“Lovely Weekend by the Ocean” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Best Kept Secret B & B

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Narragansett
Best Kept Secret B & B
Ranked #4 of 11 Narragansett B&B and Inns
Madison, Wisconsin
“Lovely Weekend by the Ocean”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 January 2014

My wife and I were looking for a quiet, mellow weekend by the ocean in Rhode Island, and found the experience at 'Best Kept Secret' absolutely perfect. The room was immaculate and comfortable, the owners are friendly and accommodating, the cats are adorable, and you can't beat the location! A short walk from the beach, and a short drive from a number of other oceanic delights -- we found plenty to enjoy even in the dead of winter. Highly recommended, and we would certainly do it all over again!

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
Somers, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 December 2013

BKS is the ideal place to "get away from it all".
It's quiet atmosphere, proximity to both Scarborough State Beach with it's boardwalk, and the quaint fishing village of Galilee transport it's guests into a relaxed state quickly and easily. Breakfasts are lovingly prepared by Nancy and Tom who really know how to make you feel welcome. The rooms are spotless and comfortable, so come on in and discover the secret

• Stayed August 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank Dorothy C
Boston, Massachusetts
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 October 2013

After reading all of the positive reviews, I’m wondering if my husband and I caught the owners on a bad week. We have stayed at a lot of B&B’s and this one was our one and only disappointing experience.

The pros: proximity to the beach and Nancy’s genuine desire to save you the large daily parking fee at Scarborough beach by offering up a space in her driveway– even if you arrive early & will block her car. The price was reasonable for the area.

The cons: We stayed in the pink room. It needed a thorough cleaning – it appeared tidy but we quickly noted the carpet along the baseboard was dusty and the furniture needed a Swiffer. I’ve attached photos of the bathroom. The shower, towel shelf and wainscotting needed a real scrubbing. The bed is placed in a corner which means one of you has to exit the bed by crawling backwards toward the foot if you don’t want to disturb your partner. There are no locks on the bedroom door & the front door was unlocked during daylight hours so I wasn’t comfortable leaving my camera, Ipad, etc in the room while we were at the beach. We felt rushed through breakfast. Nancy was clearing away food & dishes while we were eating. My “pot of tea” only filled my cup half way. The “baked good” was an Entemann’s danish plopped on the table in the box. We enjoyed the other guests at the table, but felt ignored by Nancy.

Maybe our experience was a fluke, but we will stay elsewhere in Narragansett in the future.

• 2 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank loves_get-aways-14-
melchior22, Owner at Best Kept Secret B & B, responded to this review, 4 November 2013
After nearly 3 months this customer wrote an unhappy review. I knew when she came to our inn that she could not be satisfied. I would find her standing in the hall looking around to complain about something. I would like to address all of her complaints. I phoned her to talk about her experience but she would not talk to me and hung up. She took unfair pictures and posted them. We have recently added an antiques-look trim and shelf in the new bathroom. She took closeups of a bump in the paint and the antiqued finish and wrote it in as dirt. My husband and I took a cloth just for the heck of it and tried to see if we could get anything off and we couldn't - it is antiqued-look paint! We scrub the tile grout after every stay and she took an unclear photo of that also. We did take her advise and push the bad away from the wall so it would have access from all 3 sides instead of 2 sides although nobody has ever mentioned or complained about that before in our 8 years of business. I understand if you only look with a negative additude, you will never find the good points. She is a very pretty lady and I tried all I could to be positive with her. At first I was upset, now I just feel sorry for this woman. Please know we care very much about our customers and want them all to have a pleasant experience.
Albany
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 September 2013

We recently got the chance to stay at this lovely B&B It was myself and three 14 year old girls. The girls absolutely loved it! Nancy made us feel right at home and went out of her way to accommodate us. One morning over a delicious breakfast of blueberry pankcakes, the girls were talking about a moving the was coming out on DVD and how much they wanted to watch it. Nancy drove to the store to get it for the girls!!! When they asked to borrow a pair of scissors to decorate shirts, Nancy didn't hesitate! She treated the girls like her own. Unbelievable!!!
I stayed in the blue room which was wonderful and the girls stayed in the pink room with the attached bathroom. I would recommend either room. I actually preferred the blue room because although the bathroom is not attached it is private and very spacious . The girls loved the pink room which was very large with a couch and attached bathroom and close to the refrigerator and microwave.
We all had a marvelous time and can't wait to go back next year. I can not forget to mention the kitties... the kitties!!!! So cute. Just watch out for Pip he will steal your heart!

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank _1Happy2013
Framingham, Massachusetts
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 September 2013

It's against our better judgment to recommend Tom and Nancy's B&B so highly, because the next time we go to book with them, we may not be able to! This is a top-notch B&B run by top-notch hosts and the surroundings couldn't be nicer. The rooms are impeccably clean, the beds really comfy, and Nancy makes you feel right at home. She makes a wonderful breakfast, and if you'd like, she's happy to make fresh eggs any style which she gets right from the chicken coop out back. Not only are the hosts tremendously welcoming, the environment impeccably clean, the breakfast wonderfully hearty, but to top it all off, the BKS is up the street from wonderful Scarborough Beach. We're real beach lovers, and stayed here for a couple days for the first time back in July for our anniversary, and decided to go back in late August for my husband's birthday. Both times were terrific, and we couldn't recommend Tom and Nancy's B&B highly enough.

1 Thank tinkerbelle1254
Westerly, Rhode Island
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 August 2013

We recently had the pleasure of staying at this lovely B&B. It was a weekend to relax and get away for my husband's birthday. With just a day's notice, the owner's baked a special dessert for my husband to have with his breakfast the next morning in honor of his birthday. We thoroughly enjoyed the scampering little kittens and the laying hens on the property...it gave the place an air of being in the country though we were within walking distance of the beach and other conveniences. The owners, Tom and Nancy, are so friendly and so organized. The room was very clean and comfortable and had ample closet storage. I would highly recommend this bed and breakfast to anyone looking for comfort, convenience, and value. We hope to be back up in that area again soon so we can stay again!

Room Tip: I would probably choose the pink room which is larger and has its own bathroom in the room if you pr...
Cambridge, Massachusetts
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 August 2013

My two girlfriends and I have stayed here 2 years in a row. Went for a weekend trip to catch up and relax on the beach. This a great B&B with really great owners/host.

- Owners: Nancy and her husband are super hospitable and knowledgable. You can tell they really love to invite guests into their home and make them feel at home. Last year, when my girlfriends and I stupidly decided to walk to dinner and ended up walking back to the B&B in the dark, she called me to make sure we were ok walking in the dark and offered to pick us up. We appreciated her thoughtfulness and concern for her guests. They are also super knowledgeable about restaurants and things to do in Narragansett. Nancy suggested a great walk through the Newton Rocks and mansions... turned out to be a fun way to spend a slightly cloudy afternoon.

- Breakfast: Nancy is a great cook and makes the best blueberry pancakes. She also makes eggs with the eggs from the chickens out back. Super fun to eat some local food while chatting with Nancy and the other guests. Nancy also made sure to provide all the fixin's for coffee/tea/yogurt and fruit. Definitely provides a hearty breakfast to start the day

- Room: My girlfriends and I like the smallish cozy room for the three of us with a small bathroom and standing shower. It's the perfect size for a couple but a bit tight for 3. Still, we didn't mind because there aren't a ton of B&Bs in the area that will allow 3 ppl to one room. Bed is a bit too soft for my friends and the cot I slept in was fine because I took the mattress off the frame and slept on the floor. Room is equipped with robes and cable TV.

- Bathrooms: Clean and well equipped w/ shampoo/conditioner, soap and hair dryers.

- Animals: We loved the cat, 3 new kittens and the 2 chickens. If you don't like animals or allergic to cats, this is not the place for you. Chickens are funny and will eat anything.

- Amenities: The owners will provide beach towels, beach chairs and a place to park your car off the street. Beach is just 5 min walk to the beach so we didn't have to pay for beach entry.

- Neighborhood: This place is super close to the beach, a great little diner (where Nancy took us for breakfast one day - Johnny Cakes!) and walking distance to the Salt Pond where we went clam digging for the first time. Also a short drive to the Sunday farmer market. Small market but really fun to watch all the dogs socialize and get the best kettle corn ever.

Highly recommend this B&B and we will be returning year after year.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Also consider these accommodations in or near Narragansett
The Break
#7 of 8 in Narragansett
Hampton Inn South Kingstown - Newport Area
Newport Harbor Hotel & Marina
Gurney's Newport Resort & Marina

Been to Best Kept Secret B & B? Share your experiences!