“Great Clean Hotel”

Ranked #6 of 18 Hotels in Middletown
Boston, Massachusetts
“Great Clean Hotel”
Reviewed 5 October 2012

My family met for few nights for a little fun in Newport. The Hotel is just few miles away from Downtown. It is located just off what I like to call a "heartburn alley" AKA diners, fast food, restaurant chains along with many other hotels. The rooms and common areas were updated and modern. The hotel was overall very clean. My family asked the front desk several times for dining suggestions and the gentleman gave us fabulous local places. My family had already been there one night when I arrived the next morning at about 11AM. They actually let me check in. It was very nice that they were so accommodating! The Courtyards don’t have free breakfast but the Café was wonderful. I had a tasty egg white and spinach sandwich that was made to order.
A few things on the downside 1. There was outside construction, I believe it was the walkways. It was quite noisy during the day luckily we were only in and out quickly. Also, one night a bus was running/idling and it was quite annoying while trying to sleep. But those were just freak things. Overall a very good hotel. Clean, friendly staff, and convenient hotel to Downtown Newport!

• Stayed September 2012, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (51)
  • Polish first
Reviewed 30 September 2012

Beautifully updated this hotel has a very modern look. The rooms are spacious and they offer a lot of tv stations which the children were thrilled about. Unfortunately the staff there, well a few members of the staff, were not only completely rude but by far the most unprofessional members of the Marriott that I have ever encountered. The pool was freezing due to the outside pool connects to the indoor pool and it was raining and chilly out. We has a bunch of dirty leaves coming in. The pool area was well maintained besides the temp of both the pool and whirlpool and the leaves floating in from outside. I wish they offered a free breakfast like other marriotts due. The bistro is very nice and the woman working in that area was quite pleasant and friendly but ALL food and drinks are significantly overpriced.($10 for a burger) the houseman that brought something to our room stood at our door for a bit, for what both myself and my guest assume was a tip. I will never be returning to this hotel.

• Stayed September 2012
Guildford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 September 2012

We spent 2 nights here when touring with friends. On the edge of the town but much cheaper than staying in Newport. Good value and friendly staff. Breakfast not as good as some we had in other courtyards.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 24 September 2012 via mobile

I've stayed in newportmany times. It's fun to stay right in the city but during the summer it's so expensive. The marriott courtyard in Middletown is a nice way to visit Newport and spend less for more. The rooms and lobby are updated. Staff has always been helpful and friendly

• Stayed August 2012
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Reviewed 23 September 2012

I had to check out of a previously reserved hotel in the area due to dissatisfaction and was looking for a hotel. Not only was I happy with this hotel but I was disappointed I was only going to be staying for 1 night. Newly renovated, from the lobby to the room, this hotel was great. The staff was very friendly and it was no problem getting a room at the last minute. The bed was very comfortable and I liked the layout of the room. It was one of the best nights sleep I have ever had in a hotel! Everything was very clean. Loved the Starbucks/cafe in the lobby! Yes it is a short drive from Newport but as far as I am concerned, that was a plus. Newport is very busy and the traffic is crazy. Nice to visit but I wouldn't want to stay there.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled solo
New York City, New York
Reviewed 21 September 2012

This hotel is a bit on the outskirts of where tourists would usually go in Newport so the price is very reasonable. Upon walking into the Courtyard, I was surprised to see how brand new and modern the hotel is. Sleek, modern wood-looking furniture with bold colors and patterns. There's a little coffee/food kiosk in the lobby where you can buy breakfast or snacks throughout the day.

The rooms are quite roomy and just as well decorated as the lobby. The beds were comfortable and the linens and towels were clean. Also very nice was the pool; it was clean and big enough for a bit of splashing around (great if you have kids). Overall, great hotel for the price and location.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled with family
Fairfield, Connecticut
Reviewed 21 August 2012

We stayed at this hotel for 4 nights and we were disappointed. First the positives: It is 10 minutes from downtown Newport, same for the beaches, so the location is great. They have a new lobby/bar/eating area which is very nice---my kids loved the lobby. They have a nice indoor/outdoor pool with a hot tub which the kids loved. Now the negatives: The hallways were fillthy and in desperate need of a vacuum the entire stay. Most guests enter the hotel through side doors and there was a beer bottle and other trash outside the side door our entire stay. You could tell there was no staff responsible for trash cleanup on the premiter of the building and although the rooms were vacuumed, the cleaning staff evidently has no responsibliltiy to vaccum the hallways.

We were given a room on the third floor which smelled musty and we finally asked for another room after we noticed lots of small black flying bugs all over the room. When I told the front desk about it, they were not surprised at all. Our new room on the first floor was now near one of the side entrances and the door made a terribly loud noise each time it was clsoed (which is 1,000 times a day).
For the $300 a night we were paying, it is ridiculous that they can't pick up the garbage all over the parking lot, near the side entrances or vacuum the hallways.
I would try another hotel in Middletown/Newport before booking here again.

Room Tip: Stay away from the side entrances on the first floor, the door are extremely loud for some bizarre r...