“Convenient to Rhythm and Roots Festival”
Review of The Willows Resort

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Charlestown
The Willows Resort
Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Charlestown
Washington, DC
“Convenient to Rhythm and Roots Festival”
Reviewed 7 September 2011

Basic motel type accommodations near Ninigret Park. Prices are a bit inflated, but so are others in the area. Pleasant restaurant for breakfast, with a lake view. Extra sink and small refrigerator in room. Bring your own hair dryer and shampoo. They only supply soap.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank dctanguera

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
New York
Reviewed 22 August 2011

We just got back from our first trip to RI. Chose Willows for price and the grounds sounded nice and decided to chance the room (due to neg. reviews) We are a family of 4 with 2 young boys and I really wanted to take them to the ocean. The first impression of the office is a bit dreary and yes, dated. The front desk person very friendly and helpful. The "resort" is quite spread out and our room was in the furthest building. Yes, dated, BUT large and clean and a pretty view of meadow and a balcony. I actually did go back to office tho to see if there were any rooms avail. that were closer to the amenities, and she very nicely checked and even gave me key to go look to see if I would prefer this room...and then I smelled what folks in previous reviews talked about--this room had a very strong odor that i guess you would call musty and if that was the room I was given and my only choice, I would not have been happy at all. Needless to say, we happily kept our room (which FYI is described by overlooking the tennis courts I believe) The pool was very nice and clean and a nice temp. Did not try the restaurant or get out on the boats, but the motels location very near beaches. All in all it worked out great for us!

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank familyfunfran
New Haven, CT
Reviewed 3 August 2011

We chose this resort because of the excellent price. We came with other families, all different rooms. We stayed in a family efficiency unit & the others stayed in a regular double room. My efficiency was smaller than the regular rooms and more out dated than their rooms. I was completely misled with the discription of the unit. I thought there would be a stove, however it's a 2 burner cook top. The sponge was nasty as well as the dishdrain.... thank goodness I brought my own. The bedspreads were ripped & dirty. They immediately came off for the duration of our trip. The a/c was blasting & we had a small round table w/ 2 chairs to sit and eat. No living area & the tv is tiny and can only be seen from the king bed. The bathroom was so small that the sink was in the nearest room, weird! The pool was nice, however filthy. Hairballs found all over the bottom of the pool as well as plenty of dead bugs and such. After dark we were eaten alive. Bring bug spray, it's bad! All of the rooms rented had a terrible musty smell that became embedded in all of our belongings. The ice machine could not keep up with the demand of the resort; neither could the tiny coffee pot that was never attended to.

Room Tip: Great view from the family efficiency unit.
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
4 Thank lisa203
Brooklyn, New York
Reviewed 30 July 2011

We stayed here for one night on our trip between Cape Cod and NYC and had a good time. The staff could not have been sweeter. They were more helpful then we expected in taking care of our bicycles, giving directions, and helping us with equipment. There us access to a large inlet and the kayaking was wonderful. We would loved to have had the time to visit the nature preserve next door.

The room was only OK but the beds were comfortable and the air conditioner worked well. The restaurant on the premises was not open for lunch and may not have been open for dinner.

I would not go here for the hotel itself but the grounds are beautiful and the staff wonderful.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank CrustyOld
Southampton, Massachusetts
Reviewed 25 July 2011

After reading reviews here, I was worried about what to expect. I was pleasantly surprised at how clean the rooms were. The grounds are spectacular and the service was super friendly and helpful. There are a number of buildings on the 15 acres to stay in...anything to suit anyone's needs from 2 dbl beds to efficiencies to apartments. The heated pool is great, you can use paddle boats, canoes and kayaks on the pond, tennis courts, and a huge sprawling lawn for kids to play on or to have a picnic under a shady tree. Only breakfast is served in the restaurant but it's nice to be able to just walk over and have it. It is right on Rte 1 so it's easy to get to beaches, restaurants, etc. I really hope this place stays in business as it is a gem!

Room Tip: there are different buildings on the grounds (dockside, poolside, coveside, tennis villas) with diff...
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank cbara85
Oxford, Connecticut
Reviewed 19 May 2011

My family and I (mom, dad, sister, myself, 4 cousins, aunt and uncle) have been going there since I was little. The rooms have a musty smell but if you turn the air conditioner on the smell goes away. They're spacious rooms and if you stay in the tennis court rooms the balcony has a nice view of the tennis courts.

You have free access to the game room and pool, which is fairly nice. When you go there as often as us, you get used to everything. The boat in the lake, the guy that drives his truck across the lawn to his house, the guy who mows the lawn every day, the random ice machine outside, the coffee in the morning, its pretty weird, but it always comes up in conversation and we have great memories there.

There is excellent access to beaches such as East Beach and West Beach, Misquamicut is about 20-25 minutes away, Newport is about 40, and Watch Hill is about 20-25. There are also many good restaurants in the area seeing as the motel is on Route 1.

Overall, the Willows gets about 3 stars because it has its positives and negatives.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled with family
2 Thank meredithanne101
CT
Reviewed 22 September 2010

This place is in a wonderful location. Room was spacious and bed was comfortable. I stayed in the main building. Free use of boats and game room. Breakfast was good.
The hotel could use some updating but is better than most in the area. Very convenient to East Beach. Nice beach that is less crowded than others.
Had a good time here and plan on going back.
Room was clean. Staff was helpful and nice.
Could use some better bedding. Bedspread was very old looking.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled as a couple
2 Thank DrFunkinstein
Also consider these accommodations in or near Charlestown
Pleasant View Inn
Weekapaug Inn
#2 of 17 in Westerly
Hampton Inn South Kingstown - Newport Area
La Quinta Inn & Suites Stonington

Been to The Willows Resort? Share your experiences!