“Fine but seen better days”

The Yorktowne Hotel
Ranked #18 of 26 Hotels in York
Reviewed 15 August 2014

This is a 'historic hotel' which has probably seen better days - certainly I don't think it's attracting the celebrity crowd it highlights in the lobby.

But that's not a reason not to stay here - if you have reason to be in York, PA, and would rather something a little different (i.e. not something that looks identical to thousands of hotels you could stay in anywhere in the USA or even the world) you might enjoy your visit.

Our room was large, the bed comfortable, the room relatively up to date. No real complaints - yes, parking was in the building next door, but is a 1 minute walk across the street really that bigger deal?

All in all, it's a good place to choose if you want to be in York. I wouldn't see it a destination hotel any more, though with some investment I could see that changing in the future.

Room Tip: I would explain your needs to the hotel team - they were friendly and helpful and some of our friend...
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Ben B

Reviewed 12 August 2014

The Yorktowne Hotel has had its fair share of visitors from the Temptations up to Boys to Men and many, many more. It is very historic. The hotel is comfortable and for one overnight or two it is average. It has sadly not been updated in a way that preserves the wonderful history of the hotel, but also adds the amenities that guests look for when they book a room at a hotel that is elegant yet historic. The room that I was in had no refrigerator, and a TV that was probably purchased in the 1990's. Everything is old. There is also no place in the hotel to get snacks, magazines, forgotten tooth brushes, post cards, etc.

Room Tip: I did not experience any noise at night. A family member of mine said it was very loud where they we...
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 24 July 2014

The Yorktowne Hotel is a historic hotel. So, with this in mind, expect the place to look well, old. It is a nice place, though. A few things could use an update, like the carpet in the main lobby, but the room was comfortable. The television in the room is a bit dated, but if you're only staying overnight it's fine.

Room Tip: We stayed on the 8th floor, which was quiet.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank TantmaRN
Reviewed 16 July 2014

My husband and I stayed in this hotel while we we in York for a baby shower a month and a half ago. The time that we spent at the hotel was nice and we were pleasantly surprised with the place. We were in a room on the 8th floor, which sounds to be the best location in the hotel. No real complaints about our stay. We paid our balance the morning of checkout and were on our way.

HOWEVER, three weeks after our stay, I noticed my credit card had been billed an extra $53. NOT when we checked out, but three weeks later. After speaking with three different people from the hotel, not a single person could figure out why my card had been charged. In fact, no one could even find records of my card being charged. Even left messages for someone in the "finance department" who apparently "has more access to these kinds of things" and never received a single phone call back. I ended up having to file a dispute with my bank and they refunded me the full amount.

This brings me to a month and a half later. Checked my credit card online tonight and saw yet ANOTHER random charge. $23 and change... why is my card being charged a month and a half after staying there???? Why can no one figure out what these charges are??? Extremely frustrating- wondering if I will have to change my credit card number to get these charges to stop???

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
4  Thank jp1287
Reviewed 13 July 2014

This historic hotel is Classic but old. There is a 10$ a day parking fee. Loved the list of famous people that have stayed in the hotel (they must have one beautiful room hidden somewhere). The lobby is beautiful..... roaring 20s for sure!! Would have loved to eat in the dining room but never saw it open. The décor is very antique which I thought gave it character. Although the rooms are very old and outdated...our room was clean. they could use an update......a few little things would make it feel updated without taking away the antique/historic feel.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 4 July 2014

My husband and I had visited this hotel twice before our recent visit .It was clean. The staff was cordial and the rooms were fine. We stayed in junior suites both times. On this visit ,we again ordered a junior suite .It was awful. The room was clean but badly in need of an update. The garage was closed so you had to park across the street .The person at the desk made no apology for this inconvenience. We went to the restaurant. One person was serving and acting as the bus boy. It is obvious that the hotel is having some problems .Until ,they are solved we will not be back.

Room Tip: Higher floors are better.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 30 June 2014

On my recent trip to Pennsylvania, I was really looking forward to staying at the Yorktowne and detoured my trip to York so I could visit. I arrived on. Sunday evening and the hotel was as vacant as a tomb. Just one young lady working the front desk...everything else was closed. The young lady at the front desk first advised me (incorrectly) that parking in the garage across the street cost $10 /day. Parking actually costs $33.50/day, but the hotel gives you blue parking voucher so you park for free. Only when I pulled up to the parking gate did I find this out, having to back my car up in the garage to go back to the hotel and get a voucher. The young lady next advised me of a restaurant that was supposedly open, but a 6-block walk in an empty rough part of town ensued only to fund the restaurant closed on Sundays. I never did find any place open to eat,not trusting the staff any more. My room was OK...it definitely had old hotel smell, but it was clean and comfortable. Oh, one more thing, this discarded heroin syringe in the stairwell of the parking garage was an interesting touch. I have never left a comment before, but I thought that the unfulfilled promise of this once great hotel was too much not to comment on.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo