“It's all what you make it” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Willows Resort

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Charlestown
The Willows Resort
Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Charlestown
West Haven, CT
“It's all what you make it”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 September 2011

Spent two nights in late August with my husbands whole family-29 total ranging in age from 2 -76 years of age. When you drive up it does look dated and checking in can be a chore. But once you get past all of that it really wasn't so bad. I never really noticed a musty smell and if anyone else did they didn't mention it. We were in the furthest building but we had 9 rooms so it worked out well for what we needed. The kids loved all of the room to run around along with the lake for fishing or kayaking. The pool and the pool area were clean and spacious enough to accomodate all of us. But be sure to bring bug spray!! Very buggy day or night. It was a great place for all of us to just hang out, catch up and relax.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
      Location
      Rooms
1 Thank travel 05 mom

Solo
Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
Washington, DC
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 September 2011

Basic motel type accommodations near Ninigret Park. Prices are a bit inflated, but so are others in the area. Pleasant restaurant for breakfast, with a lake view. Extra sink and small refrigerator in room. Bring your own hair dryer and shampoo. They only supply soap.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank dctanguera
New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 August 2011

We just got back from our first trip to RI. Chose Willows for price and the grounds sounded nice and decided to chance the room (due to neg. reviews) We are a family of 4 with 2 young boys and I really wanted to take them to the ocean. The first impression of the office is a bit dreary and yes, dated. The front desk person very friendly and helpful. The "resort" is quite spread out and our room was in the furthest building. Yes, dated, BUT large and clean and a pretty view of meadow and a balcony. I actually did go back to office tho to see if there were any rooms avail. that were closer to the amenities, and she very nicely checked and even gave me key to go look to see if I would prefer this room...and then I smelled what folks in previous reviews talked about--this room had a very strong odor that i guess you would call musty and if that was the room I was given and my only choice, I would not have been happy at all. Needless to say, we happily kept our room (which FYI is described by overlooking the tennis courts I believe) The pool was very nice and clean and a nice temp. Did not try the restaurant or get out on the boats, but the motels location very near beaches. All in all it worked out great for us!

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank familyfunfran
New Haven, CT
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 August 2011

We chose this resort because of the excellent price. We came with other families, all different rooms. We stayed in a family efficiency unit & the others stayed in a regular double room. My efficiency was smaller than the regular rooms and more out dated than their rooms. I was completely misled with the discription of the unit. I thought there would be a stove, however it's a 2 burner cook top. The sponge was nasty as well as the dishdrain.... thank goodness I brought my own. The bedspreads were ripped & dirty. They immediately came off for the duration of our trip. The a/c was blasting & we had a small round table w/ 2 chairs to sit and eat. No living area & the tv is tiny and can only be seen from the king bed. The bathroom was so small that the sink was in the nearest room, weird! The pool was nice, however filthy. Hairballs found all over the bottom of the pool as well as plenty of dead bugs and such. After dark we were eaten alive. Bring bug spray, it's bad! All of the rooms rented had a terrible musty smell that became embedded in all of our belongings. The ice machine could not keep up with the demand of the resort; neither could the tiny coffee pot that was never attended to.

Room Tip: Great view from the family efficiency unit.
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank lisa203
Brooklyn, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 July 2011

We stayed here for one night on our trip between Cape Cod and NYC and had a good time. The staff could not have been sweeter. They were more helpful then we expected in taking care of our bicycles, giving directions, and helping us with equipment. There us access to a large inlet and the kayaking was wonderful. We would loved to have had the time to visit the nature preserve next door.

The room was only OK but the beds were comfortable and the air conditioner worked well. The restaurant on the premises was not open for lunch and may not have been open for dinner.

I would not go here for the hotel itself but the grounds are beautiful and the staff wonderful.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank CrustyOld
Southampton, Massachusetts
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 July 2011

After reading reviews here, I was worried about what to expect. I was pleasantly surprised at how clean the rooms were. The grounds are spectacular and the service was super friendly and helpful. There are a number of buildings on the 15 acres to stay in...anything to suit anyone's needs from 2 dbl beds to efficiencies to apartments. The heated pool is great, you can use paddle boats, canoes and kayaks on the pond, tennis courts, and a huge sprawling lawn for kids to play on or to have a picnic under a shady tree. Only breakfast is served in the restaurant but it's nice to be able to just walk over and have it. It is right on Rte 1 so it's easy to get to beaches, restaurants, etc. I really hope this place stays in business as it is a gem!

Room Tip: there are different buildings on the grounds (dockside, poolside, coveside, tennis villas) with diff...
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank cbara85
Oxford, Connecticut
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 May 2011

My family and I (mom, dad, sister, myself, 4 cousins, aunt and uncle) have been going there since I was little. The rooms have a musty smell but if you turn the air conditioner on the smell goes away. They're spacious rooms and if you stay in the tennis court rooms the balcony has a nice view of the tennis courts.

You have free access to the game room and pool, which is fairly nice. When you go there as often as us, you get used to everything. The boat in the lake, the guy that drives his truck across the lawn to his house, the guy who mows the lawn every day, the random ice machine outside, the coffee in the morning, its pretty weird, but it always comes up in conversation and we have great memories there.

There is excellent access to beaches such as East Beach and West Beach, Misquamicut is about 20-25 minutes away, Newport is about 40, and Watch Hill is about 20-25. There are also many good restaurants in the area seeing as the motel is on Route 1.

Overall, the Willows gets about 3 stars because it has its positives and negatives.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled with family
      Location
      Rooms
2 Thank meredithanne101
Also consider these accommodations in or near Charlestown
The Break
#3 of 4 in Charlestown
Misquamicut Beach Front Inn
Misquamicut Beach Front Inn
#3 of 6 in Misquamicut

Been to The Willows Resort? Share your experiences!