“Relaxing Stay”
Review of Edgewood Manor

Edgewood Manor
Ranked #1 of 3 Cranston B&B and Inns
Reviewed 30 December 2013

Lovely mansion, elegantly decorated, antiques everywhere yet nicely relaxed atmosphere. The husband and I were in RI to visit his parents and wanted to stay somewhere special for a change. We were very pleased with our choice of B&B. The location is excellent – nearby Roger Williams Park and neighborhoods made for a great walk the next morning after a delicious breakfast in the very fancy yet cozy wood paneled dining room. Ken was welcoming when we arrived and we had a nice time talking with owner Andy over breakfast discovering all of our mutual Rhode Island connections. The B&B was a perfect special treat and helped make visiting family way more relaxing. And the Wi-Fi was excellent.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Susan L

Reviewed 8 December 2013

I gave my daughter a Baby Shower Brunch on 11/24/13 at the Edgewood Manor Bed and Breakfast. The guests of honour, Melinda & Tim, and all the other guests where completely enchanted by the whole experience! The food, which was prepared by Joy, the owners mother, was absolutely phenomenal! Andrew, the owner, Joy, his mother, and Ken are super charming and nice. I highly recommend the Edgewood Manor Bed and Breakfast for any event! The Manor itself is absolutely gorgeous (I want to live there)!

Room Tip: All the rooms are gorgeous!
3  Thank diane_e_plante
Reviewed 24 November 2013

My mom threw my baby shower here today and everything was wonderful! The manor itself is so gorgeous and the service and food was incredible. Joy, the chef did an amazing job and was so nice. Her son Andrew who is the owner and Ken were absolutely fabulous and very nice. They went above and beyond our expectations and helped make it such a beautiful day!

Melinda and Tim

2  Thank Melinda G
Reviewed 22 November 2013

This restored manor has exquisite design and furnishings throughout, yet has the unique rarity to capture the hometown comfort, welcoming warmth of New England's traditional hospitality...down to the very finest of details.

Welcoming, accommodating owners and staff, inviting fireplaces aglow to compliment the brisk Autumn atmosphere, and fabulous attention to all necessary creature comforts, including an above-and-beyond culinary delectable breakfast each morning absolutely spoiled me during my stay, recapturing the warmth and charm of family life growing up in Rhode Island. When I heard the clock chime, it literally brought me back in time...accommodating my cousin at the inn complimented that all the more.

It is a beautiful preservation and tribute to all who cherished those grounds as I had with my sisters of St. Paul in elementary years of art projects and Easter egg hunts. It is with great hope that all who visit Edgewood Manor may come to love and appreciate its true trove of treasures, unique to this setting and most comfortable ambiance. In fact, feeling so much at home, I felt a heart tug & did not want to leave---a first for me in traveling over many years!

With Sincere Appreciation & Hopes for Shared Enjoyment,
MBM
Valrico, FL

Room Tip: Request a room with a fireplace to fend off that New England chill...Works like a charm!!!
4  Thank MBMAYO2013
Reviewed 25 October 2013

My family and I have been coming to Edgewood Manor for about five years every Thanksgiving to visit my Husband's Aunt. She was the one who recommended the place to us and so glad we took her advice. We have stayed in different suites over the years and each one has its own charm and elegance. The staff is very friendly and make u feel at home. I look forward to the breakfasts there as they are lovely. We walked into their beautiful dinning room and saw a couple we had befriended over breakfast the year before and caught up with them over our delicious breakfast made by Ms Joy. Its always nice to see Ms Joy and catch up with her. Every year as we leave I am a little sad , one being I won't wake up to those yummy breakfasts and two, I also won't see those cheerful people in the morning . Although if I have to be honest, I think I miss the breakfasts just a bit more. Sorry Ms Joy and Andy! Lol

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank Hendrickson49
Reviewed 23 October 2013

My stay at Edgewood Manor was delightful. Every suite was beautifully decorated with antique furnishings giving each a unique sense of neoclassical charm and character. It surprised me to discover that the neighbouring house adjacent to the Manor provided further accommodation suitable for families with children, In-Laws or extended family members. Breakfast was delicious and I enjoyed my conversations with all the lovely people who run this friendly establishment.

Louise M.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled solo
3  Thank Louise M
Reviewed 13 October 2013

I usually don't write negative reviews but because of our experience at Edgewood Manor, I feel compelled to write this. I think it is a fair and balanced review of our experience there; some others apparently had good experiences.

Pros: Wonderful banana bread, blueberry muffins, and Eggs Supreme was good, also. The host, Ken, is very knowledgeable about the house, and did his best to right the room debacle (set forth below).

Cons: We entered the house, and were greeted by the host, Ken. When I said we had a reservation, he fished through the desk and held up what looked like a crumpled envelope, and studied it for a moment. He found our name and I told him I had booked the room I wanted - ground floor because I have a disability - about eight months prior, and confirmed the reservation a couple months ago, specifically asking if the reservation was for the Edgewood Room. I was then told the room was reserved for us. So you can imagine our surprise, upon check in, when I told the host, Ken, that we were to get the Edgewood Room and he said it was occupied! He said he could give us either a second floor room, or third floor room. I don't do stairs well, hence the reservation for a ground floor room. He wanted to show us the third floor room and I barely made it up the stairs! The room was nice but I said I just couldn't do it. We then went to the second floor room. It was nice, with a fireplace, but it had a shower. Another reason I wanted the ground floor room was that it had a bathtub. Showers are difficult for me because I have balance issues. Ken then said we could switch rooms the next day, as the person in the Edgewood room would be checking out. True to Ken's word, the next day all of our suitcases were moved to the Edgewood Room. The room was not too nice. Also, there was a bike team that were staying there, and their room was upstairs from ours. There was running, throwing what sounded like suitcases on the floor, people talking loudly. It felt like there was a herd of elephants up there!

Also, I want to note that there was no soap in either room. Both rooms had no soap, shampoo, or conditioner. Containers were empty and never refilled during our stay. Fortunately, based on other reviews, we brought our own soap, shampoo, and conditioner.

After checking in, we went and had dinner and then stopped at the store to pick up some water and soda. When we got back, we parked at the rear of the hotel, as we were told. We didn't know if any of the back doors were open. So my husband checked one of the back doors, and it was locked. As he came down the stairs, he slipped on a broken stone step. The edge was sheared off at 45 degrees on the edge. He injured his knee. Since the lighting out back is negligible, we couldn't see our way around too well.

The straw that broke the camel's back was breakfast the next morning. We had a reservation for a tour in Newport so we had to leave the hotel by a specific time. Anyway, we placed our orders from a gentleman and he brought us each a fruit cup. We kept waiting for the meal to be served. I just thought maybe they took their time serving. Well, after 45 min. to an hour, and still no food, I walked into the kitchen. There were two women in there talking. I said "Excuse me, are our breakfasts ready to be served?" She had a puzzled look on her face, and replied "Breakfast?" Our order was never given to the chef. She said she would make it up fast and I left the kitchen. By this time, we were running short on time. We got our food very quickly after that. And, after hurriedly eating, we were able to make our tour in Newport.

As for the house, some things had not been restored, but been repaired or replaced, such as doors that don't shut properly, and locks. The workmanship is of a handy man level not that of a master craftsman.

So, that's what happened to us at Edgewood Manor. We ended up canceling the B&B we'd booked in New Hampshire. We stayed in a full service hotel. And everything there was fantastic!

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
17  Thank pamh869
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cranston
Omni Providence Hotel
Fox Point
Hilton Garden Inn Providence
Hilton Garden Inn Providence
#9 of 13 in Providence

Been to Edgewood Manor? Share your experiences!