“Wonderful beach hotel”

Ranked #2 of 6 Hotels in Misquamicut
Meriden, Connecticut
“Wonderful beach hotel”
Reviewed 17 June 2014

Stayed here one night with my 6 year old son. The room was much nicer than expected. You can tell it was just remodeled and it has a modern yet beach feel to it. We had a pool view room, which had 2 double beds and a mini fridge which really came in handy. The pool water was very cold ( but listed as heated on their website) the food for the restaurant was very good, my reason for a star missing was the service. Service at both dinner and breakfast was very slow. At dinner: one person sat us, another person brought us water, another person brought us silverware/placemat, another person took our drink order. And finally we were brought menus. Then trying to place the order/ get the check took forever. Same thing happened at breakfast. Bartender however (Sue?) was extremely fast and friendly and even helped me carry drinks to the pool. The beach area was very nice and not far from my room. There is no elevator so if you come with a lot of bags, or are older I suggest requesting a first floor room. Hotel is walking distance to other area restaurants (Paddy's, Anthony's, mermaid cafe, the Andrea) The only other thing that stood out to me was the amount of drunk people in and around the hotel. Now I'm no stranger to drunk people working in a bar, however these people were really really drunk! I've never been to westerly before but I travel to Newport every other weekend and I've never seen people so drunk in public before. The only reason I mention it was because I was traveling with my young son. I would definitely return to the hotel though. The staff was friendly and the room and location can't be beat. Give them a try!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank Brittney B

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (107)
Windham, New Hampshire
Reviewed 15 June 2014

We stayed two nights at Pleasant View and it was awesome! Treated us like VIPs - paying attention to every detail. Food was FABULOUS! - beautiful ocean view while you ate - we ate all our meals at the hotel, it was that good! The staff, especially Brad, were so dedicated to making your experience the best it could be. Quinton was full of history he loved to share. The rooms were newly renovated and very peaceful. We slept with our door open and heard the calming ocean as we drifted off to sleep on a great mattress. Woke up and looked outside and "Oh Wow" was my reaction - the sun shining off the rocks was beautiful. Saw tall ships sailing by which was cool - we took so many pictures to show how beautiful it was. We had a wonderful time and would definitely go back.

Room Tip: Definitely try to get ocean view - it's so worth it!
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank Donna D
Alison S, General Manager at Pleasant View Inn, responded to this review, 24 June 2014
Thank you for sharing your experience with us. It is great to hear that the staff went over and beyond to accommodate you! I will certainly be sharing your feedback with my team. I’m glad you enjoyed all of your meals at our restaurant, and yes, you cannot beat having an ocean view while dining or in the rooms! I hope that you will visit in the near future, and again, thank you for your review!
Medway, Massachusetts
Reviewed 13 June 2014

My husband and I had a little get away last weekend at this hotel. It is quite beautiful and right on the beach! I remember it before and have to say this is a gorgeous renovation. We arrived early and the room wasn't ready so we had a delicious lunch with an ocean view that was very reasonably priced. We did get to check in quite soon after that and were very pleased with the newness of the room. Bright & clean with a deck and an ocean view.
The outdoor pool was also refreshing in the later afternoon. Later on that evening we had a fabulous dinner with a good wine menu. The great thing with this hotel is you can walk along the main road and hit the town. Lots of things to do for adults and kids. We will be back!

Room Tip: Ask for ocean view!
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
5 Thank annabella262
RI, United States
Reviewed 1 June 2014

My husband and I were looking for a beachfront weekend getaway to relax for a couple of days over the Memorial Day weekend. We were able to book an oceanfront room on the 3rd floor. Newly renovated with nice beds and furnishings; it was fantastic. You can spend much more in other area accommodations, but we found the Pleasant View Inn to have warm, friendly staff that are eager to please and engage in conversation. Also impressive, is how the staff speaks highly of the new owners and management. This is a small Inn, however, it has a dining room serving 3 meals a day, a heated pool and a beachfront location. We enjoyed dinner both evenings in the dining room with well prepared entries and attentive service. As the summer shifts into high gear, it will be a very busy local; and as such we thoroughly enjoyed the quieter visit we experienced before the official start of summer in a lovely beach front location. The beachfront room is well worth the price differential. We are looking forward to returning. Be sure to take a short drive (under 10 minutes) into Watch Hill and enjoy the shops on Bay Street and lunch at the Olympia Tea Room. The veranda at Ocean House is also a great location for lunch on a warm day.

Room Tip: Ocean front
4 Thank OceanStategirl
Alison S, General Manager at Pleasant View Inn, responded to this review, 7 June 2014
Thank you for sharing your experience with us- I am so happy that you had an enjoyable time here! It is always great to hear that the staff is “eager to please” and “friendly”, I will be sure to share this with my team! It’s also good to hear that they had nice things to say about the new owners and manager, I’m actually the lucky one! I’m glad that you enjoyed your meals both evenings in our restaurant, our Chef works hard to please all of our guests. And yes you are right, it does get very busy in the middle of summer, but if you’re looking for another quieter visit come back in September when the weather is still nice! Again, thank you for your kind comments!
Reviewed 31 May 2014

It's not TRUMP ... so get that out of your head at the outset. For a family area this hotel is slightly above average. I would really rather give it a 3.5, but that is not possible with this rating service. You may want to see my wife's review as well.

We had read the reviews for this hotel prior to going, so we were forewarned. The hotel is under new management, and they are making an effort to upgrade the accommodations. The room we had ... upper floor, ocean-view ... was better than we had expected, but a bit pricey for the end result. The redecorating was tastefully done. Almost everything was brand new since it had just been done late winter/very early Spring.

The place was CLEAN and INVITING.
New mini refrigerator, NO microwave. You could probably get one in the room if you wanted one.
Storage was minimal, as would be expected. Don't bring a lot of stuff to hang.
The bathroom was brand/spanking new except for the vent fan. It was obvious that it was broken from the sound it made when we turned it on. We let them know at the front desk when we checked out. The bathroom door needed a lot of urging to close and lock. (When they redid the rooms someone did not bother to make sure that the doors were put back in the same room they came from).

The bed was comfortable and tastefully made up. We are fussy here as we are old and crotchety. Plenty of pillows.

The "private" balcony was small, but warm and pleasant in spite of cold Spring wind. It afforded us a SPECTACULAR view of the Block Island Sound. Since the hotel faces South, the sun rose to our left and set to our right. Perfect for sitting and enjoying the view, without the sun in your eyes.

The dining room offers a sizable, but limited menu. You have to remember, this is a hotel restaurant, not a diner. The prices are $$ - $$$. The wait personnel are warm, friendly and prompt. If you get Erica, you will not be disappointed.

The main courses were well prepared, but the sides offered with the meal came to us "uneven". I had the pan seared salmon, which was very tasty. The asparagus were also tasty, but a bit singed on the edges. The rice was not cooked well and was replaced very quickly with mashed potatoes ... very tasty.

ALL the hotel personnel, including the handymen sprucing up the place, were warm and friendly.

While we were a bit early in the season for all the amenities in the area to be up and running, it is very obvious that nearby affords plenty to do for the entire family. Bring your "FUN" hat. you will enjoy.

Don't forget to visit nearby Watch Hill. Its lighthouse is real neat and affords a grand view of Taylor Swift's newly purchased $17.5 Million dollar summer "cottage" on the top of Watch Hill. Wave to her security guard as you drive by. There are plenty of places to eat in this small seaside town, for all tastes and pocketbooks.

We enjoyed...hope you will also.

5 Thank eterman
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us! I’m happy that you enjoyed your room, and will be sharing this review with my housekeeping team as they work very hard to keep the rooms clean and inviting! I’m glad that you enjoyed the newly decorated rooms, and the brand new beds. It is nice to hear that the entire staff was warm and friendly, this is one of the most important components to ensure the guests stay is enjoyable! You are right, you really cannot beat the view, a nice perk for our guests. You are absolutely right about our server Erika, she is a great asset to our restaurant. Although your sides were not prepared well, I’m happy that it was corrected quickly and to your liking! Thank you for your comments, and I hope that you will visit us again!
Hopewell Junction, New York
Reviewed 31 May 2014

This review is based on a 2-night mid-week stay at the end of May 2014 by a retired couple.

After reading some of the reviews and knowing that there had been a recent renovation, we decided to give this hotel a chance. We're glad we did. It was a perfect 2-day getaway for us with it being only 2.5 hours from home. Of course, it is still off-season and not a weekend, and, although there were plenty of guests, it was not terribly crowded. We opted for a room facing the ocean on a top floor. As others have said - LOTS of stairs to climb. I'm not complaining - I knew that in advance and didn't really mind. It was worth it to have a room with such a spectacular view.

The Room: The room was very clean and set up nicely. Lots of storage space, although not a lot of room to hang clothes - not a problem for us. There was a nice refrigerator, but no microwave - I'm not sure if that's the case in all of the rooms. We paid more for the ocean view room, so it was a bit pricey for what we got. Definitely not a Hilton - but we weren't expecting it to be. As another reviewer mentioned, the walls are a bit thin - so not sure if there would be a problem in season when there are more guests. Our room was perfect as we only had a neighbor on one side. Flat-screen tv was good. Chairs on balcony were clean and comfortable. The bed (ours was a king) was very comfortable.

The bathroom was nicely done, but the bathroom fan made such a loud noise that we were afraid to use it. We reported the problem when we checked out. We also reported that the bathroom door didn't close properly - they were aware of that.

I don't know what it will be like in season, especially on weekends - I am not a fan of crowds so will probably never know. We're thinking about returning in the fall.

The hotel is nicely situated - not far from Watch Hill where there is a lighthouse, shopping and some nice places to eat. And you can wave to Taylor Swift's security guard as you drive by her vacation home (she paid $17 million for it!). It looked like there were a lot of things for families to do in the area near the hotel.

I'm sure the renovation isn't finished. There are still things that need to be addressed - at least in the room we were in. There were no signs on the back of the doors with the usual emergency information such as directions to fire exits. We pointed that out as we checked out.

The restaurant is a bit pricey too. We ate there one night - the main part of the meal was good, but the sides were under-cooked (rice, risotto). Chef having a bad night? Wait staff was very nice.

Wifi was available in the lobby. Not sure about other parts of the hotel. No password was required so that concerns me. But vacation time should be vacation from that sort of thing too, so it was not a big deal for us. There are no clocks (good) in the rooms or phones (bad).

My real rating for this property would be 3 1/2 as I think it is slightly better than average - with a possibility of going to 4 - Very Good. I have a feeling more improvements will be made.

Room Tip: Ocean view room on top floor if you like hearing the ocean. For quieter room, take the side facing...
2 Thank Meterman1966
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us. You have provided great feedback, which will only help to improve our guests overall experience. I am also glad you chose to stay with us on Misquamicut Beach after hearing of our recent improvements. As you guessed, our redecoration project is not finished, we will be continuing throughout the course of a few years to improve each area of the hotel! We planned and will be upgrading the WiFi this season. I’m glad you enjoyed your room and the amenities. I do want to let you know that we have addressed the issue with the bathroom fan. As for the Emergency Evacuation plans, we received the brand new ones that have been placed in all of the rooms. I do apologize about your experience in the restaurant regarding your sides, I will be certain to inform the kitchen of this, but I’m glad you enjoyed your entrée! Again, thank you for sharing your feedback, and I hope that you visit us again!
Cortlandt Manor
Reviewed 28 May 2014

This will be our 3rd year at the PVI for summer vacation. we have had an oceanfront room on the 3rd floor and have requested that room for each stay. the Inn is 30 minutes from anywhere and everywhere you might want to visit ( Newport, Foxwoods, Mystic, etc.) The beach is never too crowded and the on site restaurant is incredible. Rooms are on the small side but are kept spotless. The sound of the ocean waves at night are truly therapeutic!

Room Tip: 2nd and 3rd floors have better views if you are Oceanfront.
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank Susanne A
Alison S, General Manager at Pleasant View Inn, responded to this review, 6 June 2014
Thank you for your kind words! I am so happy that you chose to stay with us again this year! I will be sure to share your great feedback and positive visit with my team. I hope that you will be able to make it down again before the season is over when you need another therapeutic fix! Thank you again for taking the time share your experience with us.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Misquamicut
Sandy Shore Motel
La Quinta Inn & Suites Stonington
Hilton Mystic
Hilton Mystic
#4 of 13 in Mystic

Been to Pleasant View Inn? Share your experiences!