Newport Beach Hotel and Suites
Howard Johnson Middletown Newport Area(Middletown)(Great Value!)
US$137
US$130
US$123
Residence Inn Newport Middletown(Middletown)(Great Value!)
US$236
US$158
US$144
HIExpress.com
US$79
US$77
Sea Whale Motel(Middletown)(Great Value!)
US$112
US$202
Hampton.com
Courtyard Newport Middletown(Middletown)(Great Value!)
US$180
US$136
The Sea Breeze Inn(Middletown)(Great Value!)
US$220
All reviewshistoric buildingfire pitacross the streethot tubthe cliffrooftop deckoff seasonliving roomocean viewwasher dryerwe stayed in a two bedroomtoaster ovenflo's clam shackfull kitcheneaston's beachgreat roomindoor pool
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 24 June 2014 via mobile

Stayed there one night at a villa with 2 bedrooms and a sofabed at the livingroom. The bedrooms were incredibly small. The sofabed was so dirty, we found old used pacifier, the bed sheets and the blanket was full of dirty spots.

• Stayed: June 2014
4  Thank Ferlita
Reviewed 22 June 2014

I booked this hotel for my girlfriend's bachelorette party. Checked in Friday night - room wasn't available until after 5:30pm! The following day, the remaining guests arrived, but again room was not available by check in time and the rest of our party had to wait for over a half hour in the lobby after a two hour ride to get there.

When I made the reservation via telephone in May, I was told the specific rooms to get that would accommodate the cots we needed for the additional guests. The hotel rep insisted that if I reserved the larger, more expensive room, we would easily fit the cots. He also said not to bother calling ahead to reserve the cots because they have plenty. When our room was finally ready, I asked the front desk clerk to have housekeeping bring the cots to which she responded, "I don't think we have any left." I then explained how I was reassured cots would be available when I made the reservation, and that regardless we just needed a place for our friends to sleep if cots weren't available. She apologized and said they are full and have no rooms available. She then proceeded to get the general manager (GM).

The GM came out and stated that the rooms we have will not fit all the cots, and that we can only have one. He insisted its not because they don't have them available, but that it's a matter of them not fitting in the rooms..strange. He then decided to call the sales rep I made the reservation with and essentially asked him whether I was telling the truth about the cots..extremely unprofessional. Obviously, if I knew how much the charges were for the cots and we had 10 people to accommodate in two rooms, I had done my research from some where. Regardless, I reminded him that people should not have to sleep on the floor when we were told cots would be available and booked a larger (almost $400) room to accommodate them. He condescendingly kept suggesting that I let him research this more so we can move forward with some type of solution.. Obviously, it was now 5pm on a Saturday and we had no choice but to wait for him to propose some type of solution. Later, he came up to the room and offered us another room that would accommodate two people (interesting when I was just told an hour earlier that they were sold out) and he would only charge us $150! Finally, after complaining that we shouldn't have to pay anymore than what the cots would have cost, the GM decided to give us the room for free.

We went to look at the room and it was the size of a walk in closet with one queen bed and a tiny bathroom. The window was shut and shades down, but it looked there were some type of mold spots on the window which had some type of AC unit or something as the view. We decided to cut our losses and just take the room and move on.

Later that night, we returned to the free room and noticed a little red ant crawling on the bed. We walked over to the window and found tons of tiny red ants crawling all over the windows, baseboards,walks, etc. I immediately call the front desk, they send someone who looked at it, apologized, and said he will have to call the GM because there were no other rooms available and all of the cots were taken. Ten minutes later he comes back up to the room with insecticide spray and clean sheets, and states he is going to spray the room and put on clean sheets for now, and let us know when he hears back from the GM. We never heard back from him. The room had a foul odor of chemical insecticides (obviously it was sprayed with no ventilation) and they left the dead ants on the walls and carpet (we have pictures).

The next morning I ask to speak with the GM again, and of course, he acts like he had no idea what happened and denies that the hotel service man tried to contact him the prior night regarding the ant infestation. I explained to him that I felt like he was dishonest and deceitful to us as he knew we had no other options since they had already charged us. Also, the lies about the cots and hotel being full, etc, we're extremely disappointing. He got very angry and reiterated how wonderful and accommodating he thought he was.. And that there was nothing he could do. He did not care in the slightest way that he gave us an ant infested room which was sprayed down with insecticides and had dead ants all over the place. Disgusting and completely unprofessional. I would never recommend this hotel. They do not care about the guest experience. Once they have your credit card to charge, they know your options are limited. I thought this was a luxury, classy hotel given the price point and beautiful pictures online, but I was sadly mistaken. Do not stay here! There is a Comfort Inn right near here for much cheaper.. I wish we stayed there.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
5  Thank Momma483
Reviewed 19 June 2014

Great room, great view on the 4th floor over looking the ocean and the beach in the historic building. Just walk across the street to the beach. Had to goto the other building for the hot tub on the roof but it was a 5 minute walk and the sunset was beautiful. I felt like we had the best of all worlds, views and a 10 minute drive to the heart of Newport. Very worth it and I will definitely come back. One thing they have to work on is the wifi... kept cutting out, but besides that.. just a great vacation.

Room Tip: top floor facing the ocean. Perfect.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank lyoung1956
Reviewed 18 June 2014 via mobile

We came here on the the recommendation of a close friend.

What a mistake. The manager on duty, evidently an young HR person, was ignorant, rude, and uncaring. My only concern was that the room was not cleaned properly...

As a person who travels for a living, this is completely inconsistent with my expectations. This is the first and last time I take my family to this hotel.

Stayed: June 2014
3  Thank HoldenBea
Reviewed 17 June 2014

I have mixed feelings writing this review as I had a great time while I as in Newport for a friend's wedding, but, the hotel we spent two nights in just wasn't worth it. It's 2 miles from Thames Street and downtown, if you're spending that kind of money I would choose a hotel in that area as opposed to this one. It is right across the street from First Beach and ABC which is perfect if all you're looking for is a beach weekend. That being said, the staff didn't seem to have it all together. They called the incorrect phone number to inform us our room was ready - not entirely sure how you call the bride of the weekend instead of the registered guests but, oh well we got the message an hour later from the bride that we could go to our room. Housekeeping doesn't seem to have the most strategic approach to room order when cleaning, and took about an hour and a half to get us back into our room on Sunday afternoon - I should've just passed on it all together since I know we didn't get clean sheets. The hotel bar/restaurant doesn't serve lunch - breakfast and 5:00 pm re-opening for dinner only. They advertise an ocean view and yes you can see the ocean but you can also hear every single car drive by in the morning since the road you are on is very busy. The cherry on top was hearing the front desk staff talk poorly about other hotel guests after a phone call - I overheard as I was sitting on the couches in the lobby waiting for my friends. My suggestion is save your money and stay some where a little cheaper, or stay downtown if you're looking for a hotel that will delivery impeccable service for the rate you are paying.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple