“Clean but not thorough housekeeping”

Courtyard Newport Middletown
Ranked #6 of 18 Hotels in Middletown
Boston, Massachusetts
“Clean but not thorough housekeeping”
Reviewed 17 April 2012

Hotel was very clean. Ten minutes outside of Newport. Many chain restaurant with 2 minutes of hotel. When booking my room I asked for extra towels, upon arrival there were not enough (2 towels for 4 guests). My husband went to the front desk to get more. The woman at the desk said someone would be right down with some. Two hours later, still no towels. My husband called to inquire and soon towels were brought to room The next morning we left the hotel for the day came back and again not enough towels, toilet paper tube was left empty, coffeepot and cups were left dirty and no new toiletries were left. Clean hotel but annoying to have to track down basic things.
They also offer free WIFI but it was so slow it wasn't worth using.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank niklu

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (52)
  • Polish first
Reviewed 15 April 2012

Kids enjoyed the pool. Front desk was helpful and welcoming. Rooms were clean. Decor is contemporary and new. Only complaint is the typical dirty mugs near the coffee machine in the room - lip stick and nasty. It is details like this that make the difference between a clean hotel and one that appears clean. The complimentary coffee wasn't available when we wanted one however it was available in the morning.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank incogmoniker
Brooklyn, NY
Reviewed 27 March 2012

Having planned a wedding in Newport a few years ago, I thought I was familiar with all of the affordable options for lodging in the area (yeah, there aren't many!). But we just discovered this gem on another visit recently, and were so pleasantly surprised.

Visitors to Newport might overlook it, or be put off by the fact that it's not in Newport proper -- but don't be! It's a 10-20 minute drive from just about anything you'd want to see in the area, from Newport's harbor to the mansions. And many of the best places for families to eat in Newport (Anthony's Seafood, Blue Plate, Flo's in season) aren't in the walkable part of downtown, anyway, so you're centrally located to them as well.

The staff was friendly and helpful from the moment we walked in. The place has been renovated with care very recently, and it shows -- I couldn't find anything dingy or scuffed around the edges. The rooms were so clean that I felt perfectly comfortable allowing my baby to crawl around on the carpets and beds (which were very comfy!). The decor is minimal and soothing, and I appreciated their efforts to be "green" (separate recycling wastebin, mugs and glasses rather than plastic, etc.).

It was nice having a cafe that serves Starbucks in the lobby -- didn't try their food options at lunch/dinner, but it seemed like they had some decent stuff to choose from. My only quibble with the set-up would be that in some cases, the front desk staff had to be called over to make/sell drinks from the cafe and the self-serve vending area -- I felt sort of bad having the main host do this, and it seems like it would be better to have dedicated food servers/baristas. But that was during the off season, and not a big deal. Technology was sort of a bummer -- our phones (Sprint) were on roaming and had a terrible connection throughout the complex. They say they have free wireless, but it was so slow as to be useless; however, we did appreciate the PCs and printers provided in the lobby area.

We didn't get to try the pool or fitness area, but it looked nice. Looking forward to our next visit!

Room Tip: If you stay here, I recommend requesting a courtyard-facing room -- there are some that face out to...
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank CityMouseBklyn
Reviewed 27 March 2012

Clean rooms, night desk staff was not overly friendly and I witnessed a guest waiting to check in for quite some time as nobody was present at the desk. Housekeeping staff was excellent. Very friendly and went out of their way to assist with extra towels etc. Would stay here again if in the area. One complaint, the pool area flooring was awful stones causing stones to come up and end Oo in the hot tub and pool.

• Stayed March 2012
1 Thank ineedavacation88
Staten Island
Reviewed 20 February 2012

I stayed two nights and was very impressed with both the cleanliness of the hotel and the friendly staff. Good location only ten minutes drive to downtown Newport and beaches. I went in the winter festival celebration and it was nice relaxing in the pool and spa after being on my feet all day. I had dinner at the cafe and it was very nice and reasonable and I didn't have to leave the hotel. The hotel has been updated since my last visit and has lots of extras like the portals (see their website ) fireplace big screen TV's and several computers for patrons in the lobby. would definitely recommend it to friends.

Room Tip: all rooms appeared to be good!
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled with friends
2 Thank Beachmom4evr
Westfield, Massachusetts
Reviewed 3 February 2012

Went on a trip to Newport the day after Christmas. My Aunt and I stayed three nights. I hadn't stayed at a Courtyard since they did them over. I was very impressed with how the place looked. The rooms were very nice. The beds were comfortable. I would consider staying here again.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank ktobias
Manchester, New Hampshire
Reviewed 10 January 2012

This hotel is in a great location, only 10-15 minutes from the historic section of Newport, RI. Plenty of places to eat right around the hotel and a couple of grocery stores. As for the hotel itself, it's newly renovated and it's beautiful. Everything is clean and feels new. The style is great, appealing and contemporary. The fitness room is good, with 2 treadmills, a bike machine, and an elliptical. It has a huge wall of mirror, it's own temperature control, a water cooler, wipes, and a tv for the room. Our room was nicely updated, with a separate sink area open to the room and the toilet and bath in a separate room. My mom and I stayed in a 2 bed room and we enjoyed the flatscreen tv (with HBO) and ergonomic chair and desk. Good internet connectivity, but no wireless, which was somewhat unfortunate, as I was trying to connect with my iPhone. The pool area looked nice, but was full of kids most of the time.
The common area was very cool, with several different areas: reading area with periodicals, movie watching area with a large tv, lounge area with fireplace, large eating area high counter, booth (with small tv), and regular table seating. The food service area looked well stocked and clean, although I heard that some people ordered a plate of nachos and it cost something like $15, so you pay for the convenience. There is also a pantry area with candy and snacks and a microwave for the microwave meals and popcorn. I had leftovers I brought back from the day out and the staff was helpful with giving me a plate and silverware and showing me the microwave to reheat it.
This was the best place for us, the least expensive in the area, where we could go out sightseeing for the day and come back to feel comfortable and able to relax. If I ever went back to this area, I would stay here again, no question.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank Stephanie H
Also consider these accommodations in or near Middletown
Hampton Inn & Suites Newport/Middletown
Homewood Suites by Hilton Newport Middletown
Newport Harbor Hotel & Marina
Residence Inn Newport Middletown
Holiday Inn Express Middletown / Newport
Newport Marriott
Newport Marriott
#3 of 21 in Newport

Been to Courtyard Newport Middletown? Share your experiences!