“OK, but not a great deal!”

Newport Beach Hotel and Suites
Ranked #7 of 18 Hotels in Middletown
Cranston, Rhode Island
“OK, but not a great deal!”
Reviewed 22 September 2013

My daughter and I stayed here the weekend after Labor Day for two nights (September 6th and 7th).

First off, this hotel is actually two separate buildings, the historic hotel and the newer suites hotel. We stayed in the Historic building which was in fact renovated and our room was great for the most part. While the address is Middletown, the sign for entering Middletown is across the street so if the thought that it is not in Newport bothers you, don't let it.

The Good: It was a good size room (two queen beds) on the top floor which overlooked the beach. It was a nice room with a large window and a fair amount of room. The bed's were really comfortable. It's in a great location within easy walking distance of other restaurants, the beach and cliff walk. Staff are very helpful and do take the time to answer any questions. I asked for hypo-allergenic pillows and they were there in no time at all. We did enjoy the breakfasts they served in their on site dining room.

The Not So Good: While the room was nice, the bathroom was very small, but they compensated with a lot of small drawers to put things in. However, one of the drawers had hair clippings in it from a previous guest, which really put us off. The AC was rather loud and as it turned on and off, it was bothersome the first. Also, parking was an issue. All the parking is either across the street around the newer suites building or if you arrive late you have to park across a main road in the beach parking lot. They didn't inform me of this when I registered. It was fine, but I was concerned when I first learned this. It's dark over there so not a great idea for the elderly. Also, there is no one available to help you with your bags after parking across the street. We were fine but again it might be difficult for elderly people. The lobby for both buildings is in the Historic Building, while the parking is next to the suites building.

Overall, we liked this place despite some minor points. I think the thing that bothered me was that it was a good place to stay in Middletown/Newport area, however, I have spent similar money in other hotels and I felt I had more for my money than in this place.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (240)
Peru, NY
Reviewed 16 September 2013

We just stayed in a King Suite for four nights as we were in town for a family wedding. The suite was wonderful with a kitchen that included a stove, toaster oven, microwave, fridge with freezer and dishwasher. We ate breakfast and some lunches in the room which was great. The room also included a stacked washer and dryer. I bought my own detergent and this worked out very well. The King bedroom was a good size and my son slept on the pull out bed in the living area. Two televisions, which is always good for my family during down time. The pool is lovely and there is a roof top hot tub. We also enjoyed sitting around the fire pit next to the roof top hot tub. The front desk gentleman (Stanley) was very personable, as was the lovely woman who worked for housekeeping. She went above and beyond to see that all our needs were met. I loved being so close to the ocean where we enjoyed morning strolls. And of course, a trip to the beach is not compete without a trip to a clam shack. Flo's is very close and has such wonderful food. Loved the scallops. We had a great time!

Room Tip: We stayed in the newer building, which I think I prefer. My Mom and Aunt had rooms in the historica...
Whaley Bridge, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 September 2013

Stayed for one night , room was excellent , very comfortable and clean . Staff were friendly and efficient , we arrived early and were fortunate to be able to access our room . The roof top fire pit was great and we spent a very sociable few hours up there with other guests .

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 8 September 2013

We visited this hotel during last week of August and it was a great trip. The hotel was lovely and our room was beautiful and newly renovated as was the hotel. There was a hot tub on the roof and it was very pleasant and we enjoyed it. The dining room served breakfast and dinner. We were very pleasantly surprised to find the food was excellent! The hotel is directly across the street from the beach but unfortunately the weather did no cooperate, it was very foggy and overcast during most of our stay. Bellevue Ave (where all the mansions are located) was very close by and we also took the scenic drive on the coast which was beautiful. Tours of the mansions are great fun as well. We just relaxed and went to the resturants in the area and had a very restful trip.

Room Tip: We had a room in the historic hotel building which we loved but to access the whirpool area we went...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 8 September 2013

Booked a suite in the "historic" aka run down section with a group of friends and what was promised was a far reality of the room that we received at $400 per night the room was dirty, small and staff were so young that good customer service was a pipe dream. Honestly feel ripped off...stay at any of the other hotels like comfor inn that is 20 feet from this over priced nightmare.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank Stacey S

Travellers are raving about these Middletown hotels

U.S.
Reviewed 7 September 2013

We had a great time at Newport Beach Hotel and Suites. We stayed in the new two bedroom two bath suites, and it was wonderful. From the time you enter your suite, you are wowed by the beautiful bathrooms and large king beds. The bathrooms and rooms were CLEAN!!!! I was soo impressed by the bathroom and its cleanliness. Overall I found my suite clean (the kitchen appliances could do some touchups with the grease marks) and very accommodating with free slippers and robes to be used during your stay. The staff was welcoming and prompt at checkin. My family and I enjoyed the walk to the beach. It is very refreshing and leaves a great impression of Newport RI. This place is definitely somewhere I would love to come back again and stay!!!!

Sint Anthonis, The Netherlands
Reviewed 6 September 2013

Booked this as a potluck special via Expedia. Were given what must have been the smallest and noisiest room in the hotel. You could not walk around the bed. People were using the ice dispenser and soft drinks vending machine late at night. The tv was tv direct and was disconnected when we arrived. Even once reconnecting it took a lot of fiddling to get both picture and sound. The wifi only seemed to work intermittently and then slowly. Decor, etc was fine.....but the overall experience was disappointing.....and not cheap, out of season.

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else!
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Middletown
Newport Harbor Hotel & Marina
The Chanler at Cliff Walk
Comfort Inn Middletown
Comfort Inn Middletown
#13 of 18 in Middletown

Been to Newport Beach Hotel and Suites? Share your experiences!