“Very Disappointing”

Atlantic Beach Hotel
Ranked #16 of 18 Hotels in Middletown
Reviewed 29 June 2014

We made reservations for 2 nights at this hotel with late check in. For some reason, my panic set in and I decided to call to confirm our reservation would be in tact for a 7PM check in. It took three phone calls (once put on hold and no one returned, once so rushed that she said check OUT instead of check IN, the third she confirmed our check in and hung up before I said goodbye). When we arrived, it became apparent that our room had been given away so we told we were being upgraded to a "cottage". The cottage was some sort of trailer that had been shingled, smelled of smoke, had a bug on the counter and was next to a biker bar (not what I would consider an ideal situation when traveling with children). We went to the front desk to discuss with the staff and received little in terms of customer service. There was only one person on duty who was not helpful, tried to infer the blame on us b/c we agreed to their "upgrade" and ultimately, I believe, gave us a room intended for someone else. When we finally got to our room we were less than impressed. There was a hole in the wall, the wallpaper was coming off in several locations, the pull out couch was completely broken and the in room blow dryer broke after about 30 seconds of use. The room itself was definitely dated, lacked efficient lighting and the in-room mini fridge was not level so when the door swung open it would not open all the way b/c it would hit the floor. While the location was good, 1st Beach is not a great place for families as most of the beach goers were young and drinking to excess. Do not put this hotel on your list of options when visiting Newport/Middletown b/c you will be sorely disappointed.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Elizabeth C

Reviewed 24 June 2014

Booked on booking.com Needless to say. I went to check in at 4pm and it took 45 minutes as the girl didn't know how to find or book my room. Thought I would staying in the main hotel but to my surprise I was in the cottages around the corner, next to Rustys bar. One king size bed, kitchen, small fridge, descent bathroom. plenty of towels, tv. small pull couch that I wouldn't sleep on as it had so many stains. This was a girls weekend. We did like the nice deck over looking the water and we could walk to the ABC and if your feeling adventurous you could walk to Newport. We took our car.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 26 May 2014 via mobile

We thought the place was okay but on the second day of staying I came back and found some of my make up had been missing. We left only for three hours and made sure the door was locked. I had left it on the bathroom counter. We went down to the front desk to complain and the girl said the managers would be in tomorrow (our day of checkout) we went down the next morning and instead of apologizing they said no maids had cleaned the room implying I had lost it myself. This was false as the beds were made and new towels were put in the room. We eventually were refunded $40 but I did not get my make up back. I was very disappointed with how they treated us. Don't go here or if you do apparently you need to lock even your make up in the safe.

• Stayed: May 2014
4  Thank Kristen K
Reviewed 30 April 2014

We stayed at the Atlantic Beach Hotel for our son's wedding. We had booked a room for 2 nights. When we arrived they had us booked for only 1 night, which put my husband and I in a panic mode. We checked in 1 hour before the rehearsal dinner was scheduled and we needed to get ready. We told the woman at the desk we needed a room. No apology, no concern for our situation. She said someone made a mistake with the booking and they were full for the night. It wasn't until we told her that we were the parents of the groom that she made some effort to correct the error. She managed to move someone on a Groupon to one of their other properties and put us in a room. The room needed work, was very dated, didn't have any soap in the bathroom. The king size bed was comfortable. However, the pull out couch was horrendous. One of our grand kids was spending Saturday night with us and when we pulled out the sleeper sofa the mattress was not usable. Other than the great location, this hotel has nothing to offer.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank Denise916
Reviewed 19 February 2014

Rooms were clean and spacious .Beds were comfortable. Staff at the front desk were attentive and pleasant. Nice and quiet at night.
Location was close to everything we wanted to visit.
The breakfast was not that great, but had something for everyone. The reason for the four rating.
Yes, it is a little dated, but for the money, I can't imagine you would find a better deal in the area.
We will be staying again the next time we visit the area.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank stockpicker_10
Reviewed 21 January 2014

Hotel was ..meh. It was somewhat depressing, the guest book was completely out of date and nothing was accurate. We had a suite..the bedroom part was okay the other part was questionable and looked like a motel six. The breakfast was just ..bad.

The lady at the front desk gave us a great recommendation for dinner though..Anthony's Seafood.

I was scared to touch the couch..it looked awful.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 18 January 2014

It was right after Christmas and I wanted to getaway from everything and bring in the New Year (2014) alone. Wanted to do a solo rode trip not too far and affordable and ran up on this hotel via Groupon. Great deal! $49 a night and I stayed three. The hotel was right off the beach and the king suite was super big clean and I had an awesome view of the bay from my bed. The hotel is clean and conveniently located right outside of Newport. The bonus was the continental breakfast which included bacon,egg and cheese hot pockets or biscuit sandwiches. Nice location, close to everything and beautiful picturesque setting.

Room Tip: "Bay view second floor corner are large and sunny"