“Nice place but not worth the $300/night rate”

Wyndham Bay Voyage Inn
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Jamestown
GreenLeadersBronze level
Dostr4111
“Nice place but not worth the $300/night rate”
Reviewed 24 September 2008

We chose this site through an RCI exchange -it certainly doesn't compare to the gold crown resort membership we have in Mexico. The professional hospitality status of the hotel is lacking. The staff is very friendly but totally unprofessional. The staff is not professionally dressed and do not act react properly to meet the needs of its guests. They are not readily available to meet the guests inquiries. The front desk on many occasions were not present to answer guests inquiries. Small services like newspapers at the guest room doors was never followed on a daily basis. Newspapers were available on only ONE day out of seven days. The exercise room hours were scheduled from 9AM - 9PM. For those who exercise, ealier hours are always preferable e.g. 6AM would be a better opening time. The exercise room was not open at 9AM. and the guest needed to contact the front desk to open the room. The innl advertises the availability of hot tub that does not even exist. The general physical condition is lacking - rugs need cleaning particular the public areas. They are black and deeply discolored. Half the windows in our room did not operate at all. I would say that the Wyndham corporation sorely needs a quality control assessment. It has a long way to go before Bay Voyage Inn reaches a high quality Inn standard.

• Liked — kitchenette area, suite accomodation
  • Disliked — cleanliness, inadeqaucy of the staff, lack of amenities, eg newspaper
  • Stayed September 2008, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Dostr4111

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
Suffield, CT
Reviewed 1 August 2008

Suite 209 was nice, not sure if it really could have slept 4. The front desk staff were not very friendly. The hallways were in desperate need of makeup air. Not sure if this would meet building code or not. The room itself did not smell. The air conditioning units worked okay but made alot of noise. The bathroom sink leaked all night. The dinner at the restaurant was delicious, no complaints about that.

• Stayed July 2008, travelled as a couple
california
Reviewed 7 June 2008

My husband and I stayed here as a time share exchange. Overall the staff was absolutely wonderful - friendly, helpful and courteous (One employee, though not rude, seemed bored and disinterested, but everyone else was so incredibly super nice!) We stayed in suite 107 and our view was incredible! Newport is only a few minutes drive and we were glad to be out of the noise and crowds.

My husband and I usually stay in B&B's so the old world charm of the Bay Voyage was very appealing to us. Old hotels/B&B's usually have poor noise insulation but the sound-proofing at Bay Voyage was really good. I am a VERY light sleeper and I heard very little noise from other units. There was a loud party one evening but when we closed the windows I could barely hear it.

Our suite was small but adequate for the two of us. The mini-kitchen was very nice, as were the free coffee and muffins in the morning. The room decor was also nice but the furniture placement is awkward (the TV cabinet is offset from the sofa so that it can be opened into a hide-a-bed) so that only the person on the end of the sofa can view the TV comfortably. The comfort level of the furniture/bed was average - but we weren't in our room much so it was fine.

Bay Voyage is a time-share property. We were contacted once by a Wyndham Properties representative. She was not pushy at all, and in fact very friendly and helpful. She gave me some good suggestions for restaurants and attractions in the area.

We enjoyed the Sunday brunch at the restaurant. The food and service were both good. One word of caution. We ordered drinks with our brunch. We thought they were included as there was no price on the drink menu - only to find we were indeed charged - quite a bit in fact! They should list the drink prices - but we should have asked so I don't fault them.

Overall we thoroughly enjoyed our stay and would recommend Bay Voyage to anyone looking for a quaint hotel with old world charm in a fantastic location!

• Liked — friendly staff & location
  • Disliked — small rooms
  • Stayed May 2008, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Lance-and-Phoebe
New York City, New York
Reviewed 29 May 2008

This was a 2 day trip that i had traded part of a timeshare for. Wanted to stay outside of the Kaos of Newport without the traffic for a quiet time alone with my husband. We arrived from NYC, took 7 hours in traffic to find the hotel very charming and built in the 1800's deep rooted in history. The rooms were clean and had everything we could ever need and more for 2 days. Free paper daily, coffee, nice ammenites. Front desk was very helpful with info about the area and advice where to dine. Nicely appointed living room with newish furniture, TV, mini kitchen and tastefully done!. Smallish bedroom with comfy queen sized bed and TV. Very clean bathroom.
The View was to die for. Overlooking the Pell bridge! That alone is worth the stay. We had a one bedroom with a balcony overlooking the pook and bridge and all the windows and french doors opened to a beautiful ocean breeze that was fragrant like honey and cut flowers.
There were partys going on in the rooms adjacent to the lobby with loud music one night, but i tell you we could not hear it from our room. Even with the windows open.
Certainly we will be back again!

• Liked — The beautiful View
  • Disliked — artifical plants in the rooms.
  • Stayed May 2008, travelled as a couple
2 Thank campo84748
Reviewed 3 March 2008

My husband and I stayed at this place for two nights on a househunting trip to the area. Unfortunately this place gave us a bad taste in our mouth of Jamestown. The staff were awful, just boring and no energy. My husband booked a suite and when I called the next day to ask why our room hadn't been cleaned they said it was a time share. They NEVER said it was a TIME SHARE when we checked in and it is advertised as an Inn. Anyway, the room felt stuffy and the bed wasn't very comfortable. The door did not lock unless you played with it a little. Upon checkout(we went to the hilton in newport), they tried to charge us another higher rate! They also called us each day and asked if we would be interested in buying a unit!!! Unbelieveable. STAY AWAY!

• Liked — V iew of the bay
  • Disliked — That it was a timeshare and they didn't advise us before we booked.
  • Stayed February 2008, travelled as a couple
1 Thank dennyloo

Travellers are raving about these Jamestown hotels

Mystic, Connecticut
Reviewed 1 January 2008

Wyndahm Bay Voyage Inn is a nice, but old hotel. Place was clean, staff was friendly and helpful, including housekeeping staff. The view is great, and it's very convenient to the few restaurants in town (The Oyster Bar and Trattoria Simpatico are terriffic). The bedroom is small, but adequate and the living room is also adequate. The sleep sofa in the living room seemed fine. Issues were the heating unit, which was either way too hot or off, no matter how it was set, and the front door was warped so the door had to be slammed to lock it. One other issue is that our room was directly over the restaurant, which meant that the fish odors were kind of strong at night. I'd stay again, but I'd look for something newer in the area if it were available.

• Liked — Location, view, charm
  • Disliked — age of facility, heating unit, size
  • Stayed December 2007, travelled as a couple
3 Thank mysticmike
CT
Reviewed 7 December 2007

My mom has a timeshare here so my boyfriend & I went up for a weekend. I've seen this property from the outside and on the Internet and was quite excited. The staff were very friendly upon arrival and provided us with maps, brochures and newspapers from the area. Our suite was on the 3rd floor and although there was no deck, there were two sets of bay windows looking out at the Newport Bridge - very, very nice. The heating/cooling unit in the living room only shut off by unplugging it from the wall but other than that, the suite was in tip-top shape and one could tell that renovations had been recently made. On Sundays, the Inn offers (for about $30/person) a wonderful and delicious brunch - again, the views of the bridge are so nice.

The one complaint would be about the staff - because it was a timeshare, I checked in on a Friday and left on a Sunday. My mom was scheduled to check in on Monday and I had specifically asked the staff to change the bedsheets and tidy up the room although there was a $30 fee to do so. According to my mother - they never changed the sheets, made the bed or cleaned the room. I was very disappointed in that as clean sheets are a must! I need to check my statement to see if I was charged for that service. Also they were not as speedy checking my mom in as the staff working on that Monday were under the impression that I was still in the room, even though we made arrangements with the Sunday staff on my departure. Other than that - no complaints. I would stay here again.

• Liked — The location and the view
  • Disliked — The staff wasn't helpful when my mom checked in and the heating unit in our room wasn't up to par
  • Stayed December 2007, travelled as a couple
1 Thank ckarp73
Also consider these accommodations in or near Jamestown
Wyndham Newport Overlook
Gurney's Newport Resort & Marina
The Break
The Break
#1 of 8 in Narragansett

Been to Wyndham Bay Voyage Inn? Share your experiences!