“Great food and drinks!”

Cuisines: Seafood, Steakhouse, Pub
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 13 June 2014

Warm and cozy atmosphere with a nice bar area. I love their scallops with fresh pea risotto and the C-Town Collins! I haven't had a meal there I don't like! They do have an outside area with a fire pit and outdoor bars, that I'm excited to try out. Really good, two thumbs up!

Reviewed 29 May 2014

My husband & I had a wonderful lunch last Sunday at the Charlestown Rathskeller. It has been totally remodeled from what I had remembered it to be years & years ago. The restaurant & the surroundings are just beautiful. The waitstaff was also very friendly & accommodating with answers to any questions we had. My husband ordered a Reuben & commented it was the best corned beef he had ever tasted. I ordered whole belly clams & was very happy with them. They were cooked perfectly, although not the best I had ever had! We will definitely recommend The Rathskeller to family & friends & return very soon.

1  Thank lovetocook2531
Reviewed 16 March 2014

As you drive in the parking lot is full. Do not be discouraged, there is a large bar to wait in and we had no problem getting chairs for the 4 of us. It was a Saturday night at 7pm and only a 45 minute wait. During warmer weather there is seating outside for waiting.
The bar staff was on the ball, right there when you needed them.
We sat in a cozy booth in the dining room, no TV's, what a relief...
My wife had a delicious salad, I had the filet Mignon and it was very good, Someone had the flat iron steak and someone else a burger. No complaints at all.
A great selection of beers on tap. The manager (Ryan) came around to make sure all was good.
A great night out!!!

Reviewed 13 March 2014

OK, this is a hard review to write because I was such a fan of the old place in the 80's. This is a nice place, the food was good, the service was good, the decor is nice and it's not the least bit stuffy.

That said... This is not the Charlestown Rathskeller I had so many fond memories from. Gone are the $2.50 burgers, now the burgers start at about $8, which for the burger you get is not so bad in today's market. The French Fries portions are still larger then any other place I have eaten at, and still good and home made!

Gone also is the huge amount of flounder in the Fish & Chips, but this too is understandable in today's market. The Fish & Chips are still very good, and the price was not bad for Flounder.

Gone also are those great dinner rolls they use to bring to your table before the meal... They were so good! My guess is the recipe went out with the owners who ran the place out of business in the 90's.

The decor is not what it use to be... The old rumor was the place was at one time a speak easy, and it had that kind of dive feel to it back in the day. Honestly, the old place had a touch from long ago that the new place, although much more nicely appointed inside, simply could never imitate. Some of the old murals are still on the walls, of course they have been restored and look great... But it's not the same.

The service was very good, but I have to say when my change came back from paying the bill the nickels, dimes and quarters were gone and just the paper money was in the folder. I almost said something to the waitress, but instead I decided to just take a dollar off of her tip! Consider it a word to the wise.

My family and I liked the place enough to go back for Fish & Chips or burgers again, but that would probably be the limit of it. Some of the menu items looked rather foo - foo for a middle of the road family place, but the times are what they are, I suppose.

I respect the hard work that has gone into this place to bring it back to life, and I guess the old saying is true; you can never go back to yesteryear... It's sad, really, but that's life.

3  Thank Timothy G
Reviewed 11 March 2014 via mobile

This is a great restaurant that is secluded and makes for a nice destination. They have specials daily that are always good and made with local in season, fresh ingredients...there is something on the menu for all diets!!!

1  Thank jjbek74