“Back After 3 Years”

Ranked #2 of 6 Hotels in Misquamicut
Wallingford, CT
“Back After 3 Years”
Reviewed 14 August 2010

I wrote a review of the Pleasant View Inn in 2007 in which I expressed disappointment with facilities and food quality. I said I would probably not return.

This year (2010) I decided to take a chance and return. Overall, I'm glad I did.

They have updated a number of the rooms, our third-floor room among them. The beds were new as was the rest of the room furniture. It appeared that the bathtub shower had been updated as well. The effect was nice; the beds are especially comfortable. According to the PVI staff, they are doing the updates on a piecemeal basis.

The food remains expensive, but as others have noted, the quality has improved considerably. Every meal we had at PVI was top notch.

The beach was terrific and I have a feeling that the sand may have been replenished sometime within the last few years. There was a noticeable lack of rocks and pebbles compared to previous visits.

My only complaint, and it is a very mild one, is that their free WiFi service doesn't cover the resort consistently. We were never able to connect to the Internet from our room; we had to walk down to the lobby area to get an adequate connection.

PVI is still rough around the edges as always, but this time I can say that I probably *will* be back.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled with family
2 Thank Sparky1954

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (108)
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 5 August 2010

Our daughter was to be married in this area and a local suggested this inn to stay. We thought the prices were a bit high but the location could explain that. Our other daughter with a two year old and a four month old also registered since she would be in the wedding. I took the least expensive room that would still have at least a double as described on the internet. We would not be there long enough to care about the view. My daughter requested a room large enough for the four of them. The interesting story started in June when the inn called my daughter and asked why she had not arrived. She explained again to them that she needed the room for her sister's wedding in July not June. They apologized and rebooked her. This was good. Then we called in early July to see if we could add on my mother in law who had just had cardiac surgery and lived 15 minutes from the place. At that time the inn informed us that we presently had a room with only two twin beds. We disagreed, they called back with apologies and told us that we would be upgrated to an oceanfront room for the same cost and could include my mother in law. We no longer questioned that she be with us. Upon arrival my daughter was placed in a two double bed room with no space for the two cribs since the room was long and narrow. Then we arrived with
my mother in law only to find out there were no elevators and she had to carry her bag up two flights. There are no phones in the rooms and the cell phone reception is extremely poor. We were concerned if we had to call the doctor or even 911. There are no radio/clocks or hairdryers in the rooms unless you go to the desk and request one. This left me very uneasy about the clientel that they must have to deal with. The wedding went well and we decided to relax on the beach for a day. There are an unbelieveable number of metal stairs that you need to climb down to get to the beach front. This was the icing on the cake for our family, I thought. When my husband went to check out we were charged an extra $100 a night with the comment "there were three of you you know". We will try to work things out with the inn but I certainly would not reccommend this place to someone else.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled with family
2 Thank Mac12142
Naples, Florida
Reviewed 18 July 2010

Having stayed on the Cape and grown up on the Jersey shore, I can't say this is more than average BUT, I am a foodie and the food here was out of this world. Enough for me to go back just for that. They didn't have oysters but came back a few minutes later and said the fisherman just dropped them off having caught them from the next town! And they were wild, out of this world! The chowder is the best I've ever had. They batter dip the fish and chips and the chef out does Gordon Ramsey at the London (I'm a NYer). Lots of comfort food too. The staff was really nice.

In the summer, it's very crowded, families, small beach, old decor, kitchy, and the area is run down but for the food triple A. I went to pick up my teenagers from Camp Farwell a few towns away so went for convenience.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled with family
Quincy, Massachusetts
Reviewed 7 July 2010

For the price and location it was worth it. Don't think we'd go back, but don't regret going. The inn, hasn't been remodeled since the 80's. The location to the beach and Watch hill was perfect. The food was good. No convenience store nearby so bring your snacks with you! The other bars nearby were also out of the 80's but enjoyable. For the price worth it. We traveled there from Boston for the 4th of July and enjoyed ourselves. I wouldn't travel anymore than 2-3 hours to get there. Traffic leaving could be brutal.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple
Rensselaer, New York
Reviewed 20 June 2010

My husband & I have stayed at the Pleasant View Inn & stayed other places as well
but would not miss having dinner at the Pleasant View - the dinner was superb!!!
My complements to the chef!!! Excellent!

William & Margaret Sauer

• Stayed June 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank marge33348480
Springfield, Massachusetts
Reviewed 1 June 2010

I am a disabled female who sometimes travels alone/I walked on crutches the time I stayed at this hotel.
The Staff was so concerned that I hadn't told them this when booking--they did everything above and beyond to make me feel comfortable.
I still wanted my top floor corner room looking out at the Ocean..
I felt like I was sitting on the Ocean on the balcony...
some days when I didn't feel to good I swear I could nap on my bed and still she the Ocean
The Cleaning Staff was fantastic.
My room clean and perfect.
I truly felt like I had been on vacation by the time I left there.

• Stayed July 2008, travelled solo
2 Thank LynnD7
CT
Reviewed 21 April 2010

We have stayed here 2 times. It's not a 5 start hotel but it's decent for the price. The location is good because it's the last hotel on the strip. We went in June so the nights were still a little chilly so make sure you bring a jacket. The beach is kinda small but if you walk to the end of the hotel pass the rocks you get all that area to yourself. The staff are nice and the room is cleaned up everyday. The restaurant had pretty good food and the bar had decent drinks. There are other places to eat along the beach strip and little shops. It's overall a cute place. I loved the private balcony viewing the ocean! Very relaxing to sit out there. I'll go back for sure for a little getaway.

• Stayed June 2007, travelled as a couple
2 Thank cheetahangel
Also consider these accommodations in or near Misquamicut
Sandy Shore Motel
#3 of 13 in Mystic
Hilton Mystic
Hilton Mystic
#4 of 13 in Mystic

Been to Pleasant View Inn? Share your experiences!