“Go for the food and the beer selection, try to avoid the army of TVs”

Lucky's Bar and Grille
Cuisines: American
Dining options: After-hours
Dining options: After-hours
Portland, Maine
“Go for the food and the beer selection, try to avoid the army of TVs”
Reviewed 12 January 2012

The highlight of our visit was the food. I cannot say that my California-style wrap was the best I've ever had, but the others at our table had really tasty burgers and great french fries. One of us should have gotten pizza, which looked incredible. We were also pleased by the breadth of the beer selection. For those reasons alone we would go back to Lucky's. It's also nice to see something other than a chain restaurant in the East Providence/Seekonk area. I could tell that the manager or owner very sincerely cared that we enjoyed our meal. I appreciated that. We liked the dark wood interior too. It made for a very inviting setting.

That said, our waitress was horrendously bad and we found all of the TVs to be a terrible distraction. Our waitress got our orders wrong, forgot to correct them, and forgot to bring drinks. A busboy constantly trailing her saved us, as he was the one who made sure to correct her mistakes.

Worse than that were all the TVs. The TVs line the walls of the entire restaurant in a single band. I get that a few TVs over the bar might be desirable for watching sports, but to line the walls with them is overkill. I don't eat in front of the TV at home, so why would I want to eat in front of 20 (it felt like 20) TVs in a restaurant? Everyone at our table was constantly distracted by them and/or complaining that they felt a TV headache coming on. They really hampered our conversation. It's just hard not to look at so many flickering lights. From what I understand there was even a TV (or TVs) above the urinals in the men's bathroom. That's just pathetic. Is this a restaurant or a Best Buy?

I want to go back and have the pizza, but I'm going to have to figure out a way to shield my eyes.

• Visited December 2011