“First trip to the Pleasant View Inn”
Review of Pleasant View Inn

Pleasant View Inn
Ranked #2 of 6 Hotels in Misquamicut
Reviewed 5 July 2014

Just arrived home from a five day vacation at the Pleasant View Inn in RI. From the minute we arrived at the front desk to check in everyone at the front desk was courteous, friendly, and attentive to our needs. They asked us if we needed help to our room, which we did, and someone came immediately and helped us to our room. The room was ready on our arrival, and it was cleaned, and the view was beautiful. Everyone there was courteous, professional, and always asking if we needed anything. This was our first trip to the Pleasant View, and we are looking forward to going back again.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
4  Thank MommaMarge2014
Alison S, General Manager at Pleasant View Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 8 August 2014

Thank you for sharing your positive experience! I’m glad that you enjoyed your stay from the minute you arrived, and that the staff was friendly and attentive. I will be sure to share this with my team and I hope that you will be able to visit again this season!

Reviewed 4 July 2014

I was a little nervous about my stay when I was reading some other peoples reviews. We arrived around 12pm. I knew check in wasnt until 3, but I wanted to enjoy the nice beach day. I went inside to let them know I was there. I wanted to just let them know we were here, not expecting that my room would be ready. The woman behind the desk was kind of rude, but then gave us our parking pass and told us not to come back until check in, and I could check sooner but no promises of our room being ready. We headed down to the beach and enjoyed 4 hours down there! Came back, got our room keys and headed on up! Unlocked the door and was surprised. The room was beautiful (we got ocean view w/ a king bed), but I was surprised on how small our room was. When I made the reservation online, I had put into the notes that I would be traveling with a 3 year old and a 1 month old. They had called me to confirm what floor I wanted, as their are no elevators. I was fine with second floor, ( for the price I wanted ocean view, not ground view) Anyways, we made it work with the 4 of us. The rest of the trip was good. We decided to spend some time at the pool, when we arrived their was caution tape and the pool was closed.(apparently there was a problem with the pump & that needed to be taken care of) which we understood, but the guy came over to us and said that it should be a half an hour or so and it should be open. That was around 1:45, around 3 we decided to head back to our room. My 3 year old passed out on the lounge chair with her life vest on. We were tired of waiting. That was probably the most disappointing part of our trip. we did enjoy the pool the next day. Other then the pool situation, everything else was great. Housekeeping was great at coming in and cleaning up. I loved the wifi! The restaurant had great food! And the free coffee & tea all day long was nice too! All in all we ended up with a great trip! And can't wait to return!

Room Tip: I would get a double room if traveling with young kids, and ocean view you want 2nd or 3rd floor for...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
4  Thank ckirouac28

Thank you for sharing your feedback about you stay with us! First, I do want to apologize about the front desk agent who spoke with you when you first arrived. I will be addressing this with the front desk. I’m glad you enjoyed your room! The layout of the rooms are no uniform so we do have a lot of different room sizes, next time you make your reservation we will be sure to place you in a larger room that can accommodate your family! The pool never closes down, however, we had to address an issue with our pump, and close the pool until it was fixed. I’m sorry that in the very rare occasion that it happens, it was during your trip, but I am happy you got to enjoy it the next day! I will be sure to share your nice comments with both my housekeeping and restaurant staff. When you plan to make your next trip, please email me directly at pvigm01@gmail.com, and I will be sure to place you in a larger room! Thank you again for your feedback.

Reviewed 1 July 2014

Our room has a view of the top of a roof this was the room they gave us after a requested a room for our 7th year wedding anniversary. When my husband asked if they had another room they said no but I went down to the front desk they said oh sorry just booked the last two rooms. Terrible service for repeat customers and our room is the size of a prison cell with a small window with a view of shingles. I am not one that usually complains I generally roll with the punches but I am disappointed to have booked in advance for such terrible accomodations

• Stayed: July 2014
4  Thank Catherine F
Alison S, General Manager at Pleasant View Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 11 July 2014

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us. I do apologize that the room you wanted was not available. You had stated that you asked if we had more rooms available, it could be that the last room the front desk sold was the same type of room you were already in. Please contact me directly at 40-348-8200 so that I can get a better understanding of what happened, and do what I can on my end to make things right. Thank you!

Reviewed 27 June 2014

Us: Husband & Wife, 2 kids ages 6 & 3.
Looking for a quick get away that's not too far of a car ride but still far enough from home to feel like an adventure to our kids.

Pros:
The hotel rooms have been renovated, while its not a 5 star hotel, it is most certainly a 3 star w/nice accommodations a magnificent view. We stayed in room 332, small but roomy enough for the 4 of us. This room is facing the ocean the view can't get any better. The balcony is also small (fits 2 chairs) but we liked that it was quiet (as opposed to those w/pool side rooms).

The pool is very well maintained.
The staff is very friendly.
The restaurant is charming. We only ate breakfast there and it was fine.
The beach is fantastic. You're only allowed on this part of the beach if you are a guest of PVI which is nice because the public beach section is so congested!!
Location is great, you are within walking distance of a new beach restaurant next door called Andrea's.

Cons:
The TV in the room is quite small.

When the renovations took place the doors were not placed back to their original location so yes, you get the sticky door problem and may need to give it a little shove. My door was completely stuck and a locksmith was called but it did take a few hours to get someone from offsite to our hotel to fix the door, luckily I spent this waiting time on the beach.

The bathroom ceiling is a bit icky, its those old Styrofoam panel looking things and have a bit of mildew but overall the bathroom was clean.

No wifi.

No phone in the room which shouldn't matter much - who doesn't have a cell phone? But there's terrible phone service so if you need to reach the front desk - you have to walk there.

Overall:
This is the no frills place to come when you're looking for an R&R, family friendly place. Do not come here with 5 star expectations, come here with a laid back beach vibe and you are golden!

Room Tip: Ocean view rooms on 3rd floor are the best but there are NO ELEVATORS so be prepared.
3  Thank BeesInLove

Thank you for taking the time to write about your experience! I’m glad that you found the staff friendly, and had a nice vacation enjoying the view, pool, and restaurant. I do apologize about the trouble you experienced with your door, it is something that we have been improving each day. We currently are installing brand new WiFi with much betted speed and efficiency. I’m sorry that it had been in the planning stage during your visit. Thank you for giving your feedback regarding the phones as well as the drop ceilings in our bathrooms. We did consider installing phones in all of the rooms, however, it wasn’t the most prominent upgrade that guests wanted; maybe in the future! I hope that you can visit again before the season is over!

Reviewed 27 June 2014

I stayed at the hotel June 23rd and 24th and I was very surprised on how friendly and welcoming the staff were. My room was extremely clean and bright..it was amazing how close the ocean was. I had breakfast at the restaurant and the food was delicious, the waiter was very attentive and the free coffee was a huge plus. Overall, I had an amazing time, WILL BE BACK and will recommending the hotel to everyone I know!

Thank you PV staff !!!

Room Tip: Choose an ocean view and you wont be disappointed!!!
3  Thank Michaela H

Thank you for your kind words, I will be sure to share this with my team! I’m glad that the staff was “friendly” and “welcoming” and that your room was “extremely clean and bright”, the staff works very hard to ensure that our guests have a nice and relaxing vacation here. It is nice to see that you will be back, and if you enjoyed your breakfast, next time be sure to have dinner! Again, thank you for sharing your experience with us, and we look forward to your next visit!

Reviewed 27 June 2014 via mobile

Upon arrival at this godforsaken place...I was ready to go home. Honestly, I didn't even care about the money we had already spent because we pre booked. We decided to stick it out and give it a shot. Upon check in and retrieval of our keys..we. noticed that both keys had some kind of black gunk on them, they and the white plastic tags attached were filthy. Good thing I brought Clorox wipes. Why they wouldn't soak those in a cleaner is beyond me. There was no parking in the closer lot to our room so we had to tote all of our heavy belongings from a different lot which was a bit of distance, as we had to park at the very end of the lot. Honestly that wouldn't even bother me had they had someone to help. After four trips back and forth, we finally made our way up to our room...good Lord help me. The door (and I later found out all the doors) are incorrectly installed and in order to get the door open we had to turn the key and then shoulder slam it. it then makes an awful loud noise..the noise which later woke us up at least ten times in the next few days from our neighbors trying to get in and out of their rooms. Anyway, we body slam the door and get in our room...and the smell hits us. We had noticed it a bit in the gross hallways. buy this was worse- a mustier dirty, wet smell. The room was incredibly small with unpressed linens that were all wrinkled and honestly looked and smelled unwashed. The bathroom was unclean and the toilet had feces on the back of it. The shower had a lot of black mold. Again...thank goodness for my Clorox wipes. The carpet was almost wet. There was leftover food in the refrigerator in the room..gross...and to accompany that.. flies. Their so called "update" was not an update at all. They replaced some bedding, painted a wall an awful color orange. And installed a musty carpet. The bathroom looked untouched. Our toilet kept overflowing as when we flushed it the water would just continue rising for no apparent reason. The walls and floors are so thin and you can hear everything. The people above us were rude and kept yelling off Their balcony and making some high pitched squeeling sound with something to the extent that our ears hurt. There is no cell phone reception so they should really put a phone in the room! The woman who helped us with one of the issues we had was super weird and couldn't find any of the things needed to fix the issue. This place is a joke. The restaurant sucks. and is the worst clam chowder we ever had. Don't tell guests that you have a "four star chef" when it Is not true. The clam chowder looked and tasted as if it were made from powdered milk and loaded with spices that dont belong in chowder. Watered down and undercooked..with a clear/yellow colloring. The sandwiches sucked too. We ate there only that one time..the rest of the time we drove into town. Unfortunate that you can't eat at the on site restaurant. The beach is so uneven you cannot walk comfortably, there isn't much walking room anyway. This place is trash at its finest. The maid never even cleaned our room the three days we were there. So I ended up having to sneak into the maids closet while it was open and grab towels and toiletries and such. Unreal. People....PLEASE save your money. Unless you are okay with a dirty motel, then spend the unbelievable amount of $300 a night. I will stay at the Ocean House next time...I will NEVER go cheap again. Not like $300 a night for a nasty motel is cheap. This place is worth $30 a night in my opinion and many peoples opinions. It should simply be shut down. Bottom line. Thanks for nothing "PV Inn"; should be called the dumpy inn. Honestly. Unbelievably ridiculous waste of money and a vacation. We couldn't WAIT to come home!!!

• Stayed: June 2014
8  Thank NamasteZen1 .

First, I want to thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us. I do apologize that you did not have an enjoyable experience here, which as you can see from a majority of our reviews that are positive, is out of character for us. We did undergo a 1.4 million dollar redecoration just this past winter, which was completed in May of 2014. All of the rooms and corridors received brand new carpeting, furniture, and tile in the bathrooms, so it is difficult to understand how you had mold, or a musty carpet in your room. Unfortunately, you never stated the time you actually stayed at the hotel or your name, so I couldn’t look at the history of your stay. Instead, I looked at our communication logs and there weren’t any complaints of these issues recorded. I hope that you did reach out to the front desk so that we could have rectified the situation for you immediately. Please call me directly so that I can better understand the issues that you faced during your stay here. It is unfortunate that you had a bad experience in the restaurant, although we have never claimed to have a 4 star chef, we have positive reviews regarding our food. We actually had an anonymous food critic visit our restaurant, feel free to visit this link:

to read the article written by the food critic, in hopes you will give us another chance! I hope that you do reach out to me directly so that I can fix any of the issues experienced. Again, thank you for your feedback!

Reviewed 25 June 2014

Traveling with a 90 year old mother looking to visit the beaches of Rhode Island, perhaps for the last time for her, I wanted to find a place where we could truly be on the beach but not paying the huge rates at the Ocean House in Watch Hill. I have never been to this part of RI before and used reviews from the Internet to zone in on the Pleasant View Inn.

It fully delivered on its promises: clean, recently renovated (after being destroyed by a hurricane), right on the water, spacious room, and we had a charming small porch just yards from the beach. My mother, who cannot walk on the sand anymore, could lie on the big King Bed and watch the beach life from her room.

The restaurant on location also lived up to its billing as reasonably priced and solid food. My mother ordered a scrambled egg and toast for just a few bucks and I went for the yoghurt and fresh fruit, which came with a generous pile of berries and melon. Total cost for the two of us: just $18. The dinner was equally reasonable and the food practical but good.

The Inn itself lies right on the border between a low cost strip of motels and bars and the start of the road to the super high end places in Watch Hill. Indeed, as far as we could see, it was the only mid-range priced hotel in the area on the water.

Our only complaints: they need to post no smoking signs everywhere because people came out on the balconies and along the walkway and smoked constantly. As an asthmatic, that was a real problem for me. So even though there's an official non smoking rule, they did not enforce it or make it clear.

There's not much in the area other than the fine beaches. The town of Westerly itself is a good 10 to 15 minute drive away and ditto for Watch Hill. So if you want to step out and see anything other than sea and sand, it's a bit limited.

Overall we felt this was a terrific place for the price.

Room Tip: More than half of the rooms face either the swimming pool or the restaurant so you need to be very v...
4  Thank Mary C

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us! I am glad that you thoroughly enjoyed your stay with us, from the clean rooms, to the restaurant, to the location! You are absolutely right about the non-smoking signs, and this is an issue we are actively working on. Prior to this season, the hotel has never been non-smoking. We are working on making most areas non-smoking, by first eliminating it from the restaurant patio and balconies, so I thank you for sharing your feedback on this issue. It is nice to know that overall you felt that the Pleasant View Inn is a “terrific place”, and I hope that you will be able to visit again this season!

Also consider these accommodations in or near Misquamicut
Sandy Shore Motel
#1 of 5 in North Stonington
Hilton Mystic
Hilton Mystic
#5 of 13 in Mystic

Been to Pleasant View Inn? Share your experiences!