“Very Convenient!”

Newport Ambassador Inn & Suites
Ranked #17 of 18 Hotels in Middletown
Reviewed 11 August 2012

This motel was formerly the Ambassador Inn and is now a very well run Econo Lodge! True, the outside doesn't say much as far as appearances go, but everything else was fantastic! We stayed in room 228 which has a king size bed, sofa, toaster oven, fridge and coffee maker. Very clean, great maid service. The towels were a little bit worn but not a big deal. Pleasant staff, wifi very fast, and very clean overall. Breakfast was well stocked: waffles, coffeee, juice, donuts, cereal, toast. And the best part of all was that it is centrally located and only 3.5 miles to Newport.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Newport Ambassador Inn & Suites

Reviewed 2 August 2012

We stayed here because it was a popular weekend in Newport and everywhere else was booked. This place was fairly close to downtown Newport (10 minute drive) so we thought it would be fine since we weren't planning to be in the hotel much anyway. Rooms were NOT clean and smelled weird, desk and countertops were dusty, screen on window was broken, bathroom was gross, glasses/mugs were dirty, pool was disgusting, breakfast was bad, staff was unfriendly and unhelpful. STAY AWAY!!!

Room Tip: There are no good rooms
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled with friends
2  Thank Durg187
Reviewed 26 July 2012

I wish I read the reviews before I booked my room here. The carpets are stained. The rooms smell terrible. Our key card never worked properly all four days there. I know I should have left early. The toilet didn't flush right. Those pictures are very staged. The hotel rooms are not nice at all. If you are looking for a dirty, loud, smelly flea bag hotel, then this is the spot.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank madmady
Reviewed 5 July 2012

this place was horrible.. the smeell the service.. to begin the service, all of the people there are so rude and mean, yyoou cant ask them any thing . always in a bad mood not FRIENDLY AT ALL!!! everything is dirtty i thought i was gonna catch a disease from the unclean bedsheets ect .. when i asked for more he "cournt give any" .. just my warning to all go anywhere else.. breakfest sucked! never again

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank rafaalili
Reviewed 13 June 2012

This was about the only hotel that had rooms available for the weekend I was in RI. My family booked three rooms for four nights so we could be near the funeral home where we were having my fathers wake. The rooms were small and not very nice but for the price we didn't complain. The hairdryer in my room didn't work but I used the one in my cousins room.

The real problem came the night of the wake. When we arrived back to the hotel there was no one working on property and my aunt and cousin had demagnetized there keys. They searched the hotel and became so desperate they called the police. The police that arrived weren't shocked apparently this happened a lot because the one said that the night guy was normally asleep in the back office. When he checked he was unable to find anyone.

The next morning they went to complain to the manager, Vito(?) and he refused to give them a discount for the night because he didn't like my Aunts tone. He then came into our room after her and berated her for using "that sort of language when she was going to a funeral" and told my mother he was sorry for our loss but he couldn't comp the night. He did give my mother twenty dollars off the extra night we needed and acted like it was a favor to us.

Room Tip: To get a good room book somewhere else.
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank faye_whitaker
Reviewed 13 June 2012

I have traveled all over the country and have never been compelled to write a review until now. Please, please, please do not stay at this horrific place. I chose this hotel because of its advertized pet policy (I have a dog). The rates quoted me were $10/night extra for a pet. When I arrived, the front desk manager told me that it was $30, but as I had no where else to go, I had to suck it up. The room itself was full of mold. I had to take my dog to the vet when I got home as she had developed a terrible cough and eye infections. In addition, the television did not work. The fridge was full of mold and the wet/refreshment bar was stuffed with dirty linens. When I complained to the front desk, someone quickly came and fixed the tv. But the other problems were not addressed. In addition, we were given a room next to the motel's side entrance and the drunk people coming in and out kept us awake all night. When we checked out, I explained the situation to the front desk manager, who merely shrugged. No apology at all. In addition, when I asked for a receipt for my stay, the desk manager told me that since I had booked through an outside party (bringfido.com) that he could not give me a receipt. I told him that since he had taken my credit card information he damn well should. Sighing the whole time, he did as I asked. The price that I had been quoted came to $250.00. I ended up paying $350.00. DO NOT STAY HERE!

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 1 June 2012

During my 3 week road trip I stayed in a lot of different motels and this place was by far the worst place I stayed at during the trip if not ever. It was memorial day weekend and Newport was pretty booked up an pricey. The motel calls itself Ambassador Inn and Suites these days and the pictures you find on their site look pretty nice but don't let yourself be fooled! As other have written here the rooms are smelly, dark and damp. Furniture is falling apart. Rooms are not clean. Toilet seat was loose. Towels have dirty spots which looked like dried blood. Lamp in bathroom did not have a cover and wires were hanging from it, really dangerous. The coffee making facilities and glasses were dirty and full of dirty fingerprints. Walls are paper thin so it gets very very noisy at all times. Key card didn't work when we returned to the motel after visiting Newport and the staff said "Maybe it doesn't like you. This was said in an awfully rude way. Well guess what Ambassador Inn/Econolodge. I don''t like you either.
I hope you read this review before thinking of going there and can avoid the awful experience. Plenty of other places down the road.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Syltan
Also consider these accommodations in or near Middletown
Travelodge Middletown Newport Area
Quality Inn & Suites Middletown - Newport
Mainstay Hotel & Conference Center
Bay Willows Inn
Bay Willows Inn
#13 of 18 in Middletown
Holiday Inn Express Middletown / Newport
Newport Harbor Hotel & Marina

Been to Newport Ambassador Inn & Suites? Share your experiences!