“Wonderful”

Coggeshall Farm Museum
Ranked #7 of 20 things to do in Bristol
Reviewed 13 July 2014 via mobile

This is s small but historically interesting working farm. There is a home from the 1700's that is original. There are many animals you can meet up close; chickens, turkeys, cats, a donkey, cows and sheep. The two women who worked there were wonderful, very knowledgeable, and interesting to talk to. My two boys 9 & 10 loved it. A gem of a place.

1  Thank beach_mom_leesburg

Reviewed 4 March 2014

I have visited several times for the Harvest Fair - great demos, nice music, fun for kids, etc.. Kids also enjoyed going to see the baby animals in the spring.

1  Thank shamrockri1
Reviewed 14 October 2013

We visited Coggeshall recently with our boys and nephew. Very good representation of colonial-era life on the farm. Chickens and turkeys roam the grounds. Can visit larger animals in the pasture. Nice way to spend an hour or so in the area.

1  Thank momika40
Reviewed 30 September 2013

I took my daughters, ages 8 and 3, to their Saturday morning, 9 a.m. "Wake up the Barnyard" event and was very impressed. We like Plimoth and Sturbridge and the Audubon's Drumlin Farm, so we are not new to farm visits or historic farms, but we learned new things here and, even better, got to DO more here. Coggeshall Farm is scaled so children can participate. Even with a good turnout for this event, everyone got to milk the cow for a while, with second turns available for the few who wanted one. Everyone got to brush the donkey and the horse, and there were 10 eggs in the haybarn, just about enough for each child to collect one. The staff were good enough to make sure children who hadn't gotten an egg yet could collect the eggs found later in the day. Johnny, who led the tour, had lots of jobs for children to do as we went around, and made sure everyone who wanted to participate got to, while he explained why and how children would have done these jobs in 1799. Another wonderful thing is that this farm makes sure its animals are visitor-friendly, with the sensible rules that you can pet any animal that lets you pet it, and you should stop when the animal wants you to stop. Everyone got to hold and play with the three week old kittens in training to be the next generation of farm cats. Children also got to pet a lamb and to feed chickens and turkeys. One historic breed rooster was raised as a pet so loves to be petted and is snuggly when held. My daughter didn't want to put him down to leave. There are hoops and sticks for rolling hoops and playing graces. We supplemented our slapjacks with drinks from their small shop where one can buy coffee, tea, water, and juice boxes. Bring cash in small bills, because change ran out, although I didn't mind giving them the extra $2.

The program ended around 11 but there was no rush and once in, you can stay for the regular day activities. When the tour stopped, children headed off to brush the horse or back to the house to sample the food and look at the things in the house. There's a loom and some clothing once worn by interpreters, which children can examine and try on (although they fit adults, so my children dressed me up). We ended up staying until 1, then going back for a little more time after lunch.

Perhaps it was because of the special event, but we had none of the issues other reviewers mentioned about not finding people around. There were four on duty while we were there. Johnny led the tour, with interesting patter for grownups and information for the children to learn from, too. Connie and Jessie helped everyone milk the cow and try slapjacks made from eggs the children got to collect in the hay barn. Everyone was helpful and fun to talk to, and very good with children, both my third grader and my preschooler--and appealing to that whole range isn't always easy! The interpreters in the kitchen managed to protect the children from the hearth (and vice versa) without making a big deal out of it, which I appreciated. I would love to take my older child back for one of the programs where children get to try hearth cooking. Both my children want to go again already.

1  Thank Harriet M
Reviewed 21 August 2013

It was1those days when I was Googling "things to do with the kids in rhode island". So, my husband & I took our 8 yr old twin girls to Coggshell Farm on that Sunday afternoon. I'm SO happy we found it! I love the fact that it's an average home(not mansion or palace) so you can see what it might have been like for a lower/middle class family to live in those times.
My kids loved the fact that they were allowed to touch almost everything as long as they abided by the house's simple rules. The girls were actually fascinated by the time period and enjoyed listening to the man who showed us around. He was dressed for the time period, very helpful, and full of interesting facts which he seemed more than happy to give us(even while he was actually working the farm!). We really got the sense of just how much work it would've been to live & work a farm back then. And we got to see and play with some toys that kids would've played with at the time.
We were excited to find out that they offer a "breakfast on the farm" event on some Saturdays where you can help feed the animals, & even possibly try to milk a cow! We're definitely going back for that!! Finally, I knew it was a success when my daughter stated "this is the coolest place ever!" And I knew then that, at least for the moment, it was...