“great BEACHY place”
Review of Pleasant View Inn

Pleasant View Inn
Ranked #2 of 6 Hotels in Misquamicut
Reviewed 4 September 2008

I was very pleasantly surprised after reading some of the less then rave reviews on here. I was traveling with my 6 year old daughter, last minute trip, only wanted beach front. (I am also VERY picky usually - but I needed a place fast). I called the Inn directly (all the websites said they were 100% booked), since we were booking in the same week, and they had some cancellations, we got a great deal. We wanted to stay 2 nights - the front desk told me we would have to change rooms for the 2nd night. ok - fine. Once we got there, we immediately got into our room ( hours early I might add with no call ahead) - had a nice beach front with a balcony room. It was a small room, the furniture was dark and dated, the bathroom tiny - no outlets in the bathroom - BUT, the place was VERY VERY clean, tons of towels, comfy beds, guests were quiet even though the place was packed. The restaurant was very good ( long wait for the food though) - the bar was really good - loved all the food and the breakfast was amazing, and very reasonably priced. Great very warm clean pool that my daughter and her friends loved.
After the first night - we were suppose to get moved to a NON beach front - which did not make us happy, but we know this was the deal. The front desk said "lets see if we can get you something better then this" and sent us to a BEACH FRONT room ( just a little smaller then the first one) , for a lower price then the first night - ok, it had no balcony per se, but you could walk out the door and sit right there facing the beach.
The staff was so helpful, when I was stressing about trying to move all our stuff into second room ( we were going to be out all day) the woman at the front desk said " no worries - housekeeping will move you, just have it all packed"....
and that was that - check out was painless as well -
I wish I had taken some room photos -- really - they are not bad - just remember that this is a BEACH FRONT hotel - it's very beachy - it's NOT the Ritz, but it is very well run, great helpful staff and so so clean. The beach is PERFECT PERFECT - but bring chairs, they don't rent them out.
It's dated, the rooms are small, the hallways dark - but it's a great safe place - we walked to some restaurants and shopping late in the evening and felt 100% at ease (with a 6 year old).
We are already making plans for a return trip for july 2009.

• Stayed: August 2008
1  Thank Jean0513

Reviewed 25 August 2008

From staying at other hotels in the area, we knew not to expect too much. We were there for the beach and the swimming. When we found ourselves surrounded by jellyfish, we decided to bail - calling it quits after 2 nights. I let them keep the third night because it was obvious they had no intention of compensating us for our disappointment. The jellyfish were no surprise to the front desk. I'd like to know why no one mentioned it and there were no signs. The same goes for every other hotel on the beach.

Because this was last minute, I agreed to a "partial ocean view" - more like partial *restauraunt* view. Sure we could see the ocean if we didn't mind the awkwardness of sitting there looking at people eating breakfast, lunch or dinner. We were also next to the arcade and entrance to dining on the other side. Another reason for bailing was lack of sleep due to all the noise.

• Stayed: August 2008, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 19 July 2008

Ok first of all, my family and I were looking for a place to accommodate 40 people for a family reunion reuniting families from Boston and New York. After months of planning we found the PVI thru web searching. We read reviews and were skeptical on staying here. Well, thank god we decided to take a chance. Three generations brought together and we had the time of our lives. Yes, the rooms are small and outdated, but we were in our rooms only to sleep. The beach is clean, beautiful and the most lulling sound to fall asleep to. The lounge area with lounge chairs was perfect for my family who totally took over the place. We were allowed to bring coolers and so we brought as much as we could. For three major meals we ate at the restaurant on site which we loved. The PV frittes are to die for. We also had a dinner a little ways down the beach at the Atlantic which was tasty, yet pricey. The beds were comfy and all you need to do in your room is sleep especially if the weather is nice. We spent nights hanging out and talking on site at either the bar or in front at our beach front porches. THe pool was clean yet a little too warm for me. My 10month old son loved it, along with the beach shower and foot washes throughout the inn. Seems as all the kids loved those. My family is going to start a tradition and go back year after year. THANK YOU PVI for such a wonderful vacation......

Stayed: July 2008
Reviewed 28 April 2008

While I am by no means a travel expert, I have been all across the US, Europe, Mexico & the Caribbean. I stayed in Sept. 07 after the rates had dropped and I have to say that my trip was wonderful. The hotel seemed to be less crowded (since kids were probably back in school) and the staff seemed to be relaxed and happy.

What others have said about the rooms are true. They are small and dated yet very, very clean. However, I didn't stay here for the room (which had a hard queen bed). I stayed here for the view and the location which can't be beat. Waking up everyday to the sound and view of the ocean was beautiful and quite relaxing.

The restaurant was very good. While the food was a bit pricey (everything seemed to cost extra), everything was cooked to my liking, was tasty and the service was fantastic. I can't comment on the bar as I do not drink.

I think where this hotel shines is the front desk staff. Anytime I went down there everyone was always smiling and willing to help. Specifically, there was a gentleman who worked there named Andrew who went above and beyond anyone else. Anytime I had a question he was always ready to answer and would search to find out if he didn't know. In addition, he even offered to go online for me to find restaurant recommendations for Newport as well as print out my boarding pass & check me in online for my flight. I found myself going to the front desk more than once a day just to talk to him because he was always happy and making people laugh (as well as me).

I made it known on the comment card how great my stay was and I can't wait to return this year. Book early for an oceanfront because they book up fast!

• Stayed: September 2007, travelled solo
Reviewed 24 April 2008

This is one of those places that are such a contradiction. I wanted so much for a room that I could sit and read while my husband took the kids to the beach. I actually almost cried when I saw the room. I insisted that we leave, bumped into a couple at the desk who were also trying to check out, but told they could not get a refund. I was finally on vacation with 3 kids and my room was the smallest I had every seen with 2 double beds almost side by side. The bathroom was moldy, the furniture was old and the bathroom door was broken. Come to think of it now, I think I did cry a little but then we put the kids in bathing suits and went out. THANK GOD the weather was perfect. The beach is wonderful, the pool was crowded but the kids had fun. The restaurant area was okay. Everything outside the room was great. We actually liked the atmosphere until we had to go to our room. We made the best of it and we did have fun because the kids didn't care about the room. It looks like a lot of people come back every year and as someone else said, they don't have to fix it because they still rent rooms. It is kind of sad because if the rooms were pristine, I wouldn't care if they were small. I just want to feel like I am on vacation WHEN I am on vacation. I don't want to feel like I need to clean. There is a restaurant on the beach a little ways down that was incredible. The area is fun, the restaurants are good, just put your money elsewhere in regards to sleeping quarters.

• Stayed: July 2003, travelled with family
1  Thank Bogus52
Reviewed 6 October 2007

We stayed at the Pleasant View Inn September 28, 29, 2007. We were lucky enough to have unusally warm weather that weekend and we enjoyed the beach and outdoor lounge area and their wonderful drink specials. The location of this inn is absolutely beautiful, which offset our disappointment with the room. Our room, which had an ocean view was fair. The rooms do need to be updated. The furnature was shabby and the bed too soft. Also, a nightstand, with an alarm clock would have been a nice touch. I must say though, the room and the bathroom were very clean. The food was very good, but pricey. The staff at the desk were more than accomodating and helpful. Because of the location and cleanliness, I would probably stay there again. Although I must say that I would feel like I got what I paid for if the room was more up to date.

• Stayed: September 2007, travelled with family
Reviewed 25 September 2007

While I am not the kind of person to wish misfortune on anyone, this place is in desperate need of a hurricane if only to force the owners to renovate, because they are obviously not going to do anything on their own. And why should they: This place continues to draw familiies year after year who are willing to pay top dollar to spend a week in extremely small, spartan rooms with worn carpets, stained bedcovers, and garage sale furnishings worthy of a dumpster.

The big draw to the PVI is the private beach and the ocean and the relaxing pool area, above average food, and a lively bar that attracts both guests and locals late into the evening. If tiny, depressing, and outrageously expensive rooms are not an issue, then you will probably enjoy your stay, and might even return again and again.

• Stayed: July 2007, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
Also consider these accommodations in or near Misquamicut
Sandy Shore Motel
Hampton Inn South Kingstown - Newport Area
Hilton Mystic
Hilton Mystic
#4 of 13 in Mystic

Been to Pleasant View Inn? Share your experiences!