“Only place ill stay when I'm in the area!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Holiday Inn Express Middletown / Newport

Holiday Inn Express Middletown / Newport
Ranked #8 of 18 Hotels in Middletown
Waterbury, Connecticut
“Only place ill stay when I'm in the area!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 April 2014 via mobile

For the price you can't go wrong! I stay in the Newport area around the holidays I enjoy doing touristy things like overpaying to look at the same mansion I've already seen three times just because its all decorated for Christmas. That's why when it comes to a hotel less is more! This is the best place to stay if you've got kids. The pool is always clean and warm. There's a good sized hot tub and its very sanitary. Plus there's a hot sauna. I love the complimentary breakfast. As long as you can muster up your group before breakfast closes or gets too picked over you can cut one meal a day out of your spending budget! Staff is wonderful and the price is great. Again, nice place to stay if you've got kids because there's stuff to entertain them right across the street., there's a movie theater with some arcade games. Plus There's a dollar store close by so you can stop in for crayons or other travel must haves without paying an arm and a leg!

• Stayed November 2013
1 Thank Rachel H

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (70)
  • Korean first
Charleston, South Carolina
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 March 2014

This hotel is not a luxury property and cannot be held to that standard. However, for a moderately priced facility, it exceeded my expectations in many ways..

The staff members were professional and friendly. My room, No. 145, was on the backside of the hotel and was extremely quiet. I enjoyed three great nights of uninterrupted rest. The pool area was clean and inviting and the exercise room was well appointed.

The morning breakfast was nicely presented and appetizing with a wide variety of choices.

This property is centrally located on Aquidneck Island with easy access to highways, shopping, restaurants and Newport. I would not hesitate to stay here again.

Room Tip: The hotel is situated on a busy road and the parking is outisde of the rooms on the front side. I e...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled solo
Scarsdale NY
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 February 2014

This is a nice-looking hotel that always delivers less than you expect. I've stayed here before and written middling reviews. I wasn't really considering booking here again, but got a jaw-droppingly low price via Kayak, so, okay. First thing: This hotel seems to court groups of visiting sports teams, so be prepared for noise. (You'll figure out who's been making it when your dining companions at breakfast include gangly guys holding lacrosse sticks.) Perhaps because of the clientele, cleanliness can take a hit at times - smashed Cheetos on the carpet in the stairwell; the occasional sports-bar wrapper in the hall. The rooms are comfy and well-appointed, but the walls are thin and if someone above you is being a little raucous, you will be aware of it. On the plus side, the breakfast buffet was ample. Yet you just can never fully let down your guard here, because something always seems to go wrong. On this visit, it was the maid service. We returned after 12 hours out, looking forward to flopping into our tidy beds, only to discover the maid had never paid a call. Our beds were unmade, we had no towels, and the old wet ones were still on the floor. I went downstairs to speak to the night manager who immediately gave me towels and toiletries. He took my info and assured me that the general manager, Susanne Bruneau, would be calling me in the morning, and asked for a good time to call. Susanne never called, of course. I saw her in the morning at checkout and she seemed surprised, insisting she had no clue that I'd spoken to the night guy. Her immediate response was that since we had booked our room through a third party, no adjustment could be made to our bill (and yet I hadn't asked for an adjustment, nor did I expect one). Apparently, they are operating two hotels - one for people who make their rez thru Holiday Inn, and a second-class operation for anyone who uses a reservation service (although Holiday Inn participates in those services). Susanne said sorry and goodbye. I think that was poor management and a missed opportunity to make things right with a customer. I needed only a proactive call and an apology. In all our stay was passable, but Susanne and her team weren't up to snuff, nor did we really receive the kind of basic service we paid for.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank miatagirl
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Middletown / Newport, responded to this review, 13 March 2014
Dear miatagirl,

Thank you for your feedback and for choosing to stay in our hotel again. It is really nice to know that you liked our breakfast buffet selections. On the other hand, my apologies for the inconvenience you experienced over the unsatisfactory service you received from the staff. Your comments are being shared with the hotel management and appropriate action will be taken. I appreciate your feedback as this is our best resource for improving guest services. We hope to have another chance of hosting you should your travels bring you back to Middletown.

Karen G.
Providence, Rhode Island
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 February 2014

We checked into this hotel after being disappointed by another area hotel. We had stayed at this hotel a year before and we felt comfortable to return to a place that was familiar. Our room smelled fairly clean (no tobacco smells or moldy smells). However, when I inspected underneath the bedding I was not pleased to find human hairs on the sheets. The vents also had not been vacuumed in ages so all the soot was trapped therein. It looks like housekeeping is cutting some corners on cleaning here and they are doing the bare minimum.

We tried the free breakfast provided by the hotel and it was the same old type we had tried the previous year; everything tasted like it was either from a can or pre-made at a factory and rehydrated before it was served to the customers. In other words there nothing fresh tasting about the free breakfast. They however have their signature pancake making machine to entertain you while you are there, but all in all their breakfast is too generic that I did not want to even try it again on the second day.

One thing that surprised me at this hotel was the fact that they do not care to shovel the snow on the side door entrances where we had parked. We had to climb over a pile of snow in order to access our car and it appeared that management did not care enough about customer safety to even ask their staff to clear the entrances. Last year when we stayed at this hotel everything looked fairly new and clean but now things are starting to deteriorate and I would not be surprised to find a worse hotel by this time next year (that is if management continues to overlook means of improving and reinventing themselves). I will only stay at this hotel as a last resort or if I am completely out of cash.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Middletown / Newport, responded to this review, 5 March 2014
Dear musiklef,

Ben J
Bristol, Rhode Island
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 January 2014 via mobile

Stayed here for New Years...decent location if you don't mind a cheap cab ride to newport. The walls in the hotel were pretty thin but the the rooms were very nice and the hotel was clean. Would stay here again for the price.

Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
Upstate New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 January 2014

Spent three nights here in December, just after Christmas. Downside was a huge group of children staying for a hockey competition with parents who seemed unfamiliar with any form of discipline! Management seemed to get it calmed down after the first night and gave us a discount so all fine. As always, our top floor room was comfortable and clean with a king bed, fridge, microwave, TV and DVD player. Breakfast is the usual fare for this type of hotel, and is adequate rather than wonderful, though the bagels are very fresh and the muffins are tasty. This was our fifth stay here in 2013, and probably the sixteenth stay overall, and we keep coming back because it is good value, wonderfully convenient for Newport and close to our favorite local restaurant, Anthony's Seafood. Also, the staff are excellent; helpful & friendly.

Room Tip: Top floor is best; no one clumping around above you!
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
Boston
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 December 2013

I stayed here for a wedding in nearby Newport, and everything was fine. 1 King bed with a sofabed and we were able to get a Crib as well for no charge. Everything was clean, and the room was spacious enough that the 4 of us did not feel overly cramped. Granted we did not spend a ton of time in the room. The minifridge and microwave were also helpful as we tend to travel with food due to some allergies. Provided breakfast is always a plus for us, and this was a decent spread. The hot items included their signature cinnamon rolls, eggs, bacon biscuits and gravy. Cereal fruit and yogurt were available as well. This was the first time I had seen an automated pancake make, and it was interesting, but the end product was more rubbery than fluffy.

The location was good with stores nearby for essentials, and Chili's sharing the parking lot. Our trip into Newport was relatively painless, although being October, we were not dealing with heavy traffic. We also benefitted from a discounted blocked room rate, so it's tough to say how it measures up value wise at full price.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Trav3l1er
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Middletown / Newport, responded to this review, 12 January 2014
Dear Trav3l1er,

I appreciate you taking the time to review your experience with us. I am glad that you found our rooms to be spacious and well maintained and our location was suitable for your needs.

I hope we get the chance to host you again soon should your travels bring you back to the area.

Pam G