyed your stay here and the service of our staff members. We hope that you will come back again! We do apologize for the few inconveniences through you stay. The issues have been addressed with the respective departments.

Sealy, Texas
Reviewed 22 January 2014

Upon our intentions to move to York, PA via job transfer, Best Western Westgate Inn, was convenient to Rt. 30. Price for weekly stay was very good, but the room was horrible. First, it was old and unkempt, with very nice bed, and tv, but had outlets falling out of walls, loose head board, and wasn't terribly spacious. Okay--no problem. Except the desk staff is often times impolite and not always eager to please. The exercise room was old and worn out with equipment in need of repairs. I was fine with all this until one night after house hunting all day, and researching for hours that night, I returned to my room about 3:00 a.m--went to brush teeth and no hot water. I also noticed the toilet leaking at the base. I called down to the front desk and asked to change rooms--was told earlier that the hotel was only 20% occupied, so I didn't think requesting to change rooms, was a big deal. The rude night desk worker, told me I could not change rooms, because he would have maintenance come in the morning--I just wanted to brush my teeth and go to bed, but since I was planning to stay another week, (was my last night) I didn't see why I could not just change rooms. His rudeness on the phone was inexplicably hostile when I offered to simply check out--he made NO attempt to please me whatsoever and as I was leaving the hotel at 3:30 a.m, he became rude, nasty and verbally abusive, claiming that I was somehow being uncooperative by staying in a room I was paying for, that had no hot water at the sink and a toilet leaking all over the bathroom. In all my life, as a traveler, I have NEVER been treated so rudely, nor with such contempt as a paying customer who by the way, did my own housekeeping to off-set the discounts I received as a weekly guest. I had to drive to Gettysburg because mysteriously all the other hotels locally were full--or was this hotel clerk making calls and defaming me? Never in my life, has a person in the services industry been so verbally abusive, that it almost came to blows, as I was not only innocent but completely respectful up until the clerk offered to "send me to jail" for having complained about his verbal assaults. He actually threatened to call the police, because I expressed my horror at his absolute rudeness and lack of customer service. I checked out at 3:30 a.m and by the time I arrived in Gettysburg, it was after 5:00 a.m. It was 20-degrees out and I almost fell asleep at the wheel twice. My fault? I simply asked to switch rooms. I called the manager the next day, who was equally ugly and made no attempts to revive my business by addressing my complaints--she was equally un-inspired to "make me happy" and made little effort to follow up with my complaints about her hotel. We found a house, and I ended up at Four Winds hotel for my final stay and was absolutely thrilled by their rooms, customer service, rates and in comparison, Best Western Westgate Inn, is the absolute WORST hotel I have ever had the displeasure to experience. I recommend COMPLETELY that anyone reading this, heed my warning--avoid, avoid, avoid.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
Dear Guest,

Thank you for Trip-Advisor review regarding your recent stay at our property.

We would like to clarify the situation from our end so that our management & staff is not being misrepresented. The front desk agent in question was talked about the entire situation as we take our guest complaints very seriously, as customers are the core driving force of our business. If a customer is requesting a room switch, we have no problems making that happen as long as there is a valid reason for the request. We were unable to get that from you and hence we could not complete your request. Just like you mentioned, the occupancy was at about 20-25% - which makes 70% of our rooms available for use, so there is absolutely no reason for us to have had a problem putting you in a different room.

To answer your second concern, our hotel and staff does not have the time or the resources to call around other hotels to discuss guest business. If you checked out from our property and went directly to other hotels in the town, our front desk agent would have no idea which hotels you would be going to and in which order; and there are several hotels in York.

And lastly, your concern about the manager "who was equally ugly and made no attempts to revive my business by addressing my complaints--she was equally un-inspired to "make me happy" and made little effort to follow up with my complaints about her hotel" - would have been me. I remember speaking to you the very next day on the phone for about 25 minutes about each and every issue in detail assuring you that necessary steps would be taken by management immediately. You seemed to be very pleased with my assistance and were very thankful. I refunded your last night stay as a courtesy. I even offered to do some legwork and help you look for neighboring properties in town and research weekly rates on your behalf, for which you were very appreciative. I remember all of the above, but at no point do I remember you expressing a concern about me being non-attemptive in my approach in order to assist you.

We understand and accept that guests concerns & complaints are a part of our industry and we do everything possible to ensure ultimate guest satisfaction. That is the end motive of our property and our brand as a whole. We do everything we can to make our customers happy, however there are protocols and regulations we have to follow when handling guest issues for the safety and security of the hotel and the guest.

Williamsport, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 14 January 2014

I stay at this hotel quite often because it is a clean and comfortable hotel. In addition, the staff - from front desk to housekeeping - are all pleasant and extremely helpful. If you want a home away from home, this is the place to go. It is also located near many restaurants, fast food restaurants, a shopping mall, and a movie theater.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled solo
2 Thank Katharine C
Meg S, General Manager at Best Western Westgate Inn, responded to this review, 16 January 2014

We are delighted that you enjoyed your stay here and the service of our staff members. It is our pleasure to make you feel at home away from home. We hope that you will come back soon!

Palm Bay Florida, United States
Reviewed 10 January 2014

The stay was pleasant. However, after driving 1000 miles, we checked in at 11:40 AM and were told by the clerk that we would be charged half a day for being so early. Check-in time was set at noon. I have never encoutered such an unwelcoming clerk. I beleive we came at a time when she just did not want to be bothered. We therefore left and came back at 8:00 PM on the same day to make sure that we would not be charged extra.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Best Western

Meg S, Manager at Best Western Westgate Inn, responded to this review, 13 January 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for Trip-Advisor review regarding your recent stay at our property.

We did address the situation with the front desk agent in question. It seems there was a misunderstanding. You called the property around 7:00 am to see if check-in was available, to which our employee referenced to the policy of the half day charge. If you were calling to seek a check-in for around 11 am, that is no problem at all. As a courtesy we accept early check-ins every day especially when you room is sitting ready and available. This is a common practice in winter seasons when hotels are not busy which gives us an opportunity to go a bit above & beyond to service our guests.

Bowie, Maryland
Reviewed 6 January 2014

As a retired Airline hostess, I have had many various experiences with hotels. I needed a room that could accomodate a wheelchair patient and a caregiver. All the hadicap rooms in the area boast a queen bed but they are all singles. We got a regular double room and it was plenty large. It was cleaan and bright. The beds were WONDERFULLY COMFORTABLE. Access to the lobby from outside was problematic as it involved a steep ramp, but the staff was more than helpful in their service to us. Not only did they get my sister in her wheelchair into the hotel without making her feel like it was an effort for them; they handled egress too. the fact that we were guests was handed off to each shift. They introduced themselves to us and let us know that they were standing at the ready to be of whatever servicee to us that they could be. I was anticipating problems but they made sure we had none and did it with grace and warmth. It was a marvelous hotel stay.
Superb

Room Tip: We were on the first floor and I can only say oour rooms were great. We didnot have breakfast in the...