“Loved the PVI”

Ranked #2 of 6 Hotels in Misquamicut
Boston
“Loved the PVI”
Reviewed 19 July 2008

Ok first of all, my family and I were looking for a place to accommodate 40 people for a family reunion reuniting families from Boston and New York. After months of planning we found the PVI thru web searching. We read reviews and were skeptical on staying here. Well, thank god we decided to take a chance. Three generations brought together and we had the time of our lives. Yes, the rooms are small and outdated, but we were in our rooms only to sleep. The beach is clean, beautiful and the most lulling sound to fall asleep to. The lounge area with lounge chairs was perfect for my family who totally took over the place. We were allowed to bring coolers and so we brought as much as we could. For three major meals we ate at the restaurant on site which we loved. The PV frittes are to die for. We also had a dinner a little ways down the beach at the Atlantic which was tasty, yet pricey. The beds were comfy and all you need to do in your room is sleep especially if the weather is nice. We spent nights hanging out and talking on site at either the bar or in front at our beach front porches. THe pool was clean yet a little too warm for me. My 10month old son loved it, along with the beach shower and foot washes throughout the inn. Seems as all the kids loved those. My family is going to start a tradition and go back year after year. THANK YOU PVI for such a wonderful vacation......

Stayed July 2008

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (106)
New York
Reviewed 28 April 2008

While I am by no means a travel expert, I have been all across the US, Europe, Mexico & the Caribbean. I stayed in Sept. 07 after the rates had dropped and I have to say that my trip was wonderful. The hotel seemed to be less crowded (since kids were probably back in school) and the staff seemed to be relaxed and happy.

What others have said about the rooms are true. They are small and dated yet very, very clean. However, I didn't stay here for the room (which had a hard queen bed). I stayed here for the view and the location which can't be beat. Waking up everyday to the sound and view of the ocean was beautiful and quite relaxing.

The restaurant was very good. While the food was a bit pricey (everything seemed to cost extra), everything was cooked to my liking, was tasty and the service was fantastic. I can't comment on the bar as I do not drink.

I think where this hotel shines is the front desk staff. Anytime I went down there everyone was always smiling and willing to help. Specifically, there was a gentleman who worked there named Andrew who went above and beyond anyone else. Anytime I had a question he was always ready to answer and would search to find out if he didn't know. In addition, he even offered to go online for me to find restaurant recommendations for Newport as well as print out my boarding pass & check me in online for my flight. I found myself going to the front desk more than once a day just to talk to him because he was always happy and making people laugh (as well as me).

I made it known on the comment card how great my stay was and I can't wait to return this year. Book early for an oceanfront because they book up fast!

• Liked — Front Desk
  • Disliked — Dated Rooms
  • Stayed September 2007, travelled solo
Connecticut
Reviewed 24 April 2008

This is one of those places that are such a contradiction. I wanted so much for a room that I could sit and read while my husband took the kids to the beach. I actually almost cried when I saw the room. I insisted that we leave, bumped into a couple at the desk who were also trying to check out, but told they could not get a refund. I was finally on vacation with 3 kids and my room was the smallest I had every seen with 2 double beds almost side by side. The bathroom was moldy, the furniture was old and the bathroom door was broken. Come to think of it now, I think I did cry a little but then we put the kids in bathing suits and went out. THANK GOD the weather was perfect. The beach is wonderful, the pool was crowded but the kids had fun. The restaurant area was okay. Everything outside the room was great. We actually liked the atmosphere until we had to go to our room. We made the best of it and we did have fun because the kids didn't care about the room. It looks like a lot of people come back every year and as someone else said, they don't have to fix it because they still rent rooms. It is kind of sad because if the rooms were pristine, I wouldn't care if they were small. I just want to feel like I am on vacation WHEN I am on vacation. I don't want to feel like I need to clean. There is a restaurant on the beach a little ways down that was incredible. The area is fun, the restaurants are good, just put your money elsewhere in regards to sleeping quarters.

• Liked — beach
  • Disliked — room
  • Stayed July 2003, travelled with family
1 Thank Bogus52
Albany, NY
Reviewed 6 October 2007

We stayed at the Pleasant View Inn September 28, 29, 2007. We were lucky enough to have unusally warm weather that weekend and we enjoyed the beach and outdoor lounge area and their wonderful drink specials. The location of this inn is absolutely beautiful, which offset our disappointment with the room. Our room, which had an ocean view was fair. The rooms do need to be updated. The furnature was shabby and the bed too soft. Also, a nightstand, with an alarm clock would have been a nice touch. I must say though, the room and the bathroom were very clean. The food was very good, but pricey. The staff at the desk were more than accomodating and helpful. Because of the location and cleanliness, I would probably stay there again. Although I must say that I would feel like I got what I paid for if the room was more up to date.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Shabby Rooms
  • Stayed September 2007, travelled with family
New York
Reviewed 25 September 2007

While I am not the kind of person to wish misfortune on anyone, this place is in desperate need of a hurricane if only to force the owners to renovate, because they are obviously not going to do anything on their own. And why should they: This place continues to draw familiies year after year who are willing to pay top dollar to spend a week in extremely small, spartan rooms with worn carpets, stained bedcovers, and garage sale furnishings worthy of a dumpster.

The big draw to the PVI is the private beach and the ocean and the relaxing pool area, above average food, and a lively bar that attracts both guests and locals late into the evening. If tiny, depressing, and outrageously expensive rooms are not an issue, then you will probably enjoy your stay, and might even return again and again.

• Stayed July 2007, travelled with family
Laval
Reviewed 21 August 2007

We reserved there because of what we saw on their website. The outside looks like in the pictures. But the inside... We rented a superieur ocean view room. On the way to our room on the 3rd floor, walls were dirty (dripping all over), carpets were humid, dirty and full of sand. Then we went into the room. Small. No chair. Other furniture was old and broken. Bathroom needs renovation. Shower curtain disgusting. But view from the balcony was beautiful. Beach was very crowed. Many young loud people. You don't go there for tranquility. Pool is too small for the number of people there; pool water had a "funny" look at the end of the day. We rented for a week. We stayed on night, paid the early departure fees (100$) and went to Cape Cod the next morning. There, we meet a Rhode Islands resident vacationning in Cape Code. She told us that Misquamicut beach is the worst place for vacations in RI but that were beautiful places like Newport.
AD, Laval, Quebec, Canada

• Liked — View
  • Disliked — Room
  • Stayed August 2007, travelled with family
1 Thank Lavallois
Wallingford, CT
Reviewed 3 August 2007

We've been staying at the Pleasant View Inn every summer for seven years, but, sadly, this stay will probably be our last.

As others have commented, the hotel has a run-down look overall. Our room was clean, but the furniture was badly scarred, the toilet seat was cracked, etc. The hallways in our wing were dark, so dark that you had to squint to see the room numbers. One individual commented that every other light fixture was empty. It's true! I understand that energy costs are enormous for a hotel of this size, but perhaps they could install flourescent bulbs and at least have every overhead fixture on. Between the dark carpets, dark wood trim and minimal lighting, the effect in the hallways was creepy.

To echo the comments of another writer, the prices in the restaurants have become outrageous. Typical examples:

Bagel with cream cheese: $5
Tomato and mozzarella salad: $12
Small cup of lobster bisque: $10

At the bar, I ordered a black Russian and a pina colada. The total tab was $15.

Food quality doesn't match the price. Someone neglected to properly de-bone the chicken in my wife's chicken salad. My daughter's breakfast pancakes were undercooked (after waiting 20 minutes for them) and had to be sent back.

The staff has always been very friendly and the views (and the beach) are magnificent.

I'll keep watching the Pleasant View Inn reviews on Tripadvisor and hope that perhaps conditions will change. Our family has many fond memories of this little resort, but escalating costs and declining conditions have finally pushed us past the point of no return--literally. If the property improves, we'll probably come back.

• Liked — Excellent beach and views
  • Disliked — Run down. Overpriced food.
  • Stayed August 2007, travelled with family
6 Thank Sparky1954
Also consider these accommodations in or near Misquamicut
Sandy Shore Motel
#5 of 13 in Mystic
The Break
The Break
#1 of 8 in Narragansett

Been to Pleasant View Inn? Share your experiences!