“The Yorktowne Hotel...Where was the hospitality???”

The Yorktowne Hotel
Ranked #16 of 25 Hotels in York
A TripAdvisor Member
“The Yorktowne Hotel...Where was the hospitality???”
Reviewed 6 June 2006

I have never stayed at this hotel and I will never stay there again. I did not realize the hotel was in downtown York otherwise I may have made other arrangments prior to my trip. First, before I even got to the hotel I got lost and had to follow signs to get to the hotel and drive down a narrow road, almost alley like at night. When I finally pulled into the garage I was greated by a gentleman that informed me I had to valet park my car, that was okay, but unexpected.

When I walked up the stairs with my luggage into the hotel and got to the desk to check-in...they rudely told me that I did not have a reservation. They told me that I could have a room, but the rate was almost $50.00 more than my original reservation. I was told that if I had the confirmation number than they could give me that rate, but otherwise that was all they could offer me. So much for guest's being made to feel like they matter. After a ten minute search, I finally found my confirmation number...they then were able to "find" my reservation! I was so embarrased and the only thing they offered was a very insincire apology!

After that I checked in and found my room to be very small and smelled musty/moldy. I called back to the front desk and asked if they had another room because i have allergies. I was told they did not have any other nonsmoking rooms available. So I suffered through the night.

The next morning I needed fresh air to help my allergies so I walked outside of the hotel to take a walk and was harrased by a woman asking for money for the bus! This was directly outside of the hotel doors...needless to say this stopped my walk short!

The service was horrible, the room was nicley decorated, but smelled like a 100 year hotel. The "experience" on the street and the rude service really turned me off and I will be finding other accomidations on my next trip.

• Stayed May 2006, travelled on business
3 Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (62)
Toronto
Reviewed 17 February 2006

I stayed at the Yorktowne for four nights and was so pleased. I was visiting friends who were with a large group staying there also. The service at the hotel is really the best I've seen in a long, long time of frequent travelling. Every staff member I came into contact with during my stay was friendly, efficient, and did their absolute best to be helpful to all of us. The hotel itself is old but very nice. The rooms were clean and nicely appointed. The only real complaint I have, and it's a small one, is that the rooms are not soundproof in the least and I could hear every conversation of the individual who was in the adjoining room to mine. This could be because there was a door there to make the suites adjoining if needed but it truly was like we were in the same room as far as the noise goes. Other than that, it was a wonderful stay and the restaurant/cafe downstairs had delicious food and excellent service. Also, room service food was the best I've had in years!

• Stayed February 2006
5 Thank jacksonToronto
Hoboken, New Jersey
Reviewed 24 May 2005

The photos expedia tell the truth: it's a nice, clean (not a given among historical hotels) and classy historical hotels. The lobby is not something you would expect from a small regional town. The rooms are not as astonishing but good nevertheless. Parking could be a problem during weekdays, but should be very easy on weekends.

• Stayed May 2005
10 Thank Andre
New Cumberland
Reviewed 14 March 2005

My wife and I had a lovely weekend stay at the Yorktowne Hotel, located in downtown York, PA. We had a 2 room suite that was spacious and glorious. Olde style furniture with 1st class accomodations and staff. Great dining at the hotel. Quiet and clean. We will return there instead of the chain hotels/motels locally. We will reccomend this hotel to our friends and business associates. More people need to know about this gem in downtown York, PA.

16 Thank Wally R
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 7 February 2005

I was travelling with a group of ten people and after missing a flight from Chicago to Washington, found ourselves arriving at the Yorktowne at 2.30am. Not only did they need to check in 10 people but many of us wanted to have laundry done and they patiently waited for us to all deal with our bits and pieces. We attended a Wine Makers dinner one evening which was a great way to try Californian wines with the beautiful food. The chef was very interested to see 10 Australians and came to our table to ask how we enjoyed the food and wine.
A very pleasant stay and so much nicer than the large impersonal chain hotels

12 Thank brightonprincess
Reviewed 30 December 2004

Recently I planned a meeting at the hotel in November 2004. I wasn't sure what to expect since I had never been to the hotel prior. My experience was incredible. From the first contact with my sales rep., Wendy I knew that my business was important to them. I was actually called back on several occassions to review my meeting arrangements. My guests loved the hotel and everyone went out of their way to ensure my meeting was a success. I was even called back after my meeting to see if everything was up to my expectations. Would I bring my business back to the hotel, absolutely. Would I recommend the hotel and my sales rep. Wendy to other members in my office, absolutely. Thanks for making me look good and making my meeting so easy. First class hotel in a day and age when it seems customer service was melting away.

11 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 9 August 2004

My husband and I have stayed at the Yorktowne on several occasions and just love the Commonwealth Room as well as the Off Center Grill. Just a few weeks ago we sent my in-laws on a romantic overnight stay at the Yorktowne. The manager and staff were so accomodating and on top of every detail. The manager personally let me in the room before my inlaws checked in to put some wine, candles, and other things in the room to add to the romance. He made sure every detail was exactly how I wanted it before I left. When my inlaws arrived, they said it was like they were royalty. Everyone knew who they were already and that they were to be treated well. My mother-in-law said it was like they didn't even have to speak. Every need they had was anticipated and promptly carried through. They had dinner at the Commonwealth Room, and again, the service was excellent. The waiter even hand delivered their birthday gifts to them at their table and took a few pictures of them together for me. I had prearranged alot of small details and the staff was wonderful in making sure everything was taken care of. The hotel itself is breathtaking and the rooms are very nice, but it's the customer service at the Yorktowne that sets it apart from any other hotel. I highly recommend the Yorktowne, they are there for each guest, not for the money they receive in your staying there!!!

7 Thank A TripAdvisor Member