“Disapppointing”
Review of Pleasant View Inn

Pleasant View Inn
Ranked #2 of 6 Hotels in Misquamicut
Reviewed 21 June 2014 via mobile

I arrived on Sat June 14th. We arrived early so we went to check to see if maybe our room was ready early (we didnt expect it to be). The room was not ready which wasnt a problem but the lady's attitude at the front desk was. She was not only rude to us but rude to the people in front of us (who were checking to see if their room was ready as well). We came back well after check in time to find out our room was on the 3rd floor, with no elevator but they offered someone for bag assistance (which we accepted). We had tons of bags and my friend has cancer and is sick, i did not expect her to carry everything up 3 floors. Moving on when we got to the room, it was very pretty and clean (we paid for an ocean view room) but shortly after arriving in our room, we discovered we had no wifi access, no cell service and NO landline in our room. We went down to the frontdesk and the lady explained they dont get good service there (which was ok) but how do you put people on the 3rd floor of a hotel with no phone to reach the front desk or in case of an emergency (like I said my friend is sick with cancer). We used the computer in the lobby to make dinner reservations. Arriving back upstairs I went to take a shower, turned the shower on, started to undress and noticed the entire bathroom was flooding. Quickly turned the shower off, left the room (cant call the front desk) walked down the stairs and explained the situation. Also explained that we had reservations and were now on a time constraint. They sent a maintenence person up who had to replace the shower head and pipe. Needless to say they never offered us a different room, we ended up being over an hour late to dinner (which was my birthday dinner) and they didnt even do so much as to apologize to us. This was supposed to be a special occasion that turned out less than special. I would not go back. Recommend you stay there only if you have low expectations and know what your facing when staying there.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
4  Thank Tiffany M
Alison S, General Manager at Pleasant View Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 24 June 2014

Thank you for sharing your experience with us. First, I want to apologize for the service you received at the front desk as this is out of character for us. We try to have the rooms ready as soon as possible, but our check out time is 11am so we do have to wait for those guests to check out. We did undergo a 1.4 million dollar upgrade which improved all of the guest rooms, corridors, and pool. We chose these essential areas based on what our guests wanted. We will continue to improve each area of the hotel over the course of a few years, so thank you for your feedback in regards to the telephones! As for the elevators, this is a difficult item to add tot eh hotel based on the layout of the buildings. We do know that WiFi is an issue, so we are actively working to upgrade our internet this season! Please call me directly at 401-348-8200 so that I can understand more about your experience, and maybe in the near future you will give us another chance.

Reviewed 21 June 2014

I was so disappointed when I arrived and found out that my "oceanview" room had no view of the ocean. We were placed on the ground floor Rm 116 and out the balcony where a ridge of rocks and grass with beach chairs filled with people in front of the ocean. I could barely see a sliver of the horizon of blue. Went back to the desk to protest. Nothing they could do! Spoke to manager telling him that this was deceptive advertising a room as oceanview when at the most one should call it oceanfront with obstructive view! He said sorry and offered no compensation of any kind. There is no doubt that the beach there is beautiful; however anyone on the first floor of our building will not be able to see the ocean. Be aware, when booking. In addition, our room was so small you could only approach the bed from one side, and although there were two chairs crowded against the opposite wall there was no room to move around. Does one expect this from an "oceanview" room which costs much more than a street or pool view room? There are plenty of other hotels on the same stretch on beach. Try one of those.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Kathleen R

Thank you for sharing your feedback. I do apologize that your reservation was on the first floor. If I had my way, all of the ocean front rooms would be on the 2nd or 3rd levels! I hope that this doesn’t deter you from staying with us again. We do have many room types all varying in views and size, please give me a call directly at 401-348-8200 and I would be happy to make a reservation for you!

Reviewed 17 June 2014

Stayed here one night with my 6 year old son. The room was much nicer than expected. You can tell it was just remodeled and it has a modern yet beach feel to it. We had a pool view room, which had 2 double beds and a mini fridge which really came in handy. The pool water was very cold ( but listed as heated on their website) the food for the restaurant was very good, my reason for a star missing was the service. Service at both dinner and breakfast was very slow. At dinner: one person sat us, another person brought us water, another person brought us silverware/placemat, another person took our drink order. And finally we were brought menus. Then trying to place the order/ get the check took forever. Same thing happened at breakfast. Bartender however (Sue?) was extremely fast and friendly and even helped me carry drinks to the pool. The beach area was very nice and not far from my room. There is no elevator so if you come with a lot of bags, or are older I suggest requesting a first floor room. Hotel is walking distance to other area restaurants (Paddy's, Anthony's, mermaid cafe, the Andrea) The only other thing that stood out to me was the amount of drunk people in and around the hotel. Now I'm no stranger to drunk people working in a bar, however these people were really really drunk! I've never been to westerly before but I travel to Newport every other weekend and I've never seen people so drunk in public before. The only reason I mention it was because I was traveling with my young son. I would definitely return to the hotel though. The staff was friendly and the room and location can't be beat. Give them a try!

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank Brittney B
Reviewed 15 June 2014

We stayed two nights at Pleasant View and it was awesome! Treated us like VIPs - paying attention to every detail. Food was FABULOUS! - beautiful ocean view while you ate - we ate all our meals at the hotel, it was that good! The staff, especially Brad, were so dedicated to making your experience the best it could be. Quinton was full of history he loved to share. The rooms were newly renovated and very peaceful. We slept with our door open and heard the calming ocean as we drifted off to sleep on a great mattress. Woke up and looked outside and "Oh Wow" was my reaction - the sun shining off the rocks was beautiful. Saw tall ships sailing by which was cool - we took so many pictures to show how beautiful it was. We had a wonderful time and would definitely go back.

Room Tip: Definitely try to get ocean view - it's so worth it!
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank Donna D

Thank you for sharing your experience with us. It is great to hear that the staff went over and beyond to accommodate you! I will certainly be sharing your feedback with my team. I’m glad you enjoyed all of your meals at our restaurant, and yes, you cannot beat having an ocean view while dining or in the rooms! I hope that you will visit in the near future, and again, thank you for your review!

Reviewed 13 June 2014

My husband and I had a little get away last weekend at this hotel. It is quite beautiful and right on the beach! I remember it before and have to say this is a gorgeous renovation. We arrived early and the room wasn't ready so we had a delicious lunch with an ocean view that was very reasonably priced. We did get to check in quite soon after that and were very pleased with the newness of the room. Bright & clean with a deck and an ocean view.
The outdoor pool was also refreshing in the later afternoon. Later on that evening we had a fabulous dinner with a good wine menu. The great thing with this hotel is you can walk along the main road and hit the town. Lots of things to do for adults and kids. We will be back!

Room Tip: Ask for ocean view!
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
5  Thank annabella262
Reviewed 1 June 2014

My husband and I were looking for a beachfront weekend getaway to relax for a couple of days over the Memorial Day weekend. We were able to book an oceanfront room on the 3rd floor. Newly renovated with nice beds and furnishings; it was fantastic. You can spend much more in other area accommodations, but we found the Pleasant View Inn to have warm, friendly staff that are eager to please and engage in conversation. Also impressive, is how the staff speaks highly of the new owners and management. This is a small Inn, however, it has a dining room serving 3 meals a day, a heated pool and a beachfront location. We enjoyed dinner both evenings in the dining room with well prepared entries and attentive service. As the summer shifts into high gear, it will be a very busy local; and as such we thoroughly enjoyed the quieter visit we experienced before the official start of summer in a lovely beach front location. The beachfront room is well worth the price differential. We are looking forward to returning. Be sure to take a short drive (under 10 minutes) into Watch Hill and enjoy the shops on Bay Street and lunch at the Olympia Tea Room. The veranda at Ocean House is also a great location for lunch on a warm day.

Room Tip: Ocean front
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
4  Thank OceanStategirl
Alison S, General Manager at Pleasant View Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 7 June 2014

Thank you for sharing your experience with us- I am so happy that you had an enjoyable time here! It is always great to hear that the staff is “eager to please” and “friendly”, I will be sure to share this with my team! It’s also good to hear that they had nice things to say about the new owners and manager, I’m actually the lucky one! I’m glad that you enjoyed your meals both evenings in our restaurant, our Chef works hard to please all of our guests. And yes you are right, it does get very busy in the middle of summer, but if you’re looking for another quieter visit come back in September when the weather is still nice! Again, thank you for your kind comments!

Reviewed 31 May 2014

It's not TRUMP ... so get that out of your head at the outset. For a family area this hotel is slightly above average. I would really rather give it a 3.5, but that is not possible with this rating service. You may want to see my wife's review as well.

We had read the reviews for this hotel prior to going, so we were forewarned. The hotel is under new management, and they are making an effort to upgrade the accommodations. The room we had ... upper floor, ocean-view ... was better than we had expected, but a bit pricey for the end result. The redecorating was tastefully done. Almost everything was brand new since it had just been done late winter/very early Spring.

The place was CLEAN and INVITING.
New mini refrigerator, NO microwave. You could probably get one in the room if you wanted one.
Storage was minimal, as would be expected. Don't bring a lot of stuff to hang.
The bathroom was brand/spanking new except for the vent fan. It was obvious that it was broken from the sound it made when we turned it on. We let them know at the front desk when we checked out. The bathroom door needed a lot of urging to close and lock. (When they redid the rooms someone did not bother to make sure that the doors were put back in the same room they came from).

The bed was comfortable and tastefully made up. We are fussy here as we are old and crotchety. Plenty of pillows.

The "private" balcony was small, but warm and pleasant in spite of cold Spring wind. It afforded us a SPECTACULAR view of the Block Island Sound. Since the hotel faces South, the sun rose to our left and set to our right. Perfect for sitting and enjoying the view, without the sun in your eyes.

The dining room offers a sizable, but limited menu. You have to remember, this is a hotel restaurant, not a diner. The prices are $$ - $$$. The wait personnel are warm, friendly and prompt. If you get Erica, you will not be disappointed.

The main courses were well prepared, but the sides offered with the meal came to us "uneven". I had the pan seared salmon, which was very tasty. The asparagus were also tasty, but a bit singed on the edges. The rice was not cooked well and was replaced very quickly with mashed potatoes ... very tasty.

ALL the hotel personnel, including the handymen sprucing up the place, were warm and friendly.

While we were a bit early in the season for all the amenities in the area to be up and running, it is very obvious that nearby affords plenty to do for the entire family. Bring your "FUN" hat. you will enjoy.

Don't forget to visit nearby Watch Hill. Its lighthouse is real neat and affords a grand view of Taylor Swift's newly purchased $17.5 Million dollar summer "cottage" on the top of Watch Hill. Wave to her security guard as you drive by. There are plenty of places to eat in this small seaside town, for all tastes and pocketbooks.

We enjoyed...hope you will also.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
5  Thank eterman

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us! I’m happy that you enjoyed your room, and will be sharing this review with my housekeeping team as they work very hard to keep the rooms clean and inviting! I’m glad that you enjoyed the newly decorated rooms, and the brand new beds. It is nice to hear that the entire staff was warm and friendly, this is one of the most important components to ensure the guests stay is enjoyable! You are right, you really cannot beat the view, a nice perk for our guests. You are absolutely right about our server Erika, she is a great asset to our restaurant. Although your sides were not prepared well, I’m happy that it was corrected quickly and to your liking! Thank you for your comments, and I hope that you will visit us again!

Also consider these accommodations in or near Misquamicut
Sandy Shore Motel
La Quinta Inn & Suites Stonington
Misquamicut Beach Front Inn
Misquamicut Beach Front Inn
#3 of 6 in Misquamicut

Been to Pleasant View Inn? Share your experiences!