“A touch of class in a beach town!”
Review of Basil's Restaurant - CLOSED

Basil's Restaurant
Price range: US$31 - US$50
Cuisines: French
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Cross street: Boon Street
Transit: Bus stop is in front of Restaurant.
Reviewed 6 May 2013

We wanted a large stuffed lobster during our recent stay in RI. I called 4 places known for lobster. Only Basil followed through. he found one and cooked it perfectly.
His restaurant is like a small French bistro, so you dress and act accordingly. The owner came out several times and made his way to every table to insure everything was perfect. From what I saw and heard everyone was happy.

We bought a home in the area and this place will be our regular Saturday night out!

Reviewed 2 May 2013

Basil's is a really lovely and fine restaurant that is worth going to. The food was excellent - fresh ingredients and very well prepared. There is an excellent wine list, though when we were there a number of wines were no longer available. (The server offered thoughtful alternatives though.) Appetizers were excellent and varied, and the entrees were equally good. I had the duck and all of us agreed that was the best of the entrees (it was really great). Portions are large. Parking is easy, and the service excellent. We got to meet and talk with the owner, and he was charming and clearly is very proud of his restaurant.

Reviewed 17 April 2013

An intimate setting with superb service and beyond excellant wine list. Chef Vasilios always prepares an outstanding meal with the best of ingredients. Always at the top of my list for fine dining in Rhode Island.

Reviewed 13 April 2013

My wife and I decided to go back to Basil's for a date night after a great meal there last summer. Having had such a nice experience before, we went in with higher expectations, even though we expected just to order something off of the weeknight fixed-price menu. As before, we were not disappointed.

Our server, Lauren, was the same server we had last time, and has been there for years. They seem to have a VERY small staff, which is okay, because the place only has about a dozen tables upstairs (and a very nice place downstairs, I guess for during high season.) Last time, there was one other couple dining in the restaurant, but this time, we had the whole place to ourselves, and Lauren gave us the perfect combination of time to ourselves and impeccable service and courtesy whenever she came out with something.

I decided to go with the sole parisienne, and my wife had the pork tenderloin, and we ordered the escargot appetizer off the menu. She had a salad to start, and I the mushroom soup, both of which were terrific. The escargot is incredible; the first time here was the first time I'd had snails not in snail salad, and it was tremendous both this time and last. Our entrees both came with mashed potatoes and a number of sauteed vegetables, including asparagus, broccoli, and carrots. My fish was fantastic; it had been sauteed with mushrooms which were served on top of it, and it was the perfect texture and taste. I only tried one taste of her pork, but it was also very tender. She chose flan for dessert, and I the chocolate mousse, and I loved the mousse (didn't try the flan.)

Rather than order an entire bottle of wine, we went with the individual serving of champagne during our appetizer and a half-bottle of wine at dinner. The total came to $123 and some change, which we thought was perfectly reasonable.

In all, this is a great little place, and Lauren's combination of friendliness and courtesy is a DEFINITE plus. Our compliments to the chef!

Reviewed 24 January 2013

Basil's has a very unassuming facade however,once you delve into its charm a transformation takes place.Stepping across the threshold the mood is set on behalf of the subdued lightning.The candle light makes for a discreet-romantic setting.Once your eyes adjust you'll find an eclectic French and Italian mix of plate offerings.There is a very nice wine list to round out the chef's choice of entries. It is a bit pricey but you do dine well in a civilized elegant setting.This is a place to leave behind the outside world of hand held info devices.A calm and relaxed place. We go to enjoy the food checking our cares at the door.Taste is everything and Basil's presents it well. James M.