“First time back since new ownership”

Basta Italian Restaurant
Reserve with OpenTable
Basta Italian Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #9 of 289 Restaurants in Cranston
Price range: US$16 - US$40
Cuisines: Italian, Bar, Cafe
Good for: Romantic, Special Occasion Dining, Business meetings, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Description: When “Basta Restaurant and Gourmet Shop” opened its doors in 1989, the goal was ambitious: To create a combination of food, service and atmosphere that struck the perfect balance of what a complete, authentic Italian dining experience should be.Over these past 23 years, locals have become regulars and traveling foodies have raved. What can we say? We are flattered, grateful and more than ever, determined to exceed your expectations. For this reason, in 2012 we underwent a comprehensive renovation, updating and upgrading every facet of our restaurant, from design and equipment to menu and energy. We are so proud of the result and we know you are going to love it.We invite you to join us to experience Basta for yourself. Our locally sourced, internationally influenced menu, artisan Neapolitan pizzas and robust wine offering will combine to create an unforgettable experience for you and your friends or family.We look forward to serving you soon!
Reviewed 8 May 2013

We were a party of four and had an 8:00pm reservation on a Saturday night. We arrived a little early and they thanked us and said our table would be available shortly and requested we sit outside on the rear patio by the fireplace.It was very comfortable and we could have lingered there all night. I am sure it will be the place to be when the weather is nice. They seated us promptly at 8:00pm. I was happy to see they kept most of their old menu items. The true test would be to see how they compare. Well, I have to say they were just as good if not better. Two of us ordered the stuffed veal chops. Tender and delicious! Broccoli rabe with it was perfectly sauteeed with a little garlic. Even had leftovers for the next day. They added veal parmesan to the regular menu and the person in our party who got that raved about how perfectly the veal and pasta were cooked and the sauce was excellent. The fourth person in our party got the salmon with lobster sauce and he said there had to be a whole lobster worth of meat on the dish. I did try a bite and as much as I love their veal, I think that is what I will order next time. Absolutely yummy. So happy to have the restaurant open again and even happier to see the food is phenominal. One draw back if I have to come up with one...acoustically it does not have the old world charm, but the industrial modern noise creating decor. Still beautifully done..just a little on the loud side.

Reviewed 13 April 2013

Been there twice now and everything we've had has been great! The Vongole, which is a thin crust clam pizza is awesome, fettucine fra diavolo, salmon, and the desserts are so tasty and well cooked. Bartenders are fantastic and the rennovation is absolutely beautiful! Can't wait to dine al fresco when the weather is warmer. Great change from the Bast before.

Reviewed 9 April 2013

Our neighbors, who are long time friends along my wife and I visited Basta on Saturday 4-7-13 at 7:30PM. Since we have no reference point as to the former Basta (having never dined at the old Basta) this is my impression. The décor is very nice and it's obvious the owners have spent considerable time and money to make this venue attractive. It's too bad the noise level is so high as it distracts from the ambience. The service was quite good although the process of ordering and receiving drinks/food was too slow for such an upscale restaurant. But the food was the high point. It was excellent and my wife claims that the veal she had was "the best meal I've ever had" and that is saying quite a lot. Deserts were very good. Parking was ample behind the building.

So overall this was a very good dining experience.

Reviewed 31 March 2013

Just returned from Easter dinner at the newly remodeled and re-opened Basta in Pawtuxet. Great new decor - bright and welcoming, including an impressive tiled fireplace for firing pizzas - the aroma of wood-smoke greets you as you enter. Excellent service from pleasant, patient wait staff (particularly since my mother chose to be 40 minutes late for our reservation, as she apparently insisted on speaking with every member of the congregation at church before departing for the restaurant). Wonderful ambiance and our dinners were delicious and served promptly. I had wanted to revisit the Basta signature veal chop (stuffed with prosciutto served with shrimp and a lobster sauce). Not sure if i recalled it correctly, but didn't remember that it was somewhat fried in a batter. Though very good, not as wonderful as i remembered it - hope they return to the original recipe. Nevertheless my sister's rack of lamb and husband's swordfish were both very tasty. They have also developed an outdoor seating area in the back with cozy couches, fireplace and what looks like it will be a bar, which, i imagine, will become the place to be if spring ever actually arrives. I understand they have some signature pizzas and a late-night menu for lighter fare. Definitely worth a return trip...and hey...it's Pawtuxet Village, a great place for a stroll and a poke. Happy Easter!

Reviewed 24 March 2013

Was looking forward to eating here as it recently reopened. Lovely space, but so very loud I could not hear my dining companion. Menus were delivered promptly, as were the drinks, but we had to repeatedly ask for bread. The butter was so very hard it must have been frozen, not refrigerated. The veal was so very delicious (and huge portion) it made up for most of the deficiencies.

2  Thank dermgoddess