“Wonderful!”

Wyndham Newport Overlook
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Jamestown
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 15 April 2009

A very roomy townhouse with all the comforts of home. We loved the location and all the amenities! Our townhouse had a fireplace in the living room (which created great atmosphere for our lobster dinners when we used those Duralogs), the corner unit had a great view, a large patio with grill and table for outdoor dining, large bathrooms, 2 floors of space, ample kitchen and appliances, pool with bridge view, plus the water views of Narragansett Sound.

We ate at the townhouse a lot, using the full kitchen to cook. We didn't go out to dinner in Newport at all, so we might have missed some great places. But we found lobsters and clams at the state piers for so cheap (about $5 a piece or $1.70 a pound for clams) so why go out to eat??? We cooked seafood at the townhouse and had our choice of cold micro-brewed beer, it was a perfect gastronomic week on vacation!

An older resort directly on the Sound, but not tired. I highly recommend it! The living room is the most updated with lots of comfortable furniture. The king size bed was comfortable, the bathrooms were probably the oldest, but the master bath was very large and easy to use, a first floor guest room with 2 beds and bath, plus washer and dryer. It was all clean and we didn't notice anything that really needed to be repaired, I had no complaints at all. (No bugs in New England is a great plus!. That's a big thing I look for in notes from travelers, I don't want to bring anything home with me, so if you ever see any, write it in your reviews please.)

The Overlook was super convenient to get over to Newport via the Jamestown Bridge (You can buy tokens at 10 for $10 rather than paying $2 each trip). We had a great time exploring the area all around Newport, Jamestown and into the countryside of Rhode Island. Rhode Island is really lovely, relaxing and laid-back. There are great drives all aroudn the state. Exploring the New England homes or wineries are great ways to spend the day. One must is the Newport Storm Brewery. We went for their Friday night happy hour Tour and had a great time! You get four full pints of beer to sample, plus you get to keep the pint glass. We will definitely do that again. It was a delicious and fun experience. If you're into sailing or boating, Newport is an obvious choice for many activities around the sport.

I often think of this trip, the relaxing Overlook resort, the wonderful food of R.I. and hope to go back for sure!!!!

• Stayed: October 2008, travelled as a couple
2  Thank LifeIn

Reviewed 29 March 2009

just finishing a trip in the off season. Units are spacious (we had an end unit) had all the amenities of a timeshare condo. Beds were hard I have to admit, that was a bummer. The location was great in the quiet section of Jamestown and yet min from Newport over the bridge. The view was spectacular at night with the lights on the bridge. We had a bit of a small ant problem that they had stuff down for, but would have prefered it not, but stuff happens. Pillows yucky, bring your own. We hit so many places from Boston, Mystic Seaport, Newport, and Cape Cod all for day trips it was great. Liked the idea of not a lot of people being around. No big things to do at the resort, but this isn't that type of area in my opinion, its meant for you to go do things!! DID NOT HAVE WIFI, this needs to be changed in my opinion. Made it hard to plan the next adventures.

• Stayed: March 2009, travelled with family
4  Thank Familyof4ok
Reviewed 29 June 2008

My family and I spent a really enjoyable week at this resort that is located just across the bay from Newport. The unit was very clean, well appointed, large and spacious with two decks that overlooked the bay. It came fully stocked with dinnerware, pots, pans, etc. and a gas BBQ grill. The DVD player and stereo were a really nice touch as was the wine cabinet. BYOB!!! There is a nice pool and a hot tub in a common area. Very Clean. The staff was very friendly. The town of Jamestown is wonderful. The pace was slow and relaxed here, but within a 10 minute drive or less you can be in Newport to go site seeing, dining, shopping. I would consider this a really peaceful vacation overall. The resort is situated right by the Pell Bridge, but it really did not detract. My daughter would've liked more action right at the property, as she is nearly 14, but we were out and about most of the day shopping and site seeing. There are only 18 units here and they are well maintained. I would highly recommend this resort!

• Stayed: June 2008, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
2  Thank Zart1
Reviewed 8 October 2007

My wife didn't want to leave when it came to the last day of vacation. We have a time share with RCI and we have seen many places over the years but the view overlooking the Naragansat bay was the best we have ever seen. We had one of six units that overlooked the bay. It was only 30 feet or so to the water from our patio. The gentle crashing waves and background noise of traffic crossing the bridge to Newport lulled us to sleep each night. The constant cooling breeze from the bay enticed us to shut off the air conditioner and open the upstairs balcony doors as we slept at night. Best sleep I have had in a long time. Many a night we would colse the night on the downstairs patio watching cruise ships and tankers go up and down the bay. It's two miles across the bay and when the lights on the bridge and the adjacent newport shore came on at night it truly was post card material. You can see both Rose and Goat Island along with Fort Adams. The tour of the fort is a must see.
They give you flashlights and take you through a tunnel at the end of the tour and allow you to venture into an even smaller tunnel if you dared. We dared and we felt like chrilden once again. The cliff walk and Mansion tours were well worth the trip.
Were off to see other places but we will be back without a doubt.

Stayed: September 2007
6  Thank nickytoby
Reviewed 25 March 2007

I'm writing this review as nobody else has posted. I stayed in a two bedroom duplex four years ago, which I booked through an auction site. I was pleasantly surprised by the size and appointments of the unit. The pool looked ok for kids, as were the grounds. Narragansat bridge doesn't cause any noise disruptions, which concerned me somewhat. The bay is a short stroll, the village of Jamestown a short drive. Thumbs up.

• Stayed: May 2003, travelled solo
    • Check-in / front desk
6  Thank bogman
Also consider these accommodations in or near Jamestown
Wyndham Bay Voyage Inn
#4 of 21 in Newport
Wyndham Long Wharf Resort
Wyndham Long Wharf Resort
#13 of 21 in Newport

Been to Wyndham Newport Overlook? Share your experiences!