“Learn the meaning of "Hospitality."”

Ramada Middletown Newport Area
Ranked #17 of 18 Hotels in Middletown
Milford, Massachusetts
“Learn the meaning of "Hospitality."”
Reviewed 21 January 2014

The definition of the word "Hospitality" is "the friendly reception and treatment of guests or strangers." It's synonymous with "warmth, cordiality, friendliness." Unfortunately, nothing about this Ramada delivers any friendliness, warmth or cordiality. These people work in the hospitality business and seem to not know or not care about actually being hospitable to their guests. In truth, when I first checked in, late on a Friday night, the kid at the front desk was friendly. The one and only friendly, outgoing, nice person that I met during my three night stay. And I never saw him again. The next day, I encountered two front desk "agents" who were rude, unfriendly and wouldn't even acknowledge my presence. The guy behind the desk stared at me, glaring, as if to say "Who the heck are you?" as I walked by twice. No "hello" or "how can I help you?" Nope. Just a angry stare, as if I better not bother him. When I did actually need some help, my key had stopped working, I approached the girl behind the desk but she was no friendlier. She barely said a word, was not pleasant or cordial at all, and didn't even help me, since the guy came over and did it for her. Neither of them attempted to actually engage me in friendly conversation. When I checked out, the woman behind the desk didn't even look up from her computer and barely took the time to say "Thanks." As for the rooms, they are barely average, at best. The floor by the bathroom squeaked loudly. The toilet had the loudest flush I have ever heard. The beds are acceptable, for cheap hotel beds, but not great. And the table in the room was so wobbly, I didn't even put anything on it, for fear it might tip over or fall apart. Which brings me back to the real point. If your rooms are crappy, the only way you are going to get people to come back is to give them an exceptional customer service experience. By being extra helpful and extra friendly and extra hospitable. You've gotta do something to rise about the mediocrity of your rooms and your on-site restaurant. Unfortunately, the staff here has no interest in that, and there is just too much far-better competition in the area. I won't be back to this place and couldn't recommend it to anyone else.

1 Thank RBarossi

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (62)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
West Barnstable, Massachusetts
Reviewed 14 January 2014

I lenthened my stay here because I found it comfortable, quiet and had an excellent bed. I slept deeply and really relaxed. I had a suite actually but paid for a room. One room had a couch, table, sink and cabinet, tv and the other a king bed, really comfy, a desk, chair large TV and for some reason a microwave and fridge which logically should have been in other room. Nice bath off living type room also with really good towels, a jacuzzi tub and space. Lightng throughout was good and for reading and computer. Entrance to hotel very large with well maintained marble floors. Continental breakfast had great coffee but food was mostly packaged stuff...need yogurt at least...but coffee wonderful! Clean throughout and I can see how well it would accomomdate large tour groups.
Desk sataff very helpful and friendly and welcoming. Sercvie staff also helpful. If I could get that room again for the same low price I would go back...a lovely break and got lots of needed rest.My only suggestion would be to put fridge/microwave next to sink and add a soft chair in its spot in bedroom..one that could be brought to desk for computer or drinks , coffee, chatting etc. and maybe a some prints in living room...rather boring decor there.

Room Tip: ask for a couch and fridge.
1 Thank tolle2005
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 13 January 2014

There are may negative reviews but I did NOT experience any of them. The staff was great. My room was great. The bathroom looks like it has been updated, The room did have older furniture but it was very clean. The coffee in the room was very good. My room had an LED flat screen TV with cable and HBO. It also had a microwave and refrigerator. The internet worked great for streaming Netflix movies to my IPAD and The free brekfeast was great. There was a such a vast variety of foods to choose from. I was there for two days and there was a morning paper outside my door both mornings. I left my phone in my room and when I got home I called. Laurel at the front desk and she went to UPS to send my phone back to me. My visit was very positive and I will be returning this summer.

Room Tip: Well I believe this hotel in under renovation because my room was great. (room 139). I was on the fi...
Inverness, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 November 2013

Having read a few bad reviews on this hotel after booking I was delighted to find the hotel was in a good location for most things we wanted to do and the room was clean but not the biggest we've stated in but it had a seperate area for our cloths and suitcase so they were not in the sleeping area. The staff were all friendly and helpful. The resturant was really good value and the food was really good. We were there for two nights and ate there both evenings. The only thing that I would say was not great was the breakfast room. The food was all we needed but the room was just a conferance room with no atmosphere.Would stay again if in the area.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Sandra C
Also consider these accommodations in or near Middletown
Travelodge Middletown Newport Area
Mainstay Hotel & Conference Center
Quality Inn & Suites Middletown - Newport
Hampton Inn & Suites Newport/Middletown
Holiday Inn Express Middletown / Newport
Homewood Suites by Hilton Newport Middletown

Been to Ramada Middletown Newport Area? Share your experiences!