“First time camper loved it.”

Fishermen's Memorial State Park and Campground
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Narragansett
Fishermen's Memorial State Park and Campground
W. Greenwich
“First time camper loved it.”
Reviewed 31 August 2010

Recently went camping with my husband, daughter, another couple and their kids at Fisherman's Memorial. We booked "last minute" being about 4 weeks ago and reserved the only spot I could find for the weekend that we were all able to go. I figured it would probably be the worst spot in the place, but we got lucky - at least we thought so, as it was actually really nice and served many of our preferences (quiet spot, not much people traffic, NOT near the bathrooms, and located on the edge of the property with woods on one side). Things I liked about F.M. - the grassy camping areas, the super easy check-in with pre-registration on-line through ReserveAmerica, the location near the beaches and Galilee, sun-sets over the mud flats, picnic tables, firepits and shade trees at all locations in our area, farmer's market on Sunday mornings, hot "quarter" showers and decently clean bathrooms, and of course, the $18/night fee for our electric/water hook-up site. I did not mind the proximity of the park to the roads as I live on a main road and am used to traffic noise anyway....and it's really not too loud. We brought a small tabletop fan mainly for the purpose of "white noise" for our two dogs at night and that sufficiently blocked out any nightime traffic or other random campground noises that may have set them off, or kept us up. If I had to nit-pick things that I didn't like I would probably mention that there is not much of a buffer between you and your neighboring site - wish it was a little more wooded, and it would be great if they had a pool and a more kid-friendly playground. The playground they do have is very isolated from the rest of the park and in FULL sun - not so fun on a hot weekend. The kids didn't even seem interested. They did have a lot of fun meeting other kids in the park and riding their scooters all over the nicely paved roads throughout. I think F.M. Park is a great way to spend time with family and friends in one of my favorite areas of RI. I love the beach and shopping, eating in Galilee and would like to include a day in Block Island on our next trip. We plan on booking two neighboring spots for next summer as we all had a great time!

• Stayed August 2010, travelled with family
11 Thank bweikie

Solo
Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Forked River, NJ
Reviewed 28 September 2007

We have been going to Fisherman's Memorial for years, and we love it. As a campground, it's pretty good - maybe not the best, because it's located near roads, etc. But the campground is very nice, the sites are good, and it is really, really quiet at night (in fact, so quiet that you can hear fog horns throughout the night). Yes, maybe an occasional truck driving by on nearby roads, but for a nice campground that is not in the woods, this place is pretty good. Gets REALLY crowded at prime times (summer, off-season holidays), but worth it to try to snag a reservation. Plus, you can't beat the location for the price. It's about 1 mile or less from the beach, Pt. Judith Lighthouse, Galilee (ferries to Block Island), etc. Since the hotels in Naragansett aren't all that special (see the reviews), this is a great alternative! Particularly for those of us who have an RV!!

As an extra bonus, we primarily head to RI for surf, and it is fantastic in this area! We go in the Fall, weather is great, scenery is great, food and drink (Newport Oktoberfest!!) is great, and waves are usually pretty good. I hear the fishing is real good too.

Restaurants? Aunt Carries if open (clamcakes), Iggys (clamcakes), Dads in town (bkfast), Charlies O's ($$ but good). Several good little seafood and pizza places.

All in all, a great place!

• Liked — Location, clean, quiet.
  • Disliked — Nothing - its great!!
  • Stayed October 2006, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
11 Thank SurfTravelGuy
Massachusetts
Reviewed 30 March 2006

Fisherman's Memorial State Park is so awesome!!! I have been going there every year since I was two years old (now 26), so for a long time - and what I love, love, love about it most is that it is still basically the same place it was when I was little. The beaches are walking distance (well, that is, if you like to get your exercise) - a little over a mile away.... I like going to the port of Galilee and the beach there - it is a real family beach and you can talk with friendly locals there (that you will see every day in their own little spots at the beach). Also at that beach/area of Galilee are the fishing boats, the beautiful old ones that have the two huge nets that come down slowly as they go out. They are so fun to watch! And of course, the ferries that come in and out of Galilee to/from Block Island. From the campsites (we have a tent and camp in Area 3 - currently $20/night), you can hear the boats' foghorns in the middle of a foggy night, and early in the morning, though the distance is enough that it makes them not so loud that they bother you. I actually love, and look forward to, listening to them...as well as the birds that you hear early in the morning singing away as you wake up. I always wake up with the sunlight there. :)

At the campgrounds, there are basketball courts, tennis courts, a playground for kids with a swingset, a pavilion with picnic tables, fun little trails in their wooded area, and a cool WWII bunker underground beneath the woods...There is also access to the popular clamming area, where you can see the people walking in water and mud searching for their clams from the little highway road on your way to the beach at Galilee. There is a bathroom with coin-operated showers in each camping area (4 areas total - separated by type of camping you are doing - RV, Tent, water & electric, just water, etc.). You must wash your own dishes, and do so at your campsite... Each site has a place to make a fire, surrounded by rocks, and a picnic table. Area 3 (for tents) has many little trees and bushes, although some of the sites are grassier than others, some are better hidden in little bush-cubbies than others - but each is different and cool in its own way. I love this area of Rhode Island and Fisherman's so much - it is such a rich part of my childhood, and still is such a rich part of my enjoyment of life today...and I plan to make it a part of my children's history as well (although I don't have children yet, but soon). :)

23 Thank HeLeadethMe
Also consider these accommodations in or near Narragansett
The Break
#2 of 6 in Misquamicut
Weekapaug Inn
Weekapaug Inn
#2 of 17 in Westerly

Been to Fishermen's Memorial State Park and Campground? Share your experiences!