“Nightmare in Middletown, R.I.”

Rodeway Inn & Suites Middletown
Ranked #6 of 9 Middletown B&B and Inns
Fremont, Ohio
“Nightmare in Middletown, R.I.”
Reviewed 26 October 2013

I give this no circle rating! We were on an extended trip with this being our second stop to help our Grandson celebrate his graduation from Officer's Candidate School. I paid $382.00 for 2 rooms for our family. We found a gold bracelet on the bathroom floor along with a lot of hair. There was hair in the wash cloth when I took a shower. The shower did not drain, and we had to stand in water up to our ankles. The refrigerator had food from the last people staying there. Obviously the room had not been cleaned. In the morning I told the hotel clerk the room was not acceptable, and had to be cleaned. When we got back from the graduation, the same bracelet was in the same spot as the day before, there was still hair on the floor, the waste baskets were emptied so someone was in the room. We stayed at 5 other choice hotels on our trip, and I have no complaint what so ever. My advise, DO NOT STAY HERE!!!

Room Tip: This is not a place for anyone to stay!!!
Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank Mildred F

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
Mount Kisco, New York
Reviewed 4 September 2013

Our intentions were not to stay the night in RI but 5pm came too soon too fast and driving back to NY no longer sounded like a great idea. We reserved a King size bed through the Visitor Center in Newport, RI. It was the only place within our budget but definitely not worth what we paid. For another $50 you could probably stay at a Hilton or Sheraton or Marriott and not have to deal with
1. dirty carpet
2. loud banging of doors
3. loud road/car noise
4. the room smelling of curry
5. light bulb out
6. receptionist looking like she hasn't slept in years
7. (Specifically our room) 2 creepy locked closets that might be used as storage...just creepy.
8. noisy AC

I think I'm done with this list but if i remember any other details I'll be sure to edit, but I think I'd rather forget this experience.

Room Tip: Rooms not facing the road are probably quieter.
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank tuky129
Glenside, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 13 August 2013

We stayed here for 4 nights. It was booked by an organization we were working with. The room had dead bugs on two walls. The floor lamp shade was barely attached. The furniture was beat up. There were cigarette holes in the blankets and stains on the pillows (blood). The one pillow was so disgusting when I looked under the the pillowcase that I was worried about lice. The freezer was caked with brown ice. The shower took 15 minutes to get hot and it didn't drain so we stood in our own filth. The room was never cleaned while we stayed there. The ring of dirt from the shower not draining was enough to make you want to throw up. I didn't want to complain for fear they would overcharge my credit card. As it was the rates were higher than quoted. 89 instead of 79 and on the weekend 178 a night. The phone did not work and it looked like alcoholics or drug addicts staying in a room below us. Service was horrible. Ran out of toilet paper and tissue. How does that happen. All they did was make the beds, put in towels and empty the trash. Never cleaned or vacuumed. The beds were horrible!! The electrical sockets on the bed lamp didn't work. Disgusting room!!!!!!!!!!

Room Tip: Pay more or sleep in your car!!!!!
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled on business
3 Thank D E
wappingers falls, ny
Reviewed 13 August 2013

Stayed here while visiting Newport last weekend for three reasons (1) It's one of the few places in the area that will allow a one-night stay on the weekend. (2) It's cheap (3) location to downtown Newport.

We were given the room right next to the door for the front desk. It was loud being that we were right on the street and could hear motorcycles and cars going by all night long. Very musty smell in the room and in the front desk area. A couple of burn holes in the bedding and curtains. However there were no bugs and the sheets looked clean. Shower didn't look too clean. Would we stay here again? Well if it was a last minute thing perhaps....but we will definitely plan ahead in the future and try to get in at the holiday inn or something.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Nicole P
Woodbury, NJ
Reviewed 6 August 2013

We needed a room to stay during the Newport Jazz Festival. Initially we had planned to stay with friends, but plans fell through and I had to look for a room. One of the only places with a vacancy was this Rodeway Inn and now I know why. At $152 a night (jacked up for fesitval weekend, I'm sure) I expected the room to at least be clean. The room was very small and jammed with old, beat up furniture. The two of us kept bumping into each other! No flat screen TV (as stated on the website), it was a huge monster of a TV on a huge cabinet that took up 1/4 of the room. The cabinet was so dusty I wrote "dust me" on top with my finger. It was angled in a corner and the space behind it hasn't seen a dust rag or vacuum in ages. I took pictures, but they didn't come out well enough to post. The sheets were not only thin enough that you could see through them, they didn't fit the bed! We were on the second floor, room 217, and apparently at the bottom of the steps leading up to our room is a smoker's gathering place - littered with cigarette butts and beer cans. We had 2 sets of towels when we checked in, We try to be "green" when possible, so we hung our towels on the rack to dry, intending to use them again. The next day, the cleaning staff removed the towels and never left clean ones -- I had to go down to the desk to get clean towels. We were booked for 3 nights and unfortunately there was just no other place to go, or I would have. Truly a shame, as it is in a great location for visiting Newport.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank DebbaJoy
Marlborough, Massachusetts
Reviewed 29 July 2013

Fifties style motel under slow renovation, so that there are nicely tiled surrounds to tired tubs, newly painted doors with splintery bottoms, and a used linen bin in the middle of the hallway. All of this would have been endurable since we only needed a place to sleep while attending the Folk Festival, however the low price drew a gang of drunken young adults who loudly rampaged until 3:30 AM. The folks running the place are extremely helpful and are trying hard to bring this place up to standard.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank Grandmas_go
Brooklyn, New York
Reviewed 8 July 2013

Very clean and private. I was hesitant to stay here a second time after seeing all of the negative reviews. The room was spotless and the air conditioner was great! Don't understand all of the negative reviews. It is a little out dated and after speaking with the owner he told me they are in the process of re-modeling and have changed the cleaning staff. All in all I would recommend the Rodeway Inn!

Room Tip: pets are allowed!
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank shannon k
Also consider these accommodations in or near Middletown
Travelodge Middletown Newport Area
Newport Ambassador Inn & Suites
Mainstay Hotel & Conference Center
Quality Inn & Suites Middletown - Newport
Homewood Suites by Hilton Newport Middletown
Hampton Inn & Suites Newport/Middletown

Been to Rodeway Inn & Suites Middletown? Share your experiences!