“Decent, but expected a bit more for the price”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of Pleasant View Inn

Pleasant View Inn
Ranked #2 of 6 Hotels in Misquamicut
Arlington, MA
“Decent, but expected a bit more for the price”
Reviewed 26 May 2014

I've never stayed at the PV Inn before, and sprang for an oceanview room. I know that you're really paying for the view, but I would have been happier if we'd been an upper floor. (Tip: if you want an oceanview room, ask to be anywhere but the first floor. While we could see the ocean in the distance, there's a slight hill in front of the first floor balconies, so that your immediate view is of beach chairs and the rocks in front of them.) I'm not a picky traveller and understand that the PV Inn has a more laid-back vibe than other places, but I expected more for what I paid.

Wi-fi: sure, there's wi-fi...in the lobby. Spotty to non-existent in the rooms. There are two desktops in the lobby for guest use, but only one seemed to be working over the weekend. Wi-fi shouldn't be listed as a room amenity when it's unreliable, IMO. Other people were in the lobby using their laptops so I know this wasn't unique to me.

Bathroom: I'm not sure that soap and a small bottle of shampoo qualifies as an "amenity" when this is pretty much standard. The shower liner inexplicably just grazed the lip of the tub. The floor got drenched when my husband took a shower on our first morning. I had to keep adjusting the liner when using the shower to be sure that the same thing didn't happen today.

Bedroom: I know the PV Inn just had a renovation, but I'm surprised at some of the things that slipped by, like the shower liner mentioned above. We were given two room keys, but only one worked. We got locked out of our room and the maintenance person had to let us into our room (to the inn's credit, this was handled quickly)...but we only had one working key for the weekend. Not sure why the PV Inn didn't switch to key cards. Also, one of the outlets by the bed wasn't working.

The walls are thin and I was woken up each morning at 6:45 am by the person next door when s/he turned on the TV. Even with earplugs in, it was too distracting to get back to sleep. Their TV was on the other side of the wall as our headboard. (Similarly, I regularly heard kids running down the hallway on our floor and the floor above, but realize that that's not the inn's fault.) Speaking of the bed, while it wasn't flush up against the wall, whoever slept on that side had to walk sideways and hug the wall. There wasn't enough room to get out of bed comfortably.

Common areas: I've worked in housekeeping before, and part of my job was to regularly go through the same areas and tidy when need be. One morning I was up and about at 7, and surprised at the lobby bathroom (which needs a serious upgrade). I was surprised when I used it again today. I'm not sure when the cleaning crew comes on duty, but the trash bins were full, there were paper towels and sand on the floor. Likewise, when I walked through the lobby at times I'd notice a bit of a mess at the coffee station, a candy wrapper on the lobby floor, etc. I was surprised as our room was clean. I thought they could have done a better, ongoing job with the common areas.

Now, on to what was good: we ate one evening at the restaurant and the food was amazing! The staff were friendly and attentive. Our room was cute and I liked the decor, despite my misgivings about the other things. The hotel staff likewise were friendly and accessible.

I didn't use the pool but heard it was nice and warm.

You can't beat the view or beach access and that's really what you're paying for! That and the restaurant were the best parts of the stay. The bed was comfy and I wish I was able to have a better night of sleep! I think part of the problem was - and I'll take the blame for this - I was so focused on finding a place on the water that I didn't think about whether this would be the best place for my husband and I, staying as a couple, without kids. I think if you're here as part of a family or group, the PV Inn is probably going to be a better fit.

Room Tip: When requesting an oceanfront room, as for rooms on at least the second floor or higher.
Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
4 Thank WendyJG
Alison S, General Manager at Pleasant View Inn, responded to this review, 29 May 2014
I appreciate you taking the time out of your day to review our hotel. As you had mentioned, the ocean view would vary depending on the floor that you are staying on. We are actually in the process of making the first floor rooms more descriptive to distain from over promising on a specific view. I am happy that you were able to make it during our first week of opening, although being that it was the first week, we were muscling through a few kinks after undergoing a major redecoration project. There were many items on our list to improve on over the winter, however, we chose to first redecorate all of our rooms and the pool as these seemed to be the most sought after. Prior to the redecoration, the bathrooms did not have shampoo, soap, or hair dryers, so adding these items was a big improvement for the guests who have been coming here for 20 plus years! Our redecoration project will take place over the course of a few years, in which we will update our lobby bathrooms and front desk, improve WiFi, and update our keys to electronic entry. Comments and suggestions such as yours help to improve our guests over all experience, so I thank you for bringing everything to my attention and will certainly share this review with my team! I hope that you give us one more chance, and in doing so, contact me directly before making your reservation. Have a nice day!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (103)
Greenwich, Connecticut
Reviewed 18 May 2014

I just finished a family outing for a weekend that included about 30 people. We had over a dozen rooms and every one of them was beautiful - the views from here are stunning. If you want to fall asleep and awaken to the sound of the waves, this is your place.
We also had a sit down dinner for 21 people on Saturday night. They gave us a private room at no extra cost and all of us ordered from the regular menu. Their second night opened for the season and that many people ordering at once left plenty of room for potential issues and there was not a single problem. The food was terrific; the service was impeccable (and my family can be a handful) . I had dealt with Brad, the director of dining services, ahead of time and he was really nice and seemed to really care that everything went well and that we had a great time.
Every one here from the bar tenders to management were good at their jobs and genuinely cared that we were happy and well served.
Two things to be aware of - there are no phones, clocks or coffee makers in the rooms. They do have fridges in the rooms with freezers that work. Not a big deal but good to know ahead of time.

Room Tip: All the rooms we had were oceanfront and they were stunning.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
6 Thank Elizabeth M
Alison S, General Manager at Pleasant View Inn, responded to this review, 19 May 2014
Thank you for sharing your experience with us- I am so glad that you had a great time. It was a pleasure speaking with you over the winter, and prior to our opening to plan for this event. I will be sure to share your great comments with my team! It is also good to hear that you enjoyed the newly redecorated rooms. We will continue to improve and update each area of our hotel over the course of a few years- we value our guest’s feedback, so thank you for your comments! We hope you will visit us again very soon!
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 16 May 2014

I stayed here last year on a recommendation from a co-worker. The day I picked was the middle of summer and it was on the day the hotel was sold to new owners. The location was great. It was right on the beach with a private balcony. It has a restaurant serving breakfast lunch and dinner and I enjoyed all the meals - I think I gained 5 pounds. Although the rooms were clean - they were very dated maybe out of the late 80's or early 90's. When I expressed my disappointment about the rooms to the General Manager who checked me out (that alone was impressive. I never expected to see the 'Big Cheese" behind a front desk) She told me that the hotel was just sold and the new owners were going through a major guest room redecoration over the winter. I decided to give the place another chance and booked my room on the first day they opened for the season. I was NOT disappointed. The rooms are awesome!! Bright, modern and clean. The night stand lamps even had outlets for my IPhone. Each room now has a refrigerator, a safe and a large tv mounted on the wall. The employees of the hotel seemed just as excited about the new look and couldn't wait to discuss all the work that had been done over the winter. My family and I had another great meal in the restaurant - I recommend the caramel sorbet for dessert. Great Job - I will be back

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank ColdRumble
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us. I am happy that you gave us another chance and were able to come on opening weekend to see the newly decorated rooms! We really took suggestions from our guests on what improvements they wanted to see, and the rooms were on the top of the list! It is great to hear that the staff was friendly and you that you enjoyed your meal- I will be sure to share this with my team. I hope you will visit again before the 2014 season is over, and again, thank you for your positive feedback!
Middletown, Connecticut
Reviewed 21 December 2013

I have been going to the pleasant for many years. Although it might need a bit of update it is the greatest place to stay. I have brought my seven grandchildren there and they all loved staying there. Now I bring some of them because they are all grown up and working and can not get so many days in a row off. I know bring the ones that can go plus my great grandson who is seven. He loves it there and knows everyone. The pool is also a plus and the staff is great. We will be booking our reservation for July once we know our dates. We are looking forward to another great vacation at The Pleasant and hope to see Stanton there although sold. Joanne Thrasher

Room Tip: If you have a lot of children you might want to choose the bigger room in th back facing the Parking...
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
4 Thank Kayla829
staciamiele, Manager at Pleasant View Inn, responded to this review, 16 January 2014
Dear Joanne,
We're glad to hear you and your grandchildren enjoyed your vacation and that you continue to make wonderful memories at Pleasant View Inn. It's very nice to hear you refer to our hotel as "the greatest place to stay". You will be happy to know that the hotel is currently undergoing renovations. We cannot wait to show you the improvements during your upcoming stay in July. Thank you again for your kind words. Safe travels.
LaGrangeville, New York
Reviewed 23 November 2013

Once we discovered this place, we never go anywhere else while vacationing is Rhode Island. Get an ocean front room....well worth the extra cost. While not the fanciest place, we always enjoy our stay. The walk out the back door to the beach is wonderful and the cut through from the beach to the pool is great. We haven't been there since the new ownership but hope to visit next summer. We have been going there for at least 20 years. It's not about the hotel.....it's always about the beach for me.

Room Tip: book an ocean front room on 2nd or 3rd floor. Warning - walk up....no elevators
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Marianne M
Alison S, General Manager at Pleasant View Inn, responded to this review, 19 December 2013
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us. It is always nice to hear guests who have been coming for several years and I hope that you will be able to visit again this coming season! I’m glad you enjoy our beach, and with the upcoming improvements for next season, I am sure you will also enjoy the remodeled rooms. I invite you to “like” our Pleasant View Inn Facebook to keep up to date with the improvements as we will be posting every step of the way! Again, I thank you for taking the time to write a nice review of our hotel, and look forward to your visit in 2014!
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 12 October 2013 via mobile

The location is nice but don't come here if you expectations are for a three stars hotel...it looks old and not very clean. It has also a bad smell and air conditioning is noise. On the other hand it has a really nice view. Pleased we booked only for one night

Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Francesca843
Pleasantview I, General Manager at Pleasant View Inn, responded to this review, 19 October 2013
Thank you so much for taking the time to review our hotel. We value feedback such as yours and I am happy to tell you that the property will be remodeling the rooms and corridors for next season! The hotel was recently sold at the end of July to Linchris Hotel Corporation, and although the previous owners did a great job (especially restoring the hotel after the hurricane!) we were aware that the property needed some updating. I hope that you give us another chance to make your stay more enjoyable next season. I invite you to “like” our Pleasant View Inn Facebook page so that you can stay updated on the new improvements as I will be posting pictures all winter long! Again, thank you for sharing your experience with us.
Montreal, Canada
Reviewed 5 October 2013

Our third time here and while it was great again, we noticed it was not as great as last year. Possibly because of new owners? All the wait staff appeared new, and while efficient, they were not as outgoing as last year. It 's the details that make a place great and not average. The cleaning, while passable was not up to par with last year.And one morning we ran down for coffee in the lobby and left up the Do Not Disturb sign on our door. When we returned the maid was cleaning our room and we had to wait outside for 15 minutes for her to finish. It seems she was in a hurry to finish, but should not have gone in when clearly the sign said not to.
The food was wonderful and very good value.

Room Tip: Get an oceanfront room with a balcony on second or third floor. After all,you came for the ocean, no...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank cowboycody
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us. I am glad to hear that you are a frequent visitor and enjoyed the food! I do apologize that the room attendant failed to see the “Do Not Disturb” sign on your door and I hope that you reached out to the front desk so that we could have rectified the situation. The property was sold in late July to Linchris Hotel Corporation, I invite you to visit their website so that you can learn more about our company. I want to reassure you that there was not any new staff, it has been a great pleasure to work with the staff that was in place as they are truly hard working employees. Next season, you will be seeing the same faces as well! I hope you will be visiting again next year!
Also consider these accommodations in or near Misquamicut
Sandy Shore Motel
The Whaler's Inn
The Whaler's Inn
#2 of 13 in Mystic
La Quinta Inn & Suites Stonington

Been to Pleasant View Inn? Share your experiences!