My family and I were looking to stay in Newport for the Fourth of July, but because we booked late, there was not much available other than the Howard Johnson Inn. The few options that were available were outrageously priced. We had never stayed at a Howard Johnson before, and were rather unsure what to expect. The reviews on tripadvisor and like sites were all great, and my family and I must agree, our stay at the Hojo was wonderful. The "motel" is ideally located, a mere 10 minute drive to all the action on Thames Street. A Newport Creamery is diagonally across the street from the motel.
The rooms are spacious and clean for the price…truly a great value. Our room (a deluxe with 2 queen beds) featured a balcony and flatscreen TV. The bathroom is small, but useable. To my surprise, there were 2 sinks in the room: one located inside the bathroom, the other directly outside the bathroom. I found this incredibly strange, yet innovative. In all the hotels/motels I have stayed in, I have never seen 2 sinks arranged this way. Traveling with 2 kids, having a sink outside the bathroom proved ideal, as someone could brush his/her teeth while another was showering.
Also, I must mention my visit to the hotel's ("motel") indoor pool. It was clean, but the hot tub seemed like it could used to be scrubbed a little. When I took a dip on a rainy Friday afternoon, I found the pool occupied by a slew of small children and supervising mothers. Certainly not the quietest spot to relax, but when I visited the pool around the same time the following day (after visiting the beach), it was totally empty all for all but a sole man. The moral of the story: the weather will determine the hustle of the Hojo waters.
It is fair to say that Newport in general is pricey. The hotels that line the downtown area can easily go for over $500/night. I would recommend the Howard Johnson to anyone who is in need of a reasonably priced place to rest his/her head….you surely won't find any bedbugs here.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Complimentary Deluxe Continental Breakfast, Indoor pool, whirlpool, sauna, fitness rm, business center, free HS Internet, Applebee's Restaurant attached, located 2 miles from downtown Newport, 1 mile from Newport Navy Base and corporate parks. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Priceline, Ebookers, Hotels.com, Evoline ltd, getaroom.com, HotelQuickly and Cancelon so you can book your Howard Johnson Middletown Newport Area reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Howard Johnson Inn - Newport Area / Middletown Hotel Middletown
- Howard Johnson Middletown
- Howard Johnson Newport Middletown
- Middletown Howard Johnson