“Awful, dirty MOTEL. Save your money.”
Review of Pleasant View Inn

Pleasant View Inn
Ranked #2 of 6 Hotels in Misquamicut
“Awful, dirty MOTEL. Save your money.”
Reviewed 27 June 2014 via mobile

Upon arrival at this godforsaken place...I was ready to go home. Honestly, I didn't even care about the money we had already spent because we pre booked. We decided to stick it out and give it a shot. Upon check in and retrieval of our keys..we. noticed that both keys had some kind of black gunk on them, they and the white plastic tags attached were filthy. Good thing I brought Clorox wipes. Why they wouldn't soak those in a cleaner is beyond me. There was no parking in the closer lot to our room so we had to tote all of our heavy belongings from a different lot which was a bit of distance, as we had to park at the very end of the lot. Honestly that wouldn't even bother me had they had someone to help. After four trips back and forth, we finally made our way up to our room...good Lord help me. The door (and I later found out all the doors) are incorrectly installed and in order to get the door open we had to turn the key and then shoulder slam it. it then makes an awful loud noise..the noise which later woke us up at least ten times in the next few days from our neighbors trying to get in and out of their rooms. Anyway, we body slam the door and get in our room...and the smell hits us. We had noticed it a bit in the gross hallways. buy this was worse- a mustier dirty, wet smell. The room was incredibly small with unpressed linens that were all wrinkled and honestly looked and smelled unwashed. The bathroom was unclean and the toilet had feces on the back of it. The shower had a lot of black mold. Again...thank goodness for my Clorox wipes. The carpet was almost wet. There was leftover food in the refrigerator in the room..gross...and to accompany that.. flies. Their so called "update" was not an update at all. They replaced some bedding, painted a wall an awful color orange. And installed a musty carpet. The bathroom looked untouched. Our toilet kept overflowing as when we flushed it the water would just continue rising for no apparent reason. The walls and floors are so thin and you can hear everything. The people above us were rude and kept yelling off Their balcony and making some high pitched squeeling sound with something to the extent that our ears hurt. There is no cell phone reception so they should really put a phone in the room! The woman who helped us with one of the issues we had was super weird and couldn't find any of the things needed to fix the issue. This place is a joke. The restaurant sucks. and is the worst clam chowder we ever had. Don't tell guests that you have a "four star chef" when it Is not true. The clam chowder looked and tasted as if it were made from powdered milk and loaded with spices that dont belong in chowder. Watered down and undercooked..with a clear/yellow colloring. The sandwiches sucked too. We ate there only that one time..the rest of the time we drove into town. Unfortunate that you can't eat at the on site restaurant. The beach is so uneven you cannot walk comfortably, there isn't much walking room anyway. This place is trash at its finest. The maid never even cleaned our room the three days we were there. So I ended up having to sneak into the maids closet while it was open and grab towels and toiletries and such. Unreal. People....PLEASE save your money. Unless you are okay with a dirty motel, then spend the unbelievable amount of $300 a night. I will stay at the Ocean House next time...I will NEVER go cheap again. Not like $300 a night for a nasty motel is cheap. This place is worth $30 a night in my opinion and many peoples opinions. It should simply be shut down. Bottom line. Thanks for nothing "PV Inn"; should be called the dumpy inn. Honestly. Unbelievably ridiculous waste of money and a vacation. We couldn't WAIT to come home!!!

• Stayed June 2014
8 Thank NamasteZen1 .
Alison S, General Manager at Pleasant View Inn, responded to this review, 11 July 2014
First, I want to thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us. I do apologize that you did not have an enjoyable experience here, which as you can see from a majority of our reviews that are positive, is out of character for us. We did undergo a 1.4 million dollar redecoration just this past winter, which was completed in May of 2014. All of the rooms and corridors received brand new carpeting, furniture, and tile in the bathrooms, so it is difficult to understand how you had mold, or a musty carpet in your room. Unfortunately, you never stated the time you actually stayed at the hotel or your name, so I couldn’t look at the history of your stay. Instead, I looked at our communication logs and there weren’t any complaints of these issues recorded. I hope that you did reach out to the front desk so that we could have rectified the situation for you immediately. Please call me directly so that I can better understand the issues that you faced during your stay here. It is unfortunate that you had a bad experience in the restaurant, although we have never claimed to have a 4 star chef, we have positive reviews regarding our food. We actually had an anonymous food critic visit our restaurant, feel free to visit this link:

to read the article written by the food critic, in hopes you will give us another chance! I hope that you do reach out to me directly so that I can fix any of the issues experienced. Again, thank you for your feedback!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (109)
West Hartford, CT
Reviewed 25 June 2014

Traveling with a 90 year old mother looking to visit the beaches of Rhode Island, perhaps for the last time for her, I wanted to find a place where we could truly be on the beach but not paying the huge rates at the Ocean House in Watch Hill. I have never been to this part of RI before and used reviews from the Internet to zone in on the Pleasant View Inn.

It fully delivered on its promises: clean, recently renovated (after being destroyed by a hurricane), right on the water, spacious room, and we had a charming small porch just yards from the beach. My mother, who cannot walk on the sand anymore, could lie on the big King Bed and watch the beach life from her room.

The restaurant on location also lived up to its billing as reasonably priced and solid food. My mother ordered a scrambled egg and toast for just a few bucks and I went for the yoghurt and fresh fruit, which came with a generous pile of berries and melon. Total cost for the two of us: just $18. The dinner was equally reasonable and the food practical but good.

The Inn itself lies right on the border between a low cost strip of motels and bars and the start of the road to the super high end places in Watch Hill. Indeed, as far as we could see, it was the only mid-range priced hotel in the area on the water.

Our only complaints: they need to post no smoking signs everywhere because people came out on the balconies and along the walkway and smoked constantly. As an asthmatic, that was a real problem for me. So even though there's an official non smoking rule, they did not enforce it or make it clear.

There's not much in the area other than the fine beaches. The town of Westerly itself is a good 10 to 15 minute drive away and ditto for Watch Hill. So if you want to step out and see anything other than sea and sand, it's a bit limited.

Overall we felt this was a terrific place for the price.

Room Tip: More than half of the rooms face either the swimming pool or the restaurant so you need to be very v...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
4 Thank Mary C
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us! I am glad that you thoroughly enjoyed your stay with us, from the clean rooms, to the restaurant, to the location! You are absolutely right about the non-smoking signs, and this is an issue we are actively working on. Prior to this season, the hotel has never been non-smoking. We are working on making most areas non-smoking, by first eliminating it from the restaurant patio and balconies, so I thank you for sharing your feedback on this issue. It is nice to know that overall you felt that the Pleasant View Inn is a “terrific place”, and I hope that you will be able to visit again this season!
Reviewed 24 June 2014

What a great location right on the beach and the staff was fantastic. Had a wonderful dinner in the dining room overlooking the ocean and the food was delicious. Couldn't ask for a better time relaxed on the beach during the day and a nice long walk after dinner. Would highly recommend if your looking for a nice place to get away and relax.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Nickpan
Alison S, General Manager at Pleasant View Inn, responded to this review, 9 July 2014
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us! I will certainly be sharing your nice comments regarding the staff with my team. I’m glad you were able to have a nice relaxing getaway here, that is what vacation is all about! I hope that you will be able to join us again this summer!
Schenectady, New York
Reviewed 22 June 2014

This is my second time coming to this location for vacation and the transformation that has occured is simply stunning.

I visted the hotel before the renovation and the rooms were very dingy and dark - everything just seemed used and out dated. Even the staff looked unhappy being there. I honestly was not planning on coming back until I heard there was new ownership and the Pleasant view was going under renovation ... so I decided to give this place another shot.

The rooms were so clean and the staff was very friendly and seemed happy to be there. We ate at the restaurant the first night and it was by far the best food we've eaten the whole trip. The staff was super professional and the views were amazing. The general manager, Ali (I think her name was), came and asked us how our meal was and if we were enjoying our stay. It was suprising to see a general manager still at the hotel at 8:30 at night! I dont know if it was the wine but I could not stop smiling the whole 3 days my husband and I were there. Ali and her staff really made us feel welcomed and we will 100 percent be back next year.

Room Tip: I know this is a crazy thing to say because you are on the ocean and it is the reason why you come t...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Linda O
We are pleased that you gave us another chance and enjoyed your stay here! It is great to hear that the staff was accommodating and that you like the newly decorated rooms. I will sure to let my team know that you enjoyed your meals and the staff! We hope that you will be able to return again before the season is over! Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us!
Reviewed 21 June 2014 via mobile

I arrived on Sat June 14th. We arrived early so we went to check to see if maybe our room was ready early (we didnt expect it to be). The room was not ready which wasnt a problem but the lady's attitude at the front desk was. She was not only rude to us but rude to the people in front of us (who were checking to see if their room was ready as well). We came back well after check in time to find out our room was on the 3rd floor, with no elevator but they offered someone for bag assistance (which we accepted). We had tons of bags and my friend has cancer and is sick, i did not expect her to carry everything up 3 floors. Moving on when we got to the room, it was very pretty and clean (we paid for an ocean view room) but shortly after arriving in our room, we discovered we had no wifi access, no cell service and NO landline in our room. We went down to the frontdesk and the lady explained they dont get good service there (which was ok) but how do you put people on the 3rd floor of a hotel with no phone to reach the front desk or in case of an emergency (like I said my friend is sick with cancer). We used the computer in the lobby to make dinner reservations. Arriving back upstairs I went to take a shower, turned the shower on, started to undress and noticed the entire bathroom was flooding. Quickly turned the shower off, left the room (cant call the front desk) walked down the stairs and explained the situation. Also explained that we had reservations and were now on a time constraint. They sent a maintenence person up who had to replace the shower head and pipe. Needless to say they never offered us a different room, we ended up being over an hour late to dinner (which was my birthday dinner) and they didnt even do so much as to apologize to us. This was supposed to be a special occasion that turned out less than special. I would not go back. Recommend you stay there only if you have low expectations and know what your facing when staying there.

Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
4 Thank Tiffany M
Alison S, General Manager at Pleasant View Inn, responded to this review, 24 June 2014
Thank you for sharing your experience with us. First, I want to apologize for the service you received at the front desk as this is out of character for us. We try to have the rooms ready as soon as possible, but our check out time is 11am so we do have to wait for those guests to check out. We did undergo a 1.4 million dollar upgrade which improved all of the guest rooms, corridors, and pool. We chose these essential areas based on what our guests wanted. We will continue to improve each area of the hotel over the course of a few years, so thank you for your feedback in regards to the telephones! As for the elevators, this is a difficult item to add tot eh hotel based on the layout of the buildings. We do know that WiFi is an issue, so we are actively working to upgrade our internet this season! Please call me directly at 401-348-8200 so that I can understand more about your experience, and maybe in the near future you will give us another chance.
Middleborough, Massachusetts
Reviewed 21 June 2014

I was so disappointed when I arrived and found out that my "oceanview" room had no view of the ocean. We were placed on the ground floor Rm 116 and out the balcony where a ridge of rocks and grass with beach chairs filled with people in front of the ocean. I could barely see a sliver of the horizon of blue. Went back to the desk to protest. Nothing they could do! Spoke to manager telling him that this was deceptive advertising a room as oceanview when at the most one should call it oceanfront with obstructive view! He said sorry and offered no compensation of any kind. There is no doubt that the beach there is beautiful; however anyone on the first floor of our building will not be able to see the ocean. Be aware, when booking. In addition, our room was so small you could only approach the bed from one side, and although there were two chairs crowded against the opposite wall there was no room to move around. Does one expect this from an "oceanview" room which costs much more than a street or pool view room? There are plenty of other hotels on the same stretch on beach. Try one of those.

Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Kathleen R
Thank you for sharing your feedback. I do apologize that your reservation was on the first floor. If I had my way, all of the ocean front rooms would be on the 2nd or 3rd levels! I hope that this doesn’t deter you from staying with us again. We do have many room types all varying in views and size, please give me a call directly at 401-348-8200 and I would be happy to make a reservation for you!
Meriden, Connecticut
Reviewed 17 June 2014

Stayed here one night with my 6 year old son. The room was much nicer than expected. You can tell it was just remodeled and it has a modern yet beach feel to it. We had a pool view room, which had 2 double beds and a mini fridge which really came in handy. The pool water was very cold ( but listed as heated on their website) the food for the restaurant was very good, my reason for a star missing was the service. Service at both dinner and breakfast was very slow. At dinner: one person sat us, another person brought us water, another person brought us silverware/placemat, another person took our drink order. And finally we were brought menus. Then trying to place the order/ get the check took forever. Same thing happened at breakfast. Bartender however (Sue?) was extremely fast and friendly and even helped me carry drinks to the pool. The beach area was very nice and not far from my room. There is no elevator so if you come with a lot of bags, or are older I suggest requesting a first floor room. Hotel is walking distance to other area restaurants (Paddy's, Anthony's, mermaid cafe, the Andrea) The only other thing that stood out to me was the amount of drunk people in and around the hotel. Now I'm no stranger to drunk people working in a bar, however these people were really really drunk! I've never been to westerly before but I travel to Newport every other weekend and I've never seen people so drunk in public before. The only reason I mention it was because I was traveling with my young son. I would definitely return to the hotel though. The staff was friendly and the room and location can't be beat. Give them a try!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank Brittney B
Also consider these accommodations in or near Misquamicut
Sandy Shore Motel
#3 of 13 in Mystic
The Break
The Break
#1 of 8 in Narragansett

Been to Pleasant View Inn? Share your experiences!