“Okay hotel”

Holiday Inn Express Middletown / Newport
Ranked #8 of 18 Hotels in Middletown
“Okay hotel”
Reviewed 8 September 2013 via mobile

So i stayed here for a wedding. Room was decent, no fan in the bathroom but the tv was nice and had a dvd player. Breakfast was okay. Eggs were terrible but the fresh pancakes were good. They tried to keep things refilled as best they could. The pool was small, shallow but decent, hot tub was adequate. The fitness center was small but wasn't busy at all so it was fine. The ac in our room made a horrible vibration noise all day and night, whenever it was on. We asked maintenance to take a look at it, haven't showed up yet but it was only a few minutes ago. The location is kinda eh. It's not walking distance to Newport, you'd have to drive. It's on a busy business area. There is a chili's basically in the parking lot which is walking distance. Overall there's not much to do by the hotel. There is an outdoor patio by the pool which is nice. Coffee and tea all day and free breakfast. Overall it's your standard budget hotel. No frills but okay enough. It probably could use some maintenance but overall it's okay...

• Stayed September 2013
2 Thank Jen441985
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Middletown / Newport, responded to this review, 25 September 2013
Dear Jen441985,

Thank you for staying with us and providing us with your valuable feedback. Your satisfaction is important to us and we try hard to make sure all of our guests have a rewarding experience at our hotel. My apologies for any disappointment you may have had. We have taken note and wish to thank you for all your valuable comments. These are of great importance to us and allow us to monitor and improve our service continually.

Karen C
IHGCare

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (71)
  • Korean first
Reviewed 5 September 2013

I stay in a lot of hotels, I like Holiday Inn Express because they are everywhere, mostly clean new properties. I was disappointed with the Middletown Holiday Inn Express as it was not as clean as most of the chain and seemed a little wornout. The bed was not as comfortable as most for some reason. If I were to return to the area again I might choose the Holiday Inn Express in Warwick. It is about a half hour away, but a much nicer property

1 Thank Bdolgin
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Middletown / Newport, responded to this review, 21 September 2013
Dear Bdolgin,

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave us your feedback. Your comments are highly valuable to us and will assist us in our continuous efforts to maintain and improve the service level we aim for. I can assure you that your comfort and satisfaction are of utmost importance to us and for that please accept my sincere apologies if your stay was negatively affected by the service you received from our hotel. I appreciate you bringing this matter into our attention as this is our best resource for improving guest satisfaction. I have taken note of your valuable comments and will use these to monitor and improve the quality of services we offer to our guests.

Krysllin G.
Syracuse, New York
Reviewed 4 September 2013

Booked mini family vacation and left hotel after one hour. Pool area had dirty walls with holes in the Sheetrock and my kids found a poop floating at the bottom. Pulling my kids out immediately I found that the door was broken and we were locked in the pool area. I threw my kids in the shower and sat on the bed to see boogers smeared all over the side of the nightstand. Hotel needs to get maintenance in the pool area to fix and clean it up, it's just embarrassing. Management needs to do more thorough room inspections before renting out.

• Stayed August 2013
1 Thank SYCmom
Dear SYCmom,

Thank you for your feedback. We take our guest comments very seriously and always strive to provide comfortable and friendly accommodations. We’re sorry we fell below your expectation regarding pool and room cleanliness which was unacceptable. We will address these points. I assure you the feedback of our hotel will be reviewed and most certainly forwarded to the appropriate departments. We take the confidence our guests place in us very seriously and work diligently to rectify any unsatisfactory experiences. We hope you give us a chance in the future to show you how great our hotel is.

Orlando A.
IHGCare

Travellers are raving about these Middletown hotels

Dartmouth, Canada
Reviewed 31 August 2013

I was here for business nearby and the location was great. We had a car, so it was very easy to get downtown, and only 5 minutes to work in the morning.

The room was what you'd expect from this kind of hotel, the bed was comfortable and the room was clean. Unfortunately my room was near the side door and it slammed constantly as people came in-and-out all evening. I could also hear the people above me moving around quite clearly, though not their talking, or any other noise. Luckily they settled-down fairly early so it didn't become an issue.

The reason I rated cleanliness low is that the pool was pretty dirty. There was no water circulation (broken?) and there was a lot of dirt on the bottom of the pool, and the tiles around it seemed quite dirty as well. The water was also very cold, perhaps that's related to the circulation problem.

In my room the WiFi was basically unusable. The signal was so weak that the nearby restaurant's hotspot was more powerful. There is also Ethernet available, so I was able to use my laptop (the Ethernet connection was just fine) but not my phone.

One weird thing is that they never seemed to empty the garbage cans while I was there. Not good.

The free breakfast was actually pretty good. The horrible sodium filled sausages you often see in US hotels were absent, the scrambled eggs were really well done (no really, they were) and the bacon was pretty good. They also had some fruit, the coffee was pretty good, and there's bread and so on if you eat that sort of thing. One thing strangely missing was drinking water.

Anyway, assuming the pool issue is temporary I'd stay here again. There are a lot of other nearby hotels in the same category though, so it's worth looking around.

Room Tip: Stay off the ground floor, or at least away from the doors and the elevators.
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Almaniac
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Middletown / Newport, responded to this review, 18 September 2013
Dear Almaniac,

Thank you for your review of our hotel.

We are saddened to hear of your encounters in our hotel and would like to extend our sincere apologies for the inconvenience caused by the noise challenges you had and for the dissatisfaction the pool condition has caused you. It is our fullest intention to provide the best experience, as such, we are constantly looking into areas of improvements in the best of our efforts assuring you of our best attention and service at all times.

Your feedback is indeed of utmost importance to us and rest assured that actions will be taken to ensure our guests continue to enjoy superlative levels of service and comfort that they expect when staying at our hotel. We appreciate your feedback and your business. We hope to get a chance of hosting you again and show you how great our hotel is.

Dhan M
UK
Reviewed 31 August 2013

Upon checking into our room we weren't entirely convinced the bed sheets were fresh. They seemed to be clean but had not been pressed. The white sheets were now a strange shade of grey. The wallpaper in the bedroom was peeling off, the curtains were stained and smelly. The entire hotel needs a facelift. The gym was a depressing, small box with a poor selection of machines/equipment. The pool was small and uninviting.

• Stayed August 2013
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Middletown / Newport, responded to this review, 16 September 2013
Dear CullybackeyDisco,

Thank you for taking the time to review our property. We take our guest comments very seriously and always strive to provide comfortable and friendly accommodations. We’re very sorry you were not satisfied with the condition of the room. The feedback we receive from our valued guests, like you, enables us to target problem areas. We welcome any opportunity to improve.

Ferdinand G
New Jersey
Reviewed 30 August 2013

As an IHG platinum member I stayed here for two weekend nights recently using 35,000 IHG points per night. I selected this hotel because of its Middletown location and convenient access to Newport. I had a one bedroom suite with a pull out sofa bed on the third floor adjacent to the elevator overlooking the front of the hotel. The suite was nice. It included complimentary internet access, small refrigerator and microwave. The hotel had an indoor swimming pool and complimentary breakfast. The complimentary breakfast could be improved. For example the scrambled eggs tasted like powdered eggs. The hard boiled eggs tasted like they were from a preservation jar.

Middletown is clearly a Navy town. Lot’s of Navy people are visible.

The really nice thing about this hotel was the convenience to downtown Newport, which we visited every day for lunch and dinner for all the action..

My original hotel reservation was for three weekend nights. I was able to change my reservation on my second night from three nights to only two nights. I was also able to recover my 35,000 IHG for my third night.

So overall I was pleased with this hotel.

1 Thank Tony J
Madison, Wisconsin
Reviewed 29 August 2013

Stayed over a weekend mid-August. Hotel was predictably booked full given high season and proximity to Newport. Room smelled overwhelmingly of mold (coming from AC) and was poorly cleaned upon arrival. Requested crib multiple times, which was not available on arrival. There was literally zero housekeeping service during the day: garbage wasn't emptied, coffee supplies weren't restocked. To top it all off, there weren't enough towels for guests in the hotel! We were given only a limited supply late in the day (3-4 pm). The breakfast food was adequate, but coffee was poorly stocked. The staff were friendly, but clearly overworked, which seems to be a theme based on previous reviews. Would avoid this hotel if at all possible.

Room Tip: Stay away from first floor; it's a zoo with the lobby, breakfast area, pool, and fitness room.
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Middletown / Newport, responded to this review, 19 September 2013
Dear corranhorn36,

Thank you for your recent stay with us and reviewing our property. Please accept our sincere apologies for falling short of your expectations on some aspects of your stay. Rest assured that these issues will be looked into. The feedback we receive from our valued guests, like you, enables us to target problem areas and take the necessary actions to ensure similar situations can be avoided in the future. We appreciate the candid feedback we receive and welcome any opportunity to improve.

Karen G.