“Very nice Residence Inn”

Residence Inn Newport Middletown
Ranked #4 of 18 Hotels in Middletown
Reviewed 19 October 2010

This Residence Inn is fairly new and it shows in how clean and quiet it is. It is slightly off a busy road and is far enough away that the nights were perfectly quiet. The rooms are nicely done.

The pool is too small for exercising but perfect for small children. The exercise room is big and well equipped.

The breakfast room will get crowded in the morning. We were there early so we were fine but I saw a large crowd and they opened up a conference room to accommodate.

My only criticism is that they should have basic fresh fruit like more apples and bananas. They had cut cantalope and some not great looking golden delicious.

Also the new Residence Inn coffee they have everywhere is not good (but that is not the fault of this particular hotel).

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled with family

Reviewed 16 October 2010

We stayed at the Residence Inn for three nights The room was large, well laid out and stylish (interesting pictures). The bed was comfortable (as expected at any Marriott these days). Service at the front desk and breakfast area was excellent. Housekeeping had the room sparkling clean when we arrived and throughout our stay. Breakfast selections were ample and the hot selections varied each day. From the hotel, we found it easy to drive to the typical tourist spots such as the Newport Mansions, Cliff Walk, Ocean Drive, Fort Adams, and Newport Harbor. The drive into Newport was about 5 minutes.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 25 September 2010

Friendly staff, seemed to be willing to do just about anything asked of them. It was definitely their strong suit. It appeared that the nice lady in charge of the breakfast room knew just about every guests name within about one or two mornings.

Rooms were big, updated, well-appointed and very clean. Option of either wired or wireless high-speed internet (cable provided if you wished to go wired). Good selection of TV channels, although no Comedy Central (and I gotsta have my Daily Show).

Although I never had the time to take advantage of the bar or the happy-hour hors d'oeuvre, they appeared to be a hit with guests. Unexpected little extras like cookies at the front desk in the afternoon, and the staff dropping by with free drink tickets for the bar were a nice touch. The breakfast was really well done too.

I was a little reluctant to book a room at a location which was not in downtown Newport. I wanted to visit some of the sites and restaurants and have a few drinks to boot. My concerns were assuaged when I discovered that a quick cab ride would be inexpensive and only took a few minutes. Also by staying in Middletown, my drive to work took less than five minutes. I was told it would be a bit longer if I were staying in downtown Newport. Not having to pay for downtown hotel parking more than makes up for the minor inconvenience of taking a cab.

After just coming of a run of not-so-great business travel stays, this one was really nice.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled on business
Reviewed 27 August 2010

We arrived very early at 11:30 and were told our room would be ready in 20 minutes so we went out for lunch and then checked in. We were extremely pleased with the large size of the unit with a nice kitchenette, furnished living room, comfortable bed, and nicely appointed bath and sink areas. Unit was spotless and included fridge with ice maker, dishwasher, dishes, cooking utensils, etc. A large LCD TV on a swivel swung from the bedroom area to living room. The room was also quiet ....a big plus for us. In addition to
a good serve yourself breakfast to our great suprise they offered free dinner at night buffet style that included carved ham and chicken on another night along with superb cookies and sides. This was a first in our travels. Indoor pool was small but jacuzzi was large and powerful. We would definitely return here as it is only about 2 miles from heart of Newport.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 7 August 2010

I traveled with my parents and sister (we are both in our 20s) to stay here. My parents were in the area last year for a wedding and decided to come back for vacation this year with the whole family. This was the first time we'd been at this hotel, and the service was outstanding. They made sure that our stay was perfect and it truly was, we conversed with the staff there as if we'd known each other for years, which was a great touch! Three days a week they have dinner for the guests, which I thought was really nice. The room was beautiful, and the evenings that we were there I spent down in the beautiful lobby area reading. The breakfast was good, and I'm not a huge coffee drinker and I thought the coffee was great! It's a reasonable drive away from beaches and the center of Newport, though I noticed there are plenty of stores and places to eat in the general area as well. I'd definitely go back to that area, and back to the hotel without a second thought.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled with family
Reviewed 6 July 2010

Stayed at the hotel over the 4th of July weekend. This was my first trip to the Newport Area.

Very easy to get to the hotel, it is in a complex with the lesser standard Hojo and a Hampton Inn. There is an Applebees but it closed at midnight, so if you get in late there isn't anything to do.

Hotel:
Breakfast - can get crowded on a Holiday weekend. The make your own waffles is nice, but wish there were more options for fruit and the eggs were not good. The coffee was good.

Room - is comfortable. The fridge is great to store water, fruit, etc. for the beach.

Location - is about two miles from downtown so you have to drive everywhere. There are only 20 cabs in the entire area, and as we learned they are hard to come by so you have to drive.

Staff - friendly and helpful.

Overall if you want a reasonable hotel in a good location close to Newport this is the place to stay. With free internet, parking, and breakfast it is a bargain.

Newport is a great beach town, but parking is expensive!!!! And the cops are out to make money - Note the speed limit is 25 mph in Middletown where this hotel is located. I learned the hard way.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled with friends
1  Thank davismm
Reviewed 29 April 2010

What a nice property. Everything you would want in a hotel. Pet friendly, although they checked us into the no dog floor by mistake. Can't find anything negative about this place, just wish it was a little bit closer to downtown Newport.

• Stayed: April 2010
Also consider these accommodations in or near Middletown
Homewood Suites by Hilton Newport Middletown
Cambria Hotel & Suites Newport
Newport Marriott
Newport Marriott
#4 of 21 in Newport

Been to Residence Inn Newport Middletown? Share your experiences!