“Nice homey restaurant”

Phil's Hungry Haven
Ranked #4 of 21 Restaurants in Charlestown
Cuisines: American
Good for: Kids, Child-friendly
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Brunch, Breakfast, Parking Available, Seating, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Cheshire, Connecticut
“Nice homey restaurant”
Reviewed 3 March 2014

We stumbled onto this place and were glad of it....cute as the dickens. Crowded but the wait was quick and our food came out just as quickly. The scrambled eggs were light and tasty, the home fries also very tasty but ...the pancakes were difficult to cut with a knife and kind of dry. My husband had the prime rib and eggs which he absolutely loved, talked about it all the way home. Our waitress was friendly and efficient, prices reasonable and there was a great art gallery next door, we walked through after breakfast.

• Visited February 2014
2 Thank D K

Voluntown, Connecticut, United States
“Eggs Benedict Arnold”
Reviewed 17 October 2013

To start out, let me just make a general plea to breakfast joints in RI. If you offer ANY variation of eggs benedict on your menu, MAKE THE HOLLANDAISE SAUCE FROM SCRATCH. If you make your hollandaise from a mix, if it tastes like flour, gravy or chicken stock, you have FAILED at a very basic sauce. That your menu offers lobster benedict is a waste of lobster. It is also a waste of a decent English muffin.

This restaurant is cute. It's homey. We were seated immediately on a holiday weekend. The kitchen announced the birthday of an eight year old girl two tables away. The whole restaurant sang her happy birthday.

My husband loved his lobster and cream cheese omelet. I wanted to really like this restaurant.

But I can not, will not eat an eggs benedict offering at another RI restaurant without asking how the hell they make the hollandaise. This is two too many.

Hollandaise sauce is butter, egg yolk, and lemon. It should taste like each of these simple ingredients. When I order a $14 breakfast of eggs benedict with lobster, I expect those three simple ingredients to enhance the lobster. I do not want flour gravy on my dish. Taking a short cut on a dish where hollandaise is a main ingredient indicates that the kitchen is lazy.

Despite the charm of this place, I will not go back. Either learn to make a very simple sauce, or take the whole eggs benedict item list off the menu. You're wasting lobster. And English muffins.

I would give this a zero rating if I could.

• Visited October 2013
Torrington, Connecticut
“Big breakfast”
Reviewed 9 September 2013

fairly priced menu with big, quality portions. the wait for a table was more than worth it. best coffee in town, with generous refills.

Visited September 2013
1 Thank Pete Y
Wallingford, Connecticut
“Great Local Place For Breakfast,Lunch and Dinner”
Reviewed 22 August 2013

I have to respond to some of the negative reviews of this place .

I was there for the first time when we were trying to find a place to eat breakfast and we saw a sign for this restaurant off of route 1.

Boy were we happen to find this place out of nowhere.

The wait for a table was not very long and we finally sat down a party of three.

I had my favorite which is bacon, saugage and scrambled eggs with toast.

It was cooked just the way I wanted it .

The portions are very good .

The prices are just right not over prices at all.

Maybe some reviewers had a bad day before they came to this place or maybe they had a bad dream.

If the food was really that bad I would have given it 1 star.

The staff is very friendly and you feel right at home.

Many locals eat here and I can see why.

You can take it or leave it with my review.

My suggestion is this if you are up that way try the place for yourself.

Very down to earth country type restaurant.

• Visited March 2013
“I've never needed a knife to eat pancakes.”
Reviewed 12 August 2013 via mobile

This place was highly recommended and I have no idea why. The pancakes were so rubbery they could not be eaten without a knife to cut them. There was a fan near our table laden with grimy dust and a leaking air conditioner behind my daughter dripping steadily. My tea was cold by the time out food came and I was never asked if I wanted more.

• Visited August 2013