“Good Three Day Stay”

Ranked #8 of 18 Hotels in Middletown
New York City, New York
“Good Three Day Stay”
Reviewed 1 July 2014

This is my third stay in an IHG property in the past two months and I am genuinely impressed with the company. My first two were in the Staybridge Suites-BWI (see my review of that) and this property almost (but not quite) matches it.

Location is on West Main Rd. in Middletown and extremely convenient while avoiding the madness (and prices) of Newport itself. There is a terrific beach about 2 miles away (between 5 minutes and 1/2 hour depending on traffic LOL). Access to Newport itself is easy and direct so that meets the needs of the Newport visitor quite nicely.

We always drive overnight, so my party of 5 (4 adults and a 2 year old) arrived at about 3:45 AM. Despite the hour, the desk man (Jordan) was pleasant, efficient and welcoming. I'm not sure I could be at that hour but he was great. On that subject, desk staff was uniformly friendly (thanks to Anthony for the restaurant advice) and helpful throughout the 3 days. It was also impressive to see the GM of the property (Derek) actually being hands on on a Saturday, actually helping staff with various matters right down to stocking the breakfast.

Rooms are great size, somewhat larger than the standard hotel room with a desk set and pull out sofa in addition to the King bed. Housekeeping does a nice job, even on weekends and the rooms were clean. Bedding is comfortable and the A/C is efficient even when the room is pretty warm (meaning sweaty hot) before you get there.

Complimentary breakfast is served for a long time and, unlike many properties, they don't dismantle it all when official hours are over. They stop refreshing the selections but they do leave the rest out until they are finished. Small thing but helpful to really late risers. The selections are not quite as extensive as the Staybridge-BWI but are more than adequate and far exceed the "continental" breakfast offered in many places.

The indoor pool/Jacuzzi is also a solid amenity as are the in room fridge, microwave and coffee maker. Given the 24 hour coffee in the lobby we didn't use the coffee maker but it's nice to have.

Now the downsides (actually more like nits). I really missed the 24 hour pantry that Staybridge has. Since we tend to arrive late and stay out late, it's convenient to pick up a cookie or a bag of chips at 2:00 AM. However, there is a Hess Mart across the street so it's handleable.

The other minor nit is that the WiFi router doesn't have the power to reach rooms on the ends of the building. We had room 202 and the WiFi never worked although it was perfect in the halls near the core and the lobby itself. If WiFi is important to you, ask to avoid the really low (-02, -04) or really high room numbers far from the core.

All in all this is a moderate cost/ high value property. In the interest of full disclosure, my son works for IHG and this is the reason I started staying with them, but it's NOT the reason I like their properties. The two I have stayed in so far have met every need I might have and fully merit my endorsement on their own.

Room Tip: If WiFi is important, avoid rooms on the extreme ends of the building. The router doesn't have...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (72)
  • Korean first
Morris County, New Jersey
Reviewed 28 June 2014

I have found Holiday Inn Express to always be a good choice and this one was no exception. The staff was excellent and really made us feel at home. The only complaint I have is that the wireless internet service in the room was spotty - sometimes you had to go out in the hall to reconnect. The service would go in and out. Oh and the pancake machine was not working - minor inconvenience. The room was clean and quiet and very comfortable. I would not hesitate to stay here again.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank bogey2020
Raleigh, North Carolina
Reviewed 20 June 2014 via mobile

We are on a long driving trip and coincidentally this was our third Holiday Inn Express and fourth hotel of the beginning of our trip. This one did such a good job, particularly compared to its peers, that we extended our stay a day. It is a bit plain on the outside along a commercial street laden with strip shopping centers but it is set back from the street. Inside is sparkling--tasteful lobby, nicely arranged breakfast room and extremely well done rooms. There seems to be a template for these, but this particular spot had more spacious rooms and bathrooms with plenty of towel bars and hooks for convenience and encouraging "green" approaches of re-hanging towels. The room and bathroom were spotless as were the public areas--even the laundry room! They were even power-washing the planters and walks outside one morning and sprucing up paint while we were there. The check in staff were extremely nice. When we were there there were two tour groups and the breakfast room attendants completely kept up with the bursts of people, which is something few do.

Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
MA
Reviewed 15 June 2014

I booked three rooms at this hotel for a girls weekend through hotwire. We were pleasantly surprised with everything that went along with our stay. The rooms were very clean, we actually commented on how the hallways even looked very clean. The staff was friendly and helpful and the man who checked us in, I think it was Anthony, was helpful with our request for the rooms to be next to each other, he had even remembered talking with me the week before when called to make the request. The breakfast was pretty much your standard continental breakfast-- the cinnamon rolls were delicious, they also had eggs, fresh pancakes, fruit, cereal, yogurt, breads, plenty to satisfy anyone.
The hotel is fairly close to downtown Newport, I would say maybe a 15 minute drive. There is also a chili's in the parking lot for a convenient meal. I would definitely choose this place again if I was in the area.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank alissa2128
Bridgeport, Connecticut
Reviewed 28 May 2014

Not the greatest place to stay but it was above average. They had the better than standard express breakfast, the hotel was a little noisy and a bit congested. The hotel staff from the front desk to the housekeepers were very good. There is a Chili's in the parking lot and a few good restaurants in the area. The hotel was in a good location.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
Saratoga Springs
Reviewed 21 April 2014

This is a great place to stay with the family. Its great value. The room was spotless and the staff very friendly and helpful. The free breakfast was more generous than I expected with bacon and eggs and bagel and muffins plus cereal and fruit. The pool was great for the children to unwind in. There is no bar in the hotel but there is a chili's in the car park. The location was handy for moving about Newport and surrounding areas. Living up to its name of being 'middle'town. It is only a 5 min taxi into Newport and is a straight road into the town. Not the place for a romantic weekend for two. There were a good few sports teams staying! The perfect place for those looking for clean, cheap and cheerful.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank SaratogaFamily
Madison, Wisconsin, United States
Reviewed 16 April 2014

Even though we arrived at 3:45pm and our check-in time was 3:00pm, there were somehow no rooms available for us. We had a very short amount of time to get ready for a wedding. Staff cleaned a room in about 10 minutes and told us we would be 'upgraded' to a suite. Problem is that we had requested 2 beds and instead our 'suite' had one king bed and a sofa bed. We had no time to argue so we agreed to this, but we never could have anticipated how uncomfortable the sofa bed mattress was. The springs were awful with absolutely no padding. I'm not picky when it comes to where I sleep, but let me tell you, this was hands-down the worst hotel experience I've had. We called the front desk to ask if they had an alternative - turns out they had a roll-in bed but (of course) they would charge us $16 for it - Are you kidding me? I ended up sleeping on the very hard floor. And by that, I mean, I tried to sleep but wasn't able to. So much for paying for a hotel room so we could get a good night's sleep... Finally, as others have said, the walls are paper-thin. We were put right next to the elevator and it was so loud all night long. So were the other hotel guests. My recommendation: Pay an extra $10-$20 to stay at a nearby hotel. This was NOT worth it. Also, this hotel is definitely not worthy of a 3-star level (as Hotwire advertises).

Room Tip: Request to NOT be next to the elevator, and don't plan on using the sofa bed if your room has on...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Casey K
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Middletown / Newport, responded to this review, 2 May 2014
Dear Casey K,

First of all, thank you very much for your recent stay at our hotel. I am so sorry to see you did not enjoy your overall experience with us. We’d like to obtain some additional detail regarding your experience so we have sent you a private message. We hope to have the honor of serving you again should your travels bring you back to Middletown Newport.

Orlando A.
Case Manager
IHGCare

Travellers are raving about these Middletown hotels

Also consider these accommodations in or near Middletown
Hampton Inn & Suites Newport/Middletown
Quality Inn & Suites Middletown - Newport
Homewood Suites by Hilton Newport Middletown
Courtyard Newport Middletown
Courtyard Newport Middletown
#6 of 18 in Middletown
Travelodge Middletown Newport Area
Mainstay Hotel & Conference Center

Been to Holiday Inn Express Middletown / Newport? Share your experiences!