“Ocean Rose Inn”
Review of Ocean Rose Inn

Ocean Rose Inn
Ranked #5 of 8 Hotels in Narragansett
Reviewed 19 January 2014

Have stayed at the Ocean Rose several times in the main house (not the motel) and found it to be quite nice. Had a lovely room overlooking the water. Turtle Soup Restaurant on the first floor of the Inn was excellent and offered outdoor seating in the summer.

Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Donna29727
Hotel S, Manager at Ocean Rose Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 21 January 2014

Thank you for letting us know that you enjoyed your stay at the Ocean Rose Inn. We are glad to hear that we met your expectations and look forward to you staying again with us in the future.

There are newer reviews for Ocean Rose Inn

Reviewed 23 September 2013

I read some reviews and thought how bad can it really be? It can be bad, believe me now! Room 37 is bad.
First and foremost, a mouse in the room when we came back from dinner, it jumped off the night stand and ran under the bed-there was a hole in the wall that we believe he ran into. We were shown 3 rooms and really did not want to stay in any of them. 1 room reeked of cigarette smoke, another smelled musty. We chose what we thought was the best of the 3. If that is not enough: the carpet was soiled and ragged. There was trash behind a nightstand (a Snyder pretzel bag). The lamp was missing a lightbulb. The toilet cycled constantly adding a little water to the tank every 15 seconds. The A/C sounded like a jet engine pulsing in the room. The base board heater covers were not attached, hanging and in disarray. Why there were dead gnats on the shower floor was beyond me. This room was presented as having a private deck, which was not private at all, it was a passage to the hotels back door. The deck furniture was frayed and pathetic. Some channels on the TV were distorted.

The lady that we talked to on Saturday seemed to be trying everything in her limited power to make things better but she did not have much to work with. When we complained to the man at the desk on Sunday he was not very understanding or accomadating, he shrugged his sholders.

Room Tip: Go somewhere else!
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
7  Thank JayR D
Lisa8011, Manager at Ocean Rose Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 28 September 2013

Thank you taking the time to let us know of your stay and the issues you encountered and bringing it to our attention. We are deeply disappointed that you were not able to enjoy your stay with us. Please accept our sincere apology. I have had the maintenance department and housekeeping go completely through the room and fix and repair all the issues and to ensure this does not happen again.

Reviewed 3 September 2013

We stayed at the Ocean Rose Inn for one night over Labor Day weekend. It was the only room I could find close to the beach at an Inn that didn't require 2/3 night minimum stays. The Inn is an old Victorian style home with a restaurant on the main level and maybe 8-10 rooms on the second and third floors. Our room was on the third floor. It had a king bed and was very spacious. The room was clean and the bed decently comfortable. The AC worked well, although a bit noisy, and we also had an overhead fan. The bathroom was fine - shampoo and soap were provided, no conditioner. I normally bring my own toiletries, but forgot this time, which was unfortunate. Also, it doesn't appear that the Inn has Wi-Fi. While the room was overpriced - there is a significant difference between the main house and the "motel annex" - we realize we were paying for location, which is really what this place has going for it. It is walking distance to the beach, restaurants and shopping. We didn't have a chance to try Turtle Soup, but it had a good crowd, both inside and outside. {Please also look for reviews on 'Crazy Burger', which is just around the corner. Amazing breakfast!}

Room Tip: Main house is nice - third floor might be best due to noise from restaurant on first floor. You may...
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
Lisa8011, Manager at Ocean Rose Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 8 September 2013

We are always pleased to hear that our guest’s expectations were met and exceeded. Thank you for taking time to let us know you had a great stay at the Inn. We look forward to you staying with us again in the future.

Reviewed 29 August 2013

There aren't that many options for staying in fairly affordable accommodations in RI's south county. This motel is a great location just across the street from the water (although Narragansett Beach is now $6/person and the inn provides no passes). We stayed in the motel part, behind the restaurant/inn building. The rooms are very small. We had 1 king bed. The bathroom has only a shower stall, which was a bit of a problem for us since our sandy little kids hate showers. If you are tall or more than 175 lbs. chances are you may not even FIT into the shower. But, all in all, it was a nice room, very good A/C, nice tv and great location.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
Lisa8011, Manager at Ocean Rose Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 3 September 2013

Thank you for letting us know that we were able to meet and exceed your expectations while staying with us. We look forward to seeing you again in the future.

Reviewed 19 August 2013

Arrived at hotel early and went in to ask desk clerk if we could park our car in the lot since we would be checking in at 3pm...clerk said that was fine and then asked the maid if the room was ready ... it was and we were allowed to check in early free of charge 2.5 hours early. Room was very large, beautiful furniture, bed comfy and clean. (See pics) Felt safe and secure at this hotel and there are deadbolts on the hotel room doors. Never had the chance to eat at the Turtle Soup Restaurant in the hotel, but will say it was crowded for a Sunday night. All personnel at hotel were friendly and helpful. A/C worked ... very cold. Overall, we would stay again, but next time would ask for a room with a deck for the view and ocean breezes. Hotel is in walking distance to the village.

Room Tip: If you can afford it, ask for a room with a deck. We had Room #36 which is actually towards the back...
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
Lisa8011, Manager at Ocean Rose Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 25 August 2013

Thank you for taking time to let us know of your wonderful experience with us. We are glad to hear we have met and exceeded your expectations.

Reviewed 14 August 2013

I have been staying at the Ocean Rose Inn for over 20 yrs. whenever I went to Narragansett. I've tried some of the other places and the Ocean Rose was by far the best....I said WAS. Over the years I've experienced several indicators that the Ocean Rose is sliding downhill. The first issue is that they automatically charge you half the cost of your stay when you make a reservation. This is against the merchant rules for MasterCard and Visa. I confirmed this with my credit card company and they told me they could intervene but that I might lose my reservation. At that point I spoke to the management of Ocean Rose and got a refund and kept my reservation as well...but not without a fight and them insisting that they ALWAYS do this and that every other place does it as well, but I've never experienced anyone else doing that but them. I told them that it is against their own merchants rules and that the credit card company backs me up on it. That's when they change their tune....but retained the bad attitude (probably because they know they are wrong and only getting away with it because people don't know it's not allowed). You can not charge for goods and services not provided. I made my reservation in May for an August stay. I am not paying for half of it in May. This battle went on for the last two times I stayed there.

This stay unfortunately is the last stay for me unless lots of improvements are made quickly. Our room was pitifully small (Rm# 20) and located in-between two very noisy families with young children. The neighbors above us must have been moving furniture for hours also because all we could hear was banging coupled with yelling and bumps/bangs on the walls from the other two families. It was misery in stereo! And that wasn't even the bad part.

When we got in the room we noticed a musty smell. We turned on the air conditioner to see if that would improve the smell. When we came back from dinner the smell was overwhelming! We called the front desk and they were more than happy to come out and spray a Febreez like mixture everywhere and spit out very well rehearsed excuses that involved everything but the fact that maintenance is not being done; upgrades are not being done; general deep cleaning is not being done and I strongly suspect filters are not changed in the air conditioners.

We tried to leave the windows open but there are no screens on them so bugs were able to get in and this was a ground floor room so it would be unsafe anyway to leave it open. It was also impossible to see through the windows as they were permanently mucked up in-between the panes and should be replaced. We ended up using a fan we brought with us, all night long and left the air conditioner off. We also noticed that there was more than one area of the ceiling that was bubbled out and had been painted over and was now beginning to flake off. It looked like the ceiling had been very wet and instead of doing proper maintenance they just painted over it. I'm willing to bet there is mold there also. One wall had some of that bubbled out and painted over look as well.

The room had a very small bathroom. Only one person fit in there at a time and you could barely turn around. There was a shower stall only and no pressure to speak of in the shower. We were left two towels; two washcloths and 1 already opened and slightly used roll of toilet paper...no spare. There was one very tiny sliver of a bar of soap and one equally small bottle of shampoo. There was a coffee maker that was the cheapest one I've ever seen in my life...all plastic; no coffee pot to it and made only one cup at a time, but the cups provided didn't hold up to the heat of the coffee. There was one very small garbage pail in the bathroom; none in the main room. No hair blower or iron and not even a box of tissues.

The beds had good sheets and blankets on them, all white so it was easy to check for dirt and/or bugs. I am happy to say none were found. The mattresses themselves were pathetic. Every movement in the bed created a jello-like effect that was very difficult to adjust to. The mattresses need to be replaced as do the lumpy soft pillows that were provided. I had to ball up my bathrobe and stuff it under the pillow to create any resemblance to a normal pillow.

The next morning we tried to get ice for our coolers before leaving but the ice machine just made a horrible clunking/thumping noise and would only produce a few chips of half melted ice cubes at a time. The area around the ice machine was full of garbage; standing stagnant pools of greenish water; old machinery, various bits of garbage and an odd smell. The dumpster out back was wide open in every area that could be open (this is the norm for them and has been looking like this for years!) and smelled very bad as well as having pieces of garbage strewn all around it in about a 3 foot area.

I said I've been coming to the Ocean Rose for many years. I've brought a lot of people there and recommended it to many of my friends. I don't believe that they will make the changes that are so desperately needed because I don't think they have the money needed to do it. And I've stuck in there with them for a long time because I understand that times are very tough and there may not be enough money to do the work that needs to be done. But so much of what was wrong on this stay was just plain negligence; filthy areas that are ignored; general maintenance that must be done and isn't being done and only young college kids available to assist with any problems.
I was charged $134 for this room and I got a room that was worth $50 tops. It's very sad to see a good place go down. But I also can't see how I can continue to go there with this level of escalating disappointment happening at every visit. So sad!

Room Tip: The restaurant "Turtle Soup" is good but stay somewhere else.
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends
sknri, Manager at Ocean Rose Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 15 August 2013

Thank you for taking the time to let us know of your stay and that we are truly disappointed to hear of the issues you mentioned. We will definitely check into, review and address the issues you have raised with the management staff and take corrective action. I would like to clarify, and that it is not against our merchant policy to require a 50% deposit at the time of booking your room. We do not require that you prepay the entire stay ahead of time but that we do require a 50% deposit and balance is due upon check in. .

Reviewed 13 August 2013

If you are the type of person who expects these "seasonal" places to be the Marriot or Hilton, then you are for dissapointment instantly. What has to be expected from places like the Ocean Rose Inn at Narragansett is a nice, clean, cozy place where you can find friendly staff, get rest and enjoy what the area has to offer. This particular hotel is one of my favorites. My wife and I have been staying here for the past 3 years without a problem. The staff is friendly and we like the fact that is clean. I think that as long as they keep the place clean, it will always be welcomed. We stayed here during July 4th weekend at one of the main building rooms. The room was so big, it can pass for a small apartment. It was very very nice. As long as they keep the friendly staff and clean rooms, we'll continue to stay here.

Room Tip: The rooms in the main building are HUGE! a bit pricey but you won't complain about it once you t...
1  Thank lbeni540

We are glad to hear that we have met and exceeded your expectations and you enjoyed your stay with us. We look forward to you visiting us again in the future.
Regards

Also consider these accommodations in or near Narragansett
Aqua Blue Hotel
Newport Harbor Hotel & Marina
Holiday Inn South Kingstown
Holiday Inn South Kingstown
#2 of 2 in South Kingstown

Been to Ocean Rose Inn? Share your experiences!