“A room with a view!”

Wyndham Bay Voyage Inn
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Jamestown
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 11 July 2014

We loved staying at Wyndham Bay Voyage Inn. The front desk staff was SUPER friendly and loved to help us plan what to do in the area. The inn has quite a story behind its name. In the 1890's, the owner actually moved this "house" (later attached the rest of the rooms for the Inn) from one nearby town to where it currently resides. They loaded it onto a barge, took it across the river, and repositioned it in current Jamestown. Couldn't have chosen a better spot-- what an amazing view of the bay and beautiful bridge (lit at night) that takes you right into Newport. We were comfortable in our room and enjoyed the pool (overlooking the bay which was speckled with boats of all sizes.) If you get a chance while in town, enjoy shopping in Jamestown, but return to the Inn for dinner at Plantation at the Bay Restaurant. Delicious food and your bill will be discounted by 10% if you spend the night. Enjoy! We sure did!

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a view of the bay.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank karenronhoge
Courtney S, Front Office Manager at Wyndham Bay Voyage Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 15 July 2014

Thank you, Karen for the kind words. We will share these with our staff. We are glad to hear you enjoyed your stay. I am so glad you enjoyed our resort as well as the restaurant! Again, thank you for reaching out and we look forward to your next visit.

Courtney Stone
Bay Voyage Inn
401-423-2100 ext. 102
Courtney.Stone@wyn.com

There are newer reviews for Wyndham Bay Voyage Inn

Reviewed 19 June 2014

I made a reservation for two nights in June. I tried to call the hotel directly to make the reservation, but was told I needed to call a central reservation number. I made the reservation. A few weeks later, I called the central reservation number again to add another day to my reservation and was told the change had been made. When I arrived to the hotel, the front desk had no record of the extension to my reservation. The lady at the desk was incredibly unfriendly while I tried to check in. At one point, her attitude inspired me to say "I understand that this might not be your fault personally, but the way you are speaking to me makes me feel like you think this is somehow my fault." I was able to procure a room for the evening, and the front desk very grudgingly gave me the AAA rate after I pointed out that I was not a "Walk In" and should not be subject to the "Walk In" rate. My room that night was very sub-par, with a very unattractive furniture arrangement and a slightly dingy air. It was also on the noisy street, rather than the harbor view that I had booked. The hotel staff moved my baggage to my correct room during the day the next day. When I arrived to get my keys, neither key worked in the door, so I had to return to the front desk to have them remade. I then had to return again to the desk to give my credit card and license for the new room, since they hadn't bothered to transfer my information. The "Harbor View" is actually a parking lot view with the harbor and bridge in the background, and the hotel has a dingy and depressing atmosphere. The elevator is more than a year out of inspection, and the "gym" is a horrible basement room with a few dingy machines and weights and an overpowering smell of mold that would prevent anyone from actually working out. The housekeeping service is appalling. My bed wasn't made when the room was turned over, and there were hairs in the shower and bathroom. That bad service pales in comparison to the rude, unhelpful front desk staff, however. When we asked about the advertised great brunch at the hotel restaurant, the woman at the desk said abruptly "We don't serve brunch." When we mentioned that we had seen it in reviews, she rolled her eyes and said "Like I said, we don't serve brunch." Despite having several major problems during my stay, I never once heard the words "I'm sorry. Let me see if we can get this sorted out." from any hotel staff. They acted like every problem was my fault and that I was being rude and demanding by asking them to help fix problems. I asked several times when a manager might be available for me to talk to, I was told that the staff "didn't know" when they would be in. I never got the chance to speak to a manager, and no front desk staff ever offered to help me contact someone who would be able to talk to me. I will never stay at this hotel again and advise you not to stay there, either.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo
7  Thank Catie S
Courtney S, Front Office Manager at Wyndham Bay Voyage Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 21 June 2014

Dear Catie,

I am very sorry to hear about your experience at The Bay Voyage Inn. I would like to remedy the situation so that it does not happen again. If possible please email or call me as I would like to get a few more details. Again, I can't apologize enough for the negative experience you had during your stay. I look forward to hearing from you.

Courtney Stone
401-423-2100 ext. 102
Courtney.Stone@wyn.com

Reviewed 29 May 2014

and thats a good thing.... Although Newport is fun for what it is, the constant hustle and bustle can be tiring... Staying just over the bridge in Jamestown is wonderful. My wife and I have stayed there twice in the last year and both times were fabulous.
One time we had the top floor, corner room and the views were absolutely stunning. last time in, we overlooked the quaint neighborhood, not as great as the bay, boats and bridge, but not unpleasant by any stretch.
Staff was always helpful and couteous. Light breakfast foods were tasty. We did not sample any other food or bar while we stayed. Downtown Jamestown is a short 10 minute walk away, with plenty of fine food and shops. Newport is a quick 5 min drive or 15-20 minute bike ride over the bridge if the stores in Jamestown can't quell your shopping thirst.
The walls are a little thin and sound does carry but generally it's sound from the hall as opposed to from other rooms, unless of course you just have loud neighbors. We stayed just off season in mid May so there weren't tons of guests.
Totally enjoyed our stay and WILL most certainly return.

Room Tip: Of course, if you can get a room overlooking the bay, that is the way to go.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank David B
Courtney S, Front Office Manager at Wyndham Bay Voyage Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 2 June 2014

Thank you, for the kind words. We will share these with our staff. We are glad to hear you enjoyed your stay. Again, thank you for reaching out and we look forward to your next visit. In the future our Superior, Deluxe, and Executive rooms offer a view of the ocean. Please feel free to call ahead to request one of those room types and we will do our best to fulfill your request.

Courtney

Reviewed 7 December 2013

We stayed at The Bay Voyage Inn during a visit home for a wedding in MA. Since it was off season we were pleasantly surprised that many stores and restaurants were open. This was our first visit to Jamestown and found it charming! Bay Voyage is an old Victorian mansion that was moved from Middleton, R.I. to the current location in Jamestown in 1889. We were fortunate to have a one bedroom unit with a balcony. Beautiful view of the bay and the bridge to Newport. The room was nicely furnished and comfortable for two. The walls are thin, during the weekend we could here other guests above and beside us. During the week it was quiet so no problem. They have coffee and pastries every morning complimentary in the common room. We had guests one day and we visited and had lunch in the common room. We enjoyed deli sandwiches purchased at a deli nearby. We enjoyed the Plantation at the Bay restaurant, located in Bay Voyage so much that we went twice during our stay. We will probably return here. It is a nice place!

Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
4  Thank TugTerry
Reviewed 11 November 2013

My wife and I just returned from a one week stay at the Bay Voyage Inn in Jamestown, Rhode Island. This is a Wyndham resort in Jamestown on Conanicut Island and looks out at the Naragannset bay and Newport Rhode Island across the bay. The inn began as a Victorian home in Middleton, RI (just north of Newport) and the house was moved from Middleton across the bay to its current location in 1889. In 1890, the Inn was established when a large, three story wing was added that allowed for 32 additional guest rooms (for a total of 50) and a restaurant below. Since then, there have been several changes of ownership and some remodeling but the inn has always been successful. It is now a Wyndham resort with 32 timeshare units.

The units are not all the same. We were fortunate to get room 205 which is on the east (Bay) side and which has a quite nice deck from which you get a great view of the Pell Bridge, Jamestown harbor and Newport itself across the bay. An interesting aspect our deck and that of suite 203 next door is that there are skylights in the floor that allow you to look down into the restaurant below. All of the first and second floor suites on the south and east sides have decks or balconies while none of the suites on the third floor or on the west side do. We spoke with a few of the other guests and were told that some of the suites, especially those on the south end, were quite large.

Our suite had a great view, a nice living / dining room and a small but fully equipped bathroom. One rather unusual feature that my wife liked is the wall mounted illuminated make-up mirror on the wall to the right of the lavatory. There is plenty of room on the granite counter and shelves below for personal items. The bedroom was tiny with barely enough room to walk around the bed to the window side, however, the bed was very comfortable. The only light was one table lamp on the bed stand on the left side of the bed. It had a small dresser at the foot of the bed with a tube TV (which we never even turned on) and a typical package HVAC unit under the window.

The only closet is in the living room, to the left of the kitchenette. The kitchenette is small but quite well equipped. It has a place setting of dishes (huge bowls and coffee cups) and flatware for four as well as basic kitchen implements. There is a small refrigerator, a microwave, bar sink and coffee maker. Actually, the only surprising omission is that there were no sharp knives. It would be very nice if they at least provided a paring knife. They do provide paper towels, bags for recycling, dish washing liquid and other necessary items. They also provide a package of microwave popcorn.

We were impressed with how clean everything was and that everything was in very good repair. The bathroom was very clean with no grunge in any corners, no tile defects and very smooth and well functioning fixtures. As is typical of almost all places we found in the area, the toilet is a pressure tank type that is noisy but very efficient.

Jamestown is a small but charming port village. There are perhaps a dozen or fewer places to eat and one small (and rather expensive) grocery store. The restaurant in the inn seems to be very nice and popular, but we didn't eat there as it is rather expensive. To get to Newport you need to cross the Pell Suspension bridge and pay a $4.00 toll each way. Because of this, we planned our days so that we only had one crossing each way per day. There is another bridge on the west side that connects to the mainland and fortunately, this bridge does not have a toll.

As this review is already longer than I intended, I'll cut it short by saying that we really enjoyed our stay at the Bay Voyage Inn. All of the staff were very helpful and friendly. It does not have the amenities of a five star resort, but it is a very nice home base for one to explore Newport and the surrounding areas in Rhode Island, Massachusets, and western Connecticut. Our room was fine for my wife and me but despite the sofa bed in the living room, it would have been terribly crowded with even one more person.

Room Tip: Bay side rooms would be my preference and I really would not recommend these small suites for more t...
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Fingerpicker8
Reviewed 30 September 2013

Those who manned the front desk were very pleasant. Nice accommodations in this small town. The 1 bedroom is small but very comfy for 1 couple. The bed was very comfy and overall the place appeared clean. We did notice an odor in our living room when arriving, but discovered the smell was coming from our a/c. Since didn't need to use it much, it was not a problem. The laundry was free, which was a plus. Would return again.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Lo R
Reviewed 21 September 2013

A group of friends and family stayed here, and we all liked the comfortable atmosphere, helpful staff, beautiful views, pool, easy parking, proximity to restaurants and surrounding areas, including a lighthouse, the kitchenette, free laundry downstairs next to the bathrooms and fitness room- we had a great time! I would go back, and hope the restaurant will offer great food!
Although it's true that the rooms weren't large, they were sufficient and clean.....and nicely decorated.....

Room Tip: I would choose a room with a balcony.
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank MaryKay B
Also consider these accommodations in or near Jamestown
Wyndham Newport Overlook
Hotel Viking
#5 of 21 in Newport
Hampton Inn South Kingstown - Newport Area
Gurney's Newport Resort & Marina

Been to Wyndham Bay Voyage Inn? Share your experiences!