“Decent for New England” 3 of 5 bubbles

Good for: Child-friendly
Providence, Rhode Island
“Decent for New England”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 September 2013 via mobile

Chips are good and the salsa is flavorful but a bit thin. Cheese enchilada good but slightly sweet. Shredded beef in taco had good texture but odd vinegary flavor. Best things are the rice and beans.

• Visited September 2013
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank AncientMarineer

North Providence, Rhode Island, United States
“Excellent Mexican Food”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 August 2013 via mobile

We first went there last week for lunch w/ a Groupon... The place was very clean, the wait staff were soooo friendly. Love the brightly colored interior. The food was sooo delicious, that we went back for supper this week... Now my husbands favorite restaurant!
You must try the apple burrito!! Soooo yummy!!
Prices are reasonable, too. Can't wait to go back & try something else on the menu!!!

• Visited August 2013
Attleboro, Massachusetts
“Great tacos al pastor and fresh spicy salsa!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 May 2013

Wow! I'm impressed!!!
We were in the area getting my car fixed and wanted to have lunch. I went on Yelp and we picked Cancun because the reviews were pretty good.

However, I was not expecting anything- really. I have tried so many around the state and up to Attleboro, and been very underwhelmed (except for 1 place - La Lupita in providence but that is a fast food set up) by them all. Coming from South Florida where there are real Mexican restaurants (not Tex-Mex) I was happily surprised by the food.

They brought chips and salsa - the salsa was fresh and when I asked if they had any spicy, they actually brought a smoky chipotle salsa - not a bottle of hot sauce to add like so many other places. We mixed the 2 and it was great. They had a special on Tecate draft beer for $2.50 so that washed it down nicely.

The lunch menu is big, and they do have a lot of margaritas and specialty drinks. I also saw the full menu and they offer the same things most restaurants do, but also other things that most chains do not- like Tacos al Pastor (steak, pork or chicken)

So I ordered the steak Tacos al Pastor and my friend the chicken and avocado salad in a tortilla bowl.

Tacos al Pastor - small pieces of marinated steak set in 3 soft white corn tortillas, accompanied with chopped white onions and cilantro, shredded cabbage and served with rice, refried beans, shredded lettuce and a tomato. Also some red sauce I didn't touch. THEY WERE GREAT!!!!! Mexican street food! Great flavor - I added the mixed salsa as well and was very happy. At $9.25 they cost more than the $1.50 street tacos in Mexico, but what the heck- they were worth it and way cheaper then a flight to Mexico. The rice was better than most places and the beans were ok- a bit runny but the flavor was good.

My friends loved her chicken and avocado salad - big fresh slices of avocado, marinated grilled chicken breast and lettuce with cheese ( I can't remember if there was anything else) but she was very happy.

Service was attentive and fast and we lingered after still munching on the salsa and chips. I also asked the server how they got the corn tortillas to not fall apart when picked up and he told me how they heated them a bit and other ways they cooked them for different dishes. So it's ok to microwave the flour, but the corn needs just a hot pan to firm them up a bit - Thanks for the info!!!

I am very impressed and will definitely bring my BF back- we both love Mexican food and I am always looking. Now I have a place to go.

I am surprised by the reviews that said the food was just decent- to me just decent food is " On the Border, Azteca, Chipotle, Moe's, so many others and worse is Jalapenos. Lots of places that are just decent that I never go back again.

Fresh salsa, more authentic Mexican dishes that actually are prepared correctly is a real find. I definitely recommend Cancun.

• Visited May 2013
East Providence, Rhode Island
“Great Margarita!”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 May 2013

The house Margarita is great. Went there for Cinco de Mayo and really enjoyed the party atmosphere. It is very crowded and I think they needed more table and chairs outside under the tent. The food was good but it's hard to judge on such a hectic day.
The staff was pretty attentive, and that's important when it's the busiest day of the year.

• Visited May 2013
Smithfield, Rhode Island
“bad experiences here”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 March 2013

The first time we ate here was just a few months after they opened. The food wasn't good at all - no real flavor, came out room temperature rather than hot. And the glasses and silverware were dirty, then they had big vacuums going - so loud we couldn't have a conversation, and the servers were yelling to each other across the restaurant. But, we gave them the benefit of the doubt and figured they might still be working out the kinks since they were pretty new. After a long while, we tried it again, and it was worse the second time.

There were about 4 tables filled when we were there the second time. We ordered and it took about half an hour to get our food. My husband's order was wrong, and both our plates were lukewarm at best. It was obvious from the look of the refried beans that the plates had been sitting for a while. He sent his back since it wasn't what he ordered, and when the plate came back we could easily see that the main dish had been scraped off the plate and replaced with the new one and the same sides had been left on there.

Again, the food had no flavor - tasted a bit canned. After that time, we decided a third try wouldn't be necessary!

• Visited April 2012