“Pleasantly Surprised”

Ranked #3 of 18 Hotels in Middletown
Boston, Massachusetts
“Pleasantly Surprised”
Reviewed 11 July 2014

My family and I were looking to stay in Newport for the Fourth of July, but because we booked late, there was not much available other than the Howard Johnson Inn. The few options that were available were outrageously priced. We had never stayed at a Howard Johnson before, and were rather unsure what to expect. The reviews on tripadvisor and like sites were all great, and my family and I must agree, our stay at the Hojo was wonderful. The "motel" is ideally located, a mere 10 minute drive to all the action on Thames Street. A Newport Creamery is diagonally across the street from the motel.

The rooms are spacious and clean for the price…truly a great value. Our room (a deluxe with 2 queen beds) featured a balcony and flatscreen TV. The bathroom is small, but useable. To my surprise, there were 2 sinks in the room: one located inside the bathroom, the other directly outside the bathroom. I found this incredibly strange, yet innovative. In all the hotels/motels I have stayed in, I have never seen 2 sinks arranged this way. Traveling with 2 kids, having a sink outside the bathroom proved ideal, as someone could brush his/her teeth while another was showering.

Also, I must mention my visit to the hotel's ("motel") indoor pool. It was clean, but the hot tub seemed like it could used to be scrubbed a little. When I took a dip on a rainy Friday afternoon, I found the pool occupied by a slew of small children and supervising mothers. Certainly not the quietest spot to relax, but when I visited the pool around the same time the following day (after visiting the beach), it was totally empty all for all but a sole man. The moral of the story: the weather will determine the hustle of the Hojo waters.

It is fair to say that Newport in general is pricey. The hotels that line the downtown area can easily go for over $500/night. I would recommend the Howard Johnson to anyone who is in need of a reasonably priced place to rest his/her head….you surely won't find any bedbugs here.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
HojoNewport, Front Office Manager at Howard Johnson Middletown Newport Area, responded to this review, 17 July 2014
Thank you for sharing your impressions with us. We're glad that you were able to take advantage of our location and really enjoy your time here in Newport. In addition, we truly appreciate you describing our property and location in such great detail. We hope you'll find your way back to the Howard Johnson Inn again in the near future.

Jennifer Joslyn, Front Office Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (128)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
New York, New York, United States
Reviewed 9 July 2014

We booked for the week of June 30 for 4 days (Sunday through Wednesday) without issue on the Wyndham site as usual. Its important to note and set expectations: This is a Howard Johnson and it may be a bit dated but it was clean, rate was very good and room nice sized especially the double bed rooms on the second floor. You are also close to Newport (five minute drive), Service was Very Good and adequate parking. Pool as well and the nice Welcome Basket with Famous Amos Cookies. Breakfast on the Go and Coffee are nice touches but keep in mid you will be waiting in line for a cup of coffee and apple / pre-packaged muffin. Best to avoid this in my opinion. You have loads of opinions for breakfast in the area ....

Check-in was fine (Abigail was just wonderful!) but the room assigned was on the ground floor and the sliding glass door opening right to the pathway was a security issue for me. We asked to be moved to the second floor. HoJo (Thanks Abigail!) was accommodating and did so but that room had a heavy smell of smoke and that was an issue. We we given a double bed room instead of a King as that was all that was available and that was fine. I tried using the room safe and it malfunctioned and I could not retrieve my articles at first. Maintenance came by immediately but could not reset the safe and we made plans to have him come back after we had a chance to get some food (driving in from NY since morning) since he needed to get the safe guide. Well, the maintenance person was busy and so it took me three hrs to open the unit and retrieve my valuables. I reported this to maintenance and we both agreed that the safe needed to be re-programmed and I was not going to use it in this condition. Again not an issue as I asked for a refund for the safe upon check out. We also inquired and booked an additional night stay that first night from the front desk without issue. The issue arose when we arrived back at HoJo on Wed evening a little before 7 pm and we could not get our electronic keys to work at the access door or to gain entrance to our room. We wasted the better part of 15 minutes trying and then we were waiting again at the Front Desk for someone to help us. we were in a rush to get to Touro Synagogue for 8 pm services but wasted at least 15 minutes waiting for someone to acknowledge us and look into the issue. It was related to our electronic door keys. When we mentioned we had plans to attend services at the synagogue, we should not have been asked "Oh which one?" but serviced at a better pace. By the time this was resolved, we missed the opportunity to get to services. We do realize that there was a family there ahead of us working with Abigail for a wedding party stay but there were also two other HoJo employees behind the counter that could have assisted us (they were not assisting guests). Unfortunately, this put quite a damper on our stay.

All in all, this is probably one of the best values in Middletown Rhode Island for a Newport stay.
Without the drama, it would definitely have gotten five stars ....

Room Tip: Definitely book the second floor but be advised, there is not an elevator. You will want to be towar...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Thank you for reaching out to us after your recent visit with us here in Newport and for sharing your kind recognition of one of our staff members. We will pass along your praises so she knows just how much her efforts were appreciated! I'd like to express my sincere apologies for the inconveniences that you experienced with our room keys malfunctioning. We truly regret to read that you encountered difficulties and we appreciate that you've brought these concerns to our attention. We do our best to make our guests' stay very welcoming and we will keep your comments in mind. We also regret if your experience did not reflect our typical high standards of customer service. We are honored that we had this opportunity to accommodate you and your family and we appreciate your very valuable feedback.

Newtown, Connecticut
Reviewed 7 July 2014

We stayed 5/27-5/30-good value for this hotel. Staff was very friendly and helpful. The rooms were clean and ready for us when we got there, and the little welcome basket with water and a snack was nice. We used the pool once during our stay, and I was sorry we didn't use it sooner.

The only disapointment was the "breakfast on the go". Coffee/tea, a pre-packaged muffin, or a apple or banana just isn't our idea of a good breakfast- especially when other hotels offer a continental breakfast with your stay.
Overall it was a good trip for us, and I would recommend this hotel.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Darlene,

Thank you for reviewing your stay at the Howard Johnson Inn. We highly value our guests and always want to ensure that we are meeting each and every one of our guest's needs. While we are saddened to learn that you were not overly impressed with our complimentary continental breakfast, your feedback will help us to improve the quality of our services. In the future we hope to be able to add and expand our offerings. Thank you for your kind words about our staff it gives us great pleasure to provide excellent service to our guests. We hope to welcome you again in the future.

Sammamish, Washington
Reviewed 4 July 2014

This hotel was a good value for the 4th of July week however I was disappointed. After reading the reviews I was expecting much better. The beds were very comfortable (not the chipped foam pillows) and the staff were very friendly and accommodating. But, the room had a bad smell, the carpet was damp as was the room. The pool was old, lots of rust on the stairway in the hot tub and it looked dirty so I didn't want to venture in. There was a small stain on the pillowcase and the sheet. The hotel is old and worn, with chipped paint, peeling wall paper and worn carpet. The bathroom was tiny with no counter space. The breakfast was an apple, a packaged muffin, juice, a banana or apple, coffee and nowhere to eat it.
Next time I would spend more and stay elsewhere.

Dear Audrey,

We cannot help but be disappointed to hear this was the impression you were left with after your stay with us. All your comments will be discussed with our staff so that we may reinforce the standards of service we expect to provide to our guests with special attention to room condition. We truly regret that we missed the opportunity to make your stay more enjoyable. Thank you for your time and feedback.

Epping, New Hampshire
Reviewed 3 July 2014

We stayed at the Howard Johnson Inn recently to visit family in the area and we could not have been more pleased. The staff is very friendly and accommodating and the room was one of the cleanest hotel rooms we have ever stayed in. The first night we were there the people in the room next to us were extremely noisy and kept us up until 2:00AM. The next day I went to the desk to see if another room was available and the staff quickly accommodated us and changed our room. They then checked with us a few times to make sure we were comfortable and happy. It was one of the best hotel experiences we have had in all ways. We would not hesitate to stay here again the next time we're in Rhode Island and they are pet friendly too so they just go out of their way to accommodate their guests in every way possible. We would rate them an A++++

Room Tip: We found the rooms on the second floor were quieter and the king size bed was quite comfortable.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
We are truly pleased that we had the opportunity to welcome you to the Howard Johnson Inn. Thank you for your kind and gracious comments as they have been well noted and will be shared with our team. Positive feedback, such as yours, is what motivates us to continue to provide the best possible service and we thank you for reaching out and sharing your most recent visit. We look forward to your return.

Mansfield Center, Connecticut
Reviewed 2 July 2014

My wife and I and our dog stayed at the Howard Johnson Newport Area Inn during the last weekend of June. The Newport Flower Show was taking place on this weekend so the area in and around Newport was bustling with large crowds from both Rhode Island and out of town locations. We were in the area to attend/participate in our son's wedding (Saturday) and wedding rehearsal (Friday). The staff at the hotel are very friendly and accommodating. I had asked for an early check-in and the staff at check in went the "extra mile" to find a pet friendly room that was ready for check-in before the 3:00 PM check-in time. About 30 minutes after we checked in, they called the room to make sure that we were happy with the room and its accommodations. Although the hotel was full the previous night, they still were able to have a room ready for me for early check-in (no extra charge). We had a pet sitter come in to take care of our dog while we were attending the wedding and its associated festivities and we left his information with the front desk .

The room size was more than adequate for my wife and I and our dog. Accommodations included: refrigerator, microwave, TV (not flat screen), dehumidifier, safe and wall mounted a/c. There was a sink outside the bathroom and the bathroom included a full sink inside also. We were not in the room that much except to sleep, but all the appliances we did use worked fine (TV, Micro, Refrigerator, Dehumidifier, and A/C). The room had 2 queen size beds, a desk and several chairs. All pet friendly rooms are on the ground floor and the building we were in had sliding doors leading to an outside sitting area (2 chairs outside) for all ground floor rooms. The beds were comfortable and we both got a good, full nights sleep. The hotel was very quiet despite the fact that it was fully occupied and we were in the pet friendly section. There is a large grassy area in back of the hotel to walk/exercise your dog. There is an Applebee's Restaurant directly in front of the hotel. A continental breakfast is available in the check-in area but we did not use it during our stay.

The only problem we encountered was with the room keys. Initially, they both worked fine. I left one with our pet sitter and it stopped working on Saturday (during the day). He went to the desk, they had his info so they re-programmed his key. Our key stopped working late Saturday evening. I phoned the pet sitter and he let my wife and I in to the hotel and our room. This was a minor problem but could have been much more annoying if we did not have a pet sitter in our room.

One other minor annoyance was the $1.00 daily charge for the room safe which we did not use. There is a $10.a day charge for a pet (dog). I would recommend this hotel to anyone travelling in the Newport, RI area whether or not they require a pet friendly room. We will definitely return for another stay during a fall weekend stay in Newport.

Room Tip: Rooms to the back of hotel have little if any road noise.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
Dear Dan,

Thank you for your beautiful review and for summing up an experience we hope each of our guests has while staying with us. Learning that you had a nearly perfect stay is such a wonderful compliment to us all. We would like to express our sincere appreciation for your kind recognition of our staff and their efforts and for taking the time to share your story with us. Please know that I have reviewed you comments concerning our safe fees and the problems you experienced with you rooms keys. Safe fees can be refunded to you at check out if you have not used the safe. I have refunded those fees to you and you should see a credit on your next credit card statement. I have forwarded your experience with the room keys to our chief engineer so that he may troubleshoot the issue. We hope you'll visit with us again soon at the Howard Johnson Inn, as it would be our pleasure to welcome you back.

Jennifer Joslyn,
Cheshire
Reviewed 1 July 2014

Stayed here recently after visiting the Newport mansions and exploring Newport's shops, etc. From the time we arrived to book a room (last minute) until the morning we left, the service was amazing! So friendly and accommodating to our needs. Even the cleaning people were happy and cordial! The pool/hot tub areas were impeccably clean, as were the rooms; beds very comfortable. When I got home, I realized I had left my watch in the room. I called the hotel, told them about it, and 5 days later it arrived in the mail, packed up beautifully. Thank you Howard Johnson!! I would return here in a flash!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Linda,

Thank you for sharing your feedback with us, as we couldn't be happier to learn that our team was able to make your experience here so memorable. We are always excited to learn when we can exceed our guests' expectations and your positive and glowing remarks are truly appreciated. We hope we'll have the pleasure to welcome you back to the Howard Johnson Inn in the near future.

Kind Reagrds,

Front Office Manager
Also consider these accommodations in or near Middletown
Homewood Suites by Hilton Newport Middletown
Hampton Inn & Suites Newport/Middletown
Newport Harbor Hotel & Marina
Mainstay Hotel & Conference Center
Quality Inn & Suites Middletown - Newport
Travelodge Middletown Newport Area

Been to Howard Johnson Middletown Newport Area? Share your experiences!