“location is all it has going for this property”

Comfort Inn Middletown
Ranked #14 of 18 Hotels in Middletown
Reviewed 26 July 2013

if I had had to pay for this room the rating would be worse. we had requested an early checkin. got there at 11am and our early checkin was 2pm. I guess that qualifies because 3 pm is the advertised time. we parked the car in the shade of the building overhang. when we returned from the beach the car was soaked with the water from the a/c's above, wouldn't have been so bad but the car is a convertible and the top was down. the front desk said they had never heard of that before. they never even offered a towel to wipe it down. as we were walking to dinner I pointed out to my wife that under every a/c unit there was a puddle, never heard of this problem before? parking is not really available. they sell spots and give them to servers from the atlantic beach club. so when you arrive back from a day trip you are handed a slip of paper to put on the dash and just find a spot or park in the atlantic house lot. also told that if the police come by and tow they are not at fault and tow is up to you. 1 ice machine for the whole hotel on the second floor. and I was never able to fill the bucket up. was always empty. the stairway from the 3rd floor to the ice machine is very dirty, on the railing was a dryed up split glob hanging from the lower railing. was there for all 3 days. I do have a pic. also in the clean arena, we pulled down the sheets and found dryed blood on the them. when we called down we were questioned and implied that we got the blood on the sheets. andwere told there is a 2nd bed and it is only the 2 of you. REALLY? also next morning we found dryed blood on the shower curtain. didn't call on that one. why bother. so if this is the only option for a room, just turn around and head to warwick. this property is not worth any cost.

1  Thank nh2boston
There are newer reviews for Comfort Inn Middletown

Reviewed 24 July 2013

I just spent a lot of my United miles on a weekend at this property and I am really mad that I did that.
Upon arriving, we parked in a spot to check in and get settled. We were in a Mustang convertible and it was over 100 degrees outside. After two hours, we went outside to head to the beach but first stopping at the car. Well.. all their air conditioners drip a lot and flooded the inside of the car. We talked to the front desk and were told "wow-that's too bad" No offer of even a towel.
At bedtime on the first evening, we pull down the covers to find some blood stains on the sheets. We called and asked for new sheets. I was asked how long it had been since we checked in...really??? That is totally disgusting that a question was asked of me, as if we some how were responsible for very old dried out blood stains on sheets. We were also told there were two beds in the room, implying we should just switch to the other bed.
Parking is a disaster and we couldn't get a space in the property on Saturday evening after dinner. We were told to just find whatever we could and "wow-that's too bad" ..again. I ran into a person (bartender from another restaurant) leaving a spot and found out they give area restaurant personnel spots to park for free in their lot. Apparently other restaurants don't allow their own people to park in their lots so they can charge daily rates of $20 for beach goers and make more money. So.. this Comfort Inn gives them a place to park at the expense of their guests. This makes absolutely no sense and guests have no place to park at all but pay a lot of $$ for a room at the beach..
Last but not least is the strange room safe fee. I was charged up front a fee for daily use of a safe I did not use.. I was told the fee would be removed if I didn't use the safe. Then I read their safe policy.. "covered for losses of up to XX$ for losses by theft" if there was some sort of forced break in. so in other words, some one would have to break into the room, then break into the safe before anything was covered. Really? Who in their right mind would do that? That's a lot of "breaking in", isn't it before you cover anything?
I made sure I left with a bill that took this charge off my bill. and I don't think this is a charge does anything more than generate income if patrons don't ask it to be removed. No one should pay for a non service like this one.
I feel bad for others that paid three figures for these rooms, but I really wasted my miles on this. They so need to get their act together.

2  Thank NashuaNH
Reviewed 22 July 2013

Unfortunately, an incident at this hotel has upset and disgusted me tremendously.
We returned one evening around 6 PM to find no parking spots available in the lot. The handicapped spaces were also full, someone even parked in the access space for wheelchairs ( which is not a parking space ) NONE of these cars had a handicapped permit or hotel parking permit on the dash. We were quite tired after sightseeing all day and I was in a GREAT deal of pain. I DO have a handicapped permit, yet I had NO where to park.
We immediately informed the front desk of the situation. They said the cars probably belonged to people at the bar across the street. They said they would call over there and check before they had them towed. Well excuse me, but shouldn't they be more concerned that THEIR guests had no where to park? Let alone that people are breaking the law and illegally parking in handicapped spaces that deserving people need. Where I come from people have more respect for those with disabilities than this. The cars should have been towed IMMEDIATELY!!! Were they? No. We did not see ANY cars being towed that evening. In fact, some of them were still there in morning. The clerk told us to go park at the Newport Beach hotel instead of doing anything about this situation. Totally UNACCEPTABLE!!!!
I hope everyone will find this unacceptable enough to not want to stay here. I certainly do, and will never return. If however, you still want to stay here I will now give my regular review of the hotel.
Thankfully, I was able to stay here free with reward points, as I never would have paid the price they were asking for this place. Guests deserve A LOT more ammenities and better service for what they charge.
We did not see any hose to rinse sand off after returning from the beach.
There is a guest laundry, but it is very expensive at $2.50 per machine.
Rooms are small with double beds. At least the beds are comfortable. Very few rooms have any ocean view. I personally don't understand why anyone would build a hotel at the beach without balconies. Rooms also do not have a micro. or ref.
Bathroom is a decent size, but could use a larger vanity and a make-up mirror.
Breakfast is only adequate. The room is rather small. Get there early.
The beach isn't directly across the street, it's more like next to across the street. Still, it is close enough to walk.
The water at the beach was warm and the ocean floor was sandy. The water however, was full of red seaweed/kelp. I do mean FULL! I do not know if it is always this way. The beach had more trash than ANY beach I've ever been on. This trash was left by the visitors, not washed ashore. I have been all up and down both the east and west coasts, all the islands of Hawaii, and most of the Caribbean islands, and I have NEVER seen so much trash on a beach.
I would like to return to Newport some day and see more of the mansions, but I definitely won't be staying here.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
3  Thank HUSKERTRAVELER
Reviewed 20 July 2013

Just came from a poor Comfort Inn experience, but this hotel was good. Room was clean and spacious. Good location - close to Easton beach and several good restaurants. Desk staff was very helpful. Disappointed that refrigerators were not available for all rooms and only 1 ice machine for entire hotel - should consider improving this for guests.

Room Tip: Pool hours are very limited, only opening at noon and closing at 8 on weekdays.
Reviewed 5 July 2013

We stayed 4 nights at this hotel and had a great time. Staff was friendly and the room was clean. Location is right across the beach with quite a few bars within walking distance.

We had a very large room with a beautiful view of the ocean/beach. No issues with the room at all.

The lobby to the hotel is on the 2nd floor as the hotel is on stilts. The actual entry way, it's a small glass enclosed area that basically only serves the purpose of taking you to the elevator. This area STUNK like sewage our entire stay. We often avoided going this way and took the unlocked side door up to our room. We'd scrunch our noses everytime we'd enter the area and question why they didn't atleast wash the area daily with pinesol or something.

The breakfast was the worst I've had at a Comfort Inn. We stay at this chain often and one of my favs is their make your own waffles. Whoever is in charge of mixing the batter did a terrible job as the waffles didn't expand in the cooker like usual. They also neglected to offer some type of spray for the hot plate so my waffle split in two upon opening it up. Other than having very crappy waffles, the breakfast offered looked to be the norm.

There is also a shuttle to downtown Newport for an additional $8.00/person which runs until 12:30 am. This proved to be a great benefit as we didn't have to worry about having cash for a cab and were able to enjoy the nightlife Newport has to offer.

The room was comfortable and clean. They are overdue for some new beds and bedding but I am sure that will come in time.

I probably won't stay here again. At close to $200.00 per night, I can't say smelling sewer upon entering the building was very pleasing. You are definitely paying for location here, being right across the street to the beach is a plus, especially when most places charge you atleast $10.00 - $20.00 per day for parking.

2  Thank Chemandy
Reviewed 2 July 2013

We stayed here one night for a wedding on Easton's Beach. We asked for a king bed room, and we got that with no problems. The room was a nice size, very clean and was nice and cool for our arrival. The location is key. We were able to walk everywhere. The beach was across the street, restaurants and bars were close and the beach bar was right across the beach. (I suggest getting there early if you want to move your table in the sun.)
Since we were there for a wedding, our guest bag was already in our room on the table, which was also nice.
Only downfall, our room's AC unit was extremely loud, sounded like a lawnmower by the time we went to bed, but by check the next morning, before we even said anything, the hotel had already sent a mechanic up to take a look at the problem. Clearly they stay ontop of these sorts of things.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 26 June 2013

We found the hotel to be convenient and the staff was extremely friendly. The breakfast was good with many selections and there is a lovely outdoor eating area. However, the rooms smelled a bit musty and the pool looked to be in poor quality. It was very cloudy. We would try this hotel again in the future based on location and staff.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank ColleenG17
Also consider these accommodations in or near Middletown
Newport Beach Hotel and Suites
Newport Marriott
Newport Marriott
#4 of 21 in Newport
Hampton Inn & Suites Newport/Middletown

Been to Comfort Inn Middletown? Share your experiences!