“Don't expect to park here”

Comfort Inn Middletown
Ranked #14 of 18 Hotels in Middletown
Reviewed 22 July 2013

Unfortunately, an incident at this hotel has upset and disgusted me tremendously.
We returned one evening around 6 PM to find no parking spots available in the lot. The handicapped spaces were also full, someone even parked in the access space for wheelchairs ( which is not a parking space ) NONE of these cars had a handicapped permit or hotel parking permit on the dash. We were quite tired after sightseeing all day and I was in a GREAT deal of pain. I DO have a handicapped permit, yet I had NO where to park.
We immediately informed the front desk of the situation. They said the cars probably belonged to people at the bar across the street. They said they would call over there and check before they had them towed. Well excuse me, but shouldn't they be more concerned that THEIR guests had no where to park? Let alone that people are breaking the law and illegally parking in handicapped spaces that deserving people need. Where I come from people have more respect for those with disabilities than this. The cars should have been towed IMMEDIATELY!!! Were they? No. We did not see ANY cars being towed that evening. In fact, some of them were still there in morning. The clerk told us to go park at the Newport Beach hotel instead of doing anything about this situation. Totally UNACCEPTABLE!!!!
I hope everyone will find this unacceptable enough to not want to stay here. I certainly do, and will never return. If however, you still want to stay here I will now give my regular review of the hotel.
Thankfully, I was able to stay here free with reward points, as I never would have paid the price they were asking for this place. Guests deserve A LOT more ammenities and better service for what they charge.
We did not see any hose to rinse sand off after returning from the beach.
There is a guest laundry, but it is very expensive at $2.50 per machine.
Rooms are small with double beds. At least the beds are comfortable. Very few rooms have any ocean view. I personally don't understand why anyone would build a hotel at the beach without balconies. Rooms also do not have a micro. or ref.
Bathroom is a decent size, but could use a larger vanity and a make-up mirror.
Breakfast is only adequate. The room is rather small. Get there early.
The beach isn't directly across the street, it's more like next to across the street. Still, it is close enough to walk.
The water at the beach was warm and the ocean floor was sandy. The water however, was full of red seaweed/kelp. I do mean FULL! I do not know if it is always this way. The beach had more trash than ANY beach I've ever been on. This trash was left by the visitors, not washed ashore. I have been all up and down both the east and west coasts, all the islands of Hawaii, and most of the Caribbean islands, and I have NEVER seen so much trash on a beach.
I would like to return to Newport some day and see more of the mansions, but I definitely won't be staying here.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
3  Thank HUSKERTRAVELER

Reviewed 20 July 2013

Just came from a poor Comfort Inn experience, but this hotel was good. Room was clean and spacious. Good location - close to Easton beach and several good restaurants. Desk staff was very helpful. Disappointed that refrigerators were not available for all rooms and only 1 ice machine for entire hotel - should consider improving this for guests.

Room Tip: Pool hours are very limited, only opening at noon and closing at 8 on weekdays.
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 5 July 2013

We stayed 4 nights at this hotel and had a great time. Staff was friendly and the room was clean. Location is right across the beach with quite a few bars within walking distance.

We had a very large room with a beautiful view of the ocean/beach. No issues with the room at all.

The lobby to the hotel is on the 2nd floor as the hotel is on stilts. The actual entry way, it's a small glass enclosed area that basically only serves the purpose of taking you to the elevator. This area STUNK like sewage our entire stay. We often avoided going this way and took the unlocked side door up to our room. We'd scrunch our noses everytime we'd enter the area and question why they didn't atleast wash the area daily with pinesol or something.

The breakfast was the worst I've had at a Comfort Inn. We stay at this chain often and one of my favs is their make your own waffles. Whoever is in charge of mixing the batter did a terrible job as the waffles didn't expand in the cooker like usual. They also neglected to offer some type of spray for the hot plate so my waffle split in two upon opening it up. Other than having very crappy waffles, the breakfast offered looked to be the norm.

There is also a shuttle to downtown Newport for an additional $8.00/person which runs until 12:30 am. This proved to be a great benefit as we didn't have to worry about having cash for a cab and were able to enjoy the nightlife Newport has to offer.

The room was comfortable and clean. They are overdue for some new beds and bedding but I am sure that will come in time.

I probably won't stay here again. At close to $200.00 per night, I can't say smelling sewer upon entering the building was very pleasing. You are definitely paying for location here, being right across the street to the beach is a plus, especially when most places charge you atleast $10.00 - $20.00 per day for parking.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Chemandy
Reviewed 2 July 2013

We stayed here one night for a wedding on Easton's Beach. We asked for a king bed room, and we got that with no problems. The room was a nice size, very clean and was nice and cool for our arrival. The location is key. We were able to walk everywhere. The beach was across the street, restaurants and bars were close and the beach bar was right across the beach. (I suggest getting there early if you want to move your table in the sun.)
Since we were there for a wedding, our guest bag was already in our room on the table, which was also nice.
Only downfall, our room's AC unit was extremely loud, sounded like a lawnmower by the time we went to bed, but by check the next morning, before we even said anything, the hotel had already sent a mechanic up to take a look at the problem. Clearly they stay ontop of these sorts of things.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 26 June 2013

We found the hotel to be convenient and the staff was extremely friendly. The breakfast was good with many selections and there is a lovely outdoor eating area. However, the rooms smelled a bit musty and the pool looked to be in poor quality. It was very cloudy. We would try this hotel again in the future based on location and staff.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank ColleenG17
Reviewed 10 June 2013

I hosted a bachelorette party in Newport this weekend, 7 of us stayed in 2 rooms here at Comfort Inn. The location is a perfect alternative to staying directly in Newport. There is a liquor store, resturants and bars in and the beach (and beach bar) across the street!The rooms were smaller than expected, the pictures on the website show larger rooms, not the case here. The rooms and bathrooms were clean but no extra's provided beyond a bar of soap, shampoo and conditioner. The beds are not comfortable, and the pillows are so soft it's like not even usisng one. Breakfast was provided, but not pleasing; microwave eggs, super salty sausage patties, hard muffins, the best option was the make your own waffles. The breakfast room is very small with only 6 tables so if you come at a busy time you might not get a seat. The lobby was dirty and look like construction was going on. The check-in area was outdated. We stayed on the 3rd floor and had a partial view of the ocean. Your room key will get you a 10% discount at Tickets Grill or Atlantic Beach Club both across the street. We headed into Newport at night and were unable to get in touch with any Taxis in the area as they were all busy, the hotel provided a shuttle for a cost of $8 per person round trip and our ride arrived within 10 minutes, VERY convenient! Overall, the hotel serviced it's purpose to us, but do not expect too much.

I would recommend this hotel for a group on a budget!!

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank Valerie M
Reviewed 22 May 2013

We recently stayed 2 nights while attending my son's graduation festivities from the Naval Academy Prep School.

It is about a 5-10 min ride over to the Naval Base so it is a good location. It is right on the beach, indoor pool looked very nice and clean although none of us used it.

The breakfast was good, typical Choice Hotels breakfast with waffle maker and numerous danish, bagels, sausage and eggs.

There are several restaurants within walking distance.

If we return to this area, we would definitely consider staying here again.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with family