“Liked our room!”

The Carriage House Inn, an Ascend Collection hotel
Ranked #10 of 18 Hotels in Middletown
“Liked our room!”
Reviewed 15 October 2013 via mobile

We had a huge handicap accessible room right off of the lobby. Felt very homelike.
Everything was clean except for the overstuffed armchair. Think these should not be in hotel rooms unless they have some kind of cover that can be removed and laundered.
Breakfast was just off the lobby and had enough selection to get you started. They did have Jimmy Dean sausage egg and cheese sandwiches to heat in the microwave. Two of the staff were very nice, the gentleman on duty this morning kind if ignored everyone. Guess that was ok but do appreciate a little eye contact!
Oh, the price if our room was great! Have paid a lot more for a lot less!

• Stayed October 2013
1 Thank sharronw

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
Bossier City, Louisiana
Reviewed 27 August 2013

This inn desperately needs some tlc...
1. The carpets were filthy.
2. The decor is dated.
3. The furnishings are falling apart.
4. There is no water pressure in the shower.
5. The windows are cracked.
6. There was a moldy tea bag in the coffee maker for the duration of our stay.
The whole place just feels cheap and not worth the price paid!

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Ian71037
St. James, New York, United States
Reviewed 31 July 2013

The location and price of the hotel were fine. However, the place really needs new carpeting and windows. I learned that it used to be a nursing home that was converted to a hotel. It looks like nothing has been upgraded ever. I was surprised this was part of the Ascend Collection.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank HarlanJF
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed 28 July 2013

Newport is expensive, and you still need a car. Staying at the Carriage House and parking in one of the Newport muni lots is still a better value. My room was embarrassingly large with couch and fridge. I sent a golf bag up in advance-it was in my room when I arrived. I needed a box to ship some stuff home-an excellent shipping box and packing material was in my room when I returned that afternoon. Bed was comfortable; internet was giving them fits, so I used my cell phone connection. I'll be back next year...

• Stayed July 2013, travelled on business
Manchester
Reviewed 26 July 2013

This is a great place in an area of large chains and expensive hotels that seems more comfortable. Short drive into Newport harbor area, mansions or the beaches, yet in a peaceful neighborhood setting. They have a great deck out in the back you can sit on and relax. The place is very clean, rooms are large and staff is helpful. Free complimentary breakfast is good, enough to get you going for the day. This was our second stay in the last few years, and both were very good.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
Seattle, WA
Reviewed 21 July 2013

This place was a headache from the moment we arrived. The check in was slow and unfriendly. The only plus was the AC was working and kept the room cold. We were a little worried when we arrived at the how dated the first floor rooms were. The first mistake was the dead earwig found under the mattress. It just went down hill after that. There was at least 8-10 earwigs flying around and we kept killing them. At this time it was so late that there was no way to change rooms and get rest. We did what we could to rest and explain what happened in the AM. The girl at the counter was not concerned about the experience. It makes you wonder if she had already heard that from other guests. We had two rooms and both had bug issues. Please be warned.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank aug08bride
Newton, Massachusetts
Reviewed 8 July 2013

I stayed here with my family for Memorial Day weekend and paid top dollar. Our room was located directly off of the lobby/breakfast area. It was a horrible location for a room and looked more like a location for a broom closet. The man sitting at the front desk barely acknowledged our presence upon arrival and was condescending and visibly annoyed when we couldn't initially locate our room. A guest (who was obviously a friend of the hotel staff) threw a huge party in the lobby, outside of my room. There were people drinking and being extremely noisy. My teenage girls got to hear all kinds of obscenities and witness binge drinking all while sitting in our room. When I opened my hotel room door, people were literally sitting outside my door drinking and laughing. The hotel staff joined along. When I called the front desk to tell them that we were trying to sleep, they suggested that I try to speak to the party myself. They finally agreed to ask them to quiet down, but that never happened. First thing in the morning, everyone congregated outside of my hotel door to have breakfast. I opened my door a crack and had people sitting down staring in my room (someone even mentioned "that's someone's room?") The clerk upon check out couldn't get any of my credit cards to go through, despite all of them being in good standing. After I explained our ordeal, he offered to remove 5% off our tab, without any apology whatsoever, and he assured me that the manager would contact me. My credit card was charged 2 weeks later at full price and I never received a call, despite leaving 2 messages. This is the first bad review I've ever written, and I've had some pretty bad experiences in my life. I suggest avoiding this place, especially on a busy weekend. It was a terrible experience and I was actually thinking of calling the Better Business Bureau after my experience.

Room Tip: I only experienced my room directly located off the lobby.